Dish Network double charged my credit card...

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Well folks it happened to me. Yesterday I made a one time payment on my Dish bill. The first attempt the site said it was having technical problem double check the info and try again. Ok re checked my card info it was fine hit the pay now button and again said it could'nt process the payment and to try later. Ok so I leave the site go do a few things on the Internet. Logged back on to the site tried to make a payment success it went through got my authorization number as usual.

Great I thought its paid!!! Leave the house go to the store and tried to use my card. It kicked back as declined. So I home check my checking acct info and sure enough there was 2 payments listed as paid to Dish for 121.32.

As you can imagine I was not too happy so I called Dish immediately the CSR says there only have 1 payment listed on their system I explained I had my bank statement and it shows 2 deductions paid to Dish. The girl suggested I check with my bank. Ok I thought so I went to my bank and they said basically that they could'nt help me it was Dish Networks problem. Ok so today called Dish again explained the problem and the CSR could'nt help and transfereed me to the executive office. The lady in the office explained again the payment is only showing up once and suggested that I wait till Monday for the payments to be posted and if it shows up she'll issue a credit to my card for the overpayment so I have her direct number in to the executive office and I have a appt to called her Monday morning. Wish me luck.
Just to clarify I have a debit card with a Master Card logo so I treat as always like a credit card. And please don't suggest auto pay as that method does'nt work for me.

The motto I guess to the story is that pay by check the old fashioned way its safer.

Bob Hale
N1WBD
Grafton,NH

I've never ever had a problem with auto-pay, never. While that doesn't mean it could not happen, i just don't think its a big issue, and moaning about it in public really doesn't accomplish a whole lot, just prove to Dish you got charged twice and they should credit you the next month.. How tough can this be..

normang said:
I've never ever had a problem with auto-pay, never. While that doesn't mean it could not happen, i just don't think its a big issue, and moaning about it in public really doesn't accomplish a whole lot, just prove to Dish you got charged twice and they should credit you the next month.. How tough can this be..

Well for one I'm not moaning. Just thought it would be interesting to mention it.

I am sure everyday somewhere, a billing issue occurs for someone. Not just with Dish, but virtually every company that sends one. I've had a few, but they are rare for me, sometimes things just happen...

n1wbd said:
The motto I guess to the story is that pay by check the old fashioned way its safer.
Until it gets lost in the mail, or worse, gets washed and your account gets overdrawn for $1213.20

i feel fo you, you are not the only person to have money issues with dish. it can be difficult in some cases to get it back. i don't think you situation will be that hard. good luck.

it is possible that the 2nd charge may have posted to another acct in error.. that maybe why the csr didnt see the 2nd charge on your acct.. this is what you can do.. csr's have a credit card payment search tool. the csr can search your credit card number and every time it was charged will appear in front of him.. they will then see the other account it posted to and do the refund or payment transfer.. your choice..

When I was a csr, I had a customer call in who had tryed to make a $60 check over the phone through the automated system a few days earlier... ether the system or the guys finger must have went crazy and entered a few more zeros and charged his account $60,000. funny thing is, the check cleared.. I jokingly asked the guy if he would like the credit to remain on his acct for future bills... he said "I pay $30 a month, my kids can pay their own TV bill when I'm dead"... that was the biggest refund adjustment I ever made

If you just made the charge yesterday Its not very likely that the actual charge has already posted to your account.
What your seeing more than likely is a Temp Authorization for the charge against your account that does get posted right away.
The actual charge can take upto a week to be sent from the merchant and actually processed.
When this happens the Temp is removed and the actual charge get posted to your account.
What likely happened is due to website problems two credit card authorizations were put thru but only one actually processed thru the Dish system and resulted in a actual charge being made against your account.
Problem is Temp authorizations due count against your Max Card limit and can take 30 days befor they automatically drop off the account when a actual charge does not come thru for it.

If you can't verifiy this type of account detail online then call your credit card company and they will beable to tell you if its a Temp authorization or actual charge posted.
Call the customer service number on your Visa or mastercard not your bank direct.

When I had V* autopay, got TEMP double charge each month on my debit card. When the actual charge showed up on my checking account, the first TEMP disappeared. Then about a week later, the second TEMP disappeared.

This is the difference between Debit and credit cards and only those who are too foolish or too poor to get credit cards use debit. With a credit card, you have control as you can refuse to pay and they have to sue you to get the money. With debit, the money is taken out and you have to try and get it back.

You need to write a letter (calling is insufficient) to both the bank and to Dish charging each of them with the responsibility for the problem. But if you can, take your debit card and burn it, then write to the bank and tell them you no longer want a debit card as they cannot guarantee that you won't be cheated. Then get yourself a credit card.

Before retiring, I did computer security for many years. And I always told people that when they deal on the internet especially (but evan on phone or local dealings), that only fools and poor people use debit cards. You have just discovered one reason.

Be thankful you are dealing with a big company as it is easier to take action against them as compared to some small out of town fly-by-night company (well on second thought, they aren't really that big :D )

JohnP

jpezz said:
This is the difference between Debit and credit cards and only those who are too foolish or too poor to get credit cards use debit. With a credit card, you have control as you can refuse to pay and they have to sue you to get the money. With debit, the money is taken out and you have to try and get it back.

You need to write a letter (calling is insufficient) to both the bank and to Dish charging each of them with the responsibility for the problem. But if you can, take your debit card and burn it, then write to the bank and tell them you no longer want a debit card as they cannot guarantee that you won't be cheated. Then get yourself a credit card.

Well I just got rid of all my credit cards. I like debit cards this is the first time anything like this has happened in 7 years. I suppose I could consider my self lucky. We shall see what happens.

jpezz & n1wbd both have valid points, and both types of card are useful in their place.

I keep a low-limit CREDIT card for E* autopay and a couple of other things.

I have a debit card for ATM & grocery store use type uses.

Heck - I even have a PayPal debit card that I can use if the situation calls for it.

Nothing on my card will ever be double-charged because I use Virtual Account Numbers from Citi Cards. This program lets you generate a virtual account number off your account so that you don't ever have to give your actual credit card number over the internet. You can also set a limit on each virtual number. If the company tries to charge more than that amount (or double-charge it), it will be automatically declined. I just create a virtual number limited for the exact amount of the charge and there is nothing DISH can do to over-charge it.

SimpleSimon said:
jpezz & n1wbd both have valid points, and both types of card are useful in their place.

I keep a low-limit CREDIT card for E* autopay and a couple of other things.

I have a debit card for ATM & grocery store use type uses.

Heck - I even have a PayPal debit card that I can use if the situation calls for it.

Personally I like debit cards, you can't spend more than what you have and you don't have to pay a credit card bill every month. My particular card has a Mastercard logo. I would have thought you would have the same right as a CC holder to contest a charge. But I guess not. I have held a debit card for over 7 years and never had a problem till now.

The thing is Dish did not double charge you, YOU double paid. When ever any problem is encountered making an online type payment wait untill things have time to post to the accounts (like the next day) then check both the acounts to see if payment actually did or didn't happen. Then do over if needed.

n1wbd said:
Personally I like debit cards, you can't spend more than what you have and you don't have to pay a credit card bill every month. My particular card has a Mastercard logo. I would have thought you would have the same right as a CC holder to contest a charge. But I guess not. I have held a debit card for over 7 years and never had a problem till now.

Yes, you can contest a charge with a debit card. However, they have the money and you have to prove they took it without authorization vs the credit card where you have the money and they have to prove you authorized them to take it. That's one problem.

The other problem is that the money is directly out of your account so if you were counting on having that money and suddenly you find a $50 or $500 or $5000 charge that drains your account, what happens to all those checks you wrote and those other "charges" you want to make? Suddenly, merchants think you are trying to cheat them and you find you can't use the card as there are "insufficient funds" available. Even if you win and the merchant made a mistake overcharging you, you are out the funds until they fix the problem or the bank decides you were right. Meanwhile a check on the same account might bounce.

Sorry about getting off topic as this issue was about Dish mistakes, not credit vs debit.

John

n0qcu said:
The thing is Dish did not double charge you, YOU double paid. When ever any problem is encountered making an online type payment wait untill things have time to post to the accounts (like the next day) then check both the acounts to see if payment actually did or didn't happen. Then do over if needed.

Well you can call it double paid. But if you read the beginning of the thread the first 2 attempts were "rejected" due to an error in THEIR online payment where it told me it did not process due to technical problem. When in fact a payment was indeed made during the one of the first 2 attempts but the site erroneously reported it did'nt go thru. On the 3rd attempt that day the payment was processed with no problem. The error is Dish's not mine in fact the extra charge was posted immediately to my checking acct. and have the bank statement to prove it. Luckily none of my checks bounced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)