Dish Network Earnings Call

I'm willing to bet that their focus groups had their best customers involved. I'm considered a best customer, AEP +HD ultimate, get Gameplan every year as well. I don't consider this a big loss *as long as* they uplink other HD channels in the next couple weeks in place of the Voom's.

By the way, I have a 110" diagonal screen myself... TV size doesn't mean you are a great customer.
Not sure where you got the implication that tv size is related to customer status... I said HD snob.

Anyway, I'm sure the movie studios had focus groups for both Incredible Hulk movies too.

I just spoke with a CSR and she said: "We do have some new "HD" channels "in the works". My reply: "Yeah, well one day cars will levitate and run off hydrogen, possibly in the next 30 years". I explained how virtually NONE of the channels they added are in HD and she said: "yes, they are". I said anything with 2 HUGE black bars on the side is NOT HD. I asked if she had HDTV and she said "no". 'Nuff said....................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now Charlie is talking about his Management style as playing poker, sometimes you need to fold for 10 hours in order to win the big pot.

Anyone think this guy is bluffing? They could have removed all the Voom channels. Maybe he is looking for a new deal.

Charlie did make a reference to poker earlier.......

Well, it looks like Dish was the "HD leader" for about 12 hours. Good job, Dish!

Wonder where the bluff is.... 10 hours without Voom or 10 hours as the HD leader... ;)

Did anyone read their 10Q statement? They are involved in about a million lawsuits right now. If you are a lawyer looking for work, I'm sure Dish is hiring :)

Agreed. That's the only Voom channel I cared about. Monsters is irreplaceable. Chiller is OK, but nothing like Monsters.

I second that. Monsters HD was one awesome channel. Not sure about you other horror fans, but those old enough to remember the magazine "Famous Monsters of Filmland", well the lettering on the logo for Monsters HD was the typeface used for the title of the famous magazine. Whoever designed Monsters HD and their logos was indeed a true horror fan. I am really lost now without it and Film Fest. Film Fest was showing classic Hollywood movies like Gentlemen prefer Brunettes, Exodus, Man of La Mancha...these great Hollywood titles have never been shown on any other channel in high def.

I wrote a letter to Dish today about Monsters HD and they wrote back recommending Chiller. Ok thanks, a standard def channel that I have to move to the next tier of programming to get, I can't afford it.

I watched Voom all the time, I could always count on seeing something on each channel in true high def 24 hours a day! . Most of my newscast viewings were on the Voom news channel, every single story and broadcast on that channel was in hd-even news feeds from around the world, and it looked fantastic.

Then I spent the day today scanning the new channels. WOW WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. I got so much stretched material it was scary, and most of what I saw was 4:3 with the black bars on the side. And worse yet, some of these channels took programs that were originally in the 4:3 aspect ratio, cut the top and bottom off to make it 16:9. And the Cartoon Network? Not a single high def program. I don't think, as far as true high definition goes, we were given any type of treat the last few days. The only true high def 24 hour networks added that I see are MGM and the new Cinemax. At least they gave me something for my Film Fest withdrawl, but the movies were better on Film Fest.

I second that. Monsters HD was one awesome channel. Not sure about you other horror fans, but those old enough to remember the magazine "Famous Monsters of Filmland", well the lettering on the logo for Monsters HD was the typeface used for the title of the famous magazine. Whoever designed Monsters HD and their logos was indeed a true horror fan. I am really lost now without it and Film Fest. Film Fest was showing classic Hollywood movies like Gentlemen prefer Brunettes, Exodus, Man of La Mancha...these great Hollywood titles have never been shown on any other channel in high def.

I wrote a letter to Dish today about Monsters HD and they wrote back recommending Chiller. Ok thanks, a standard def channel that I have to move to the next tier of programming to get, I can't afford it.

I watched Voom all the time, I could always count on seeing something on each channel in true high def 24 hours a day! . Most of my newscast viewings were on the Voom news channel, every single story and broadcast on that channel was in hd-even news feeds from around the world, and it looked fantastic.

Then I spent the day today scanning the new channels. WOW WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. I got so much stretched material it was scary, and most of what I saw was 4:3 with the black bars on the side. And worse yet, some of these channels took programs that were originally in the 4:3 aspect ratio, cut the top and bottom off to make it 16:9. And the Cartoon Network? Not a single high def program. I don't think, as far as true high definition goes, we were given any type of treat the last few days. The only true high def 24 hour networks added that I see are MGM and the new Cinemax. At least they gave me something for my Film Fest withdrawl, but the movies were better on Film Fest.

Chiller is a horrible channel. Should not be compared to Monsters.

Focus group? You've got to be kidding me.... Do know what a focus group is? It's when the CEO forms a group of people that gives him the answer HE wants to hear. I've worked for a fortune 500 company for over thirty years. It never different and always meaningless.

I'm going to miss VOOM and MonstersHD...half the fun of having these channels was being able to watch something without being bombarded by obnoxious advertisements every five freakin' minutes...and why the hell does everyone think SciFi Channel is so great? They ruin absolutely everything they show with incessant and poorly-timed commerical advertising and their movies are stupid predictable repetitive CGI crap...and Chiller is not much better...

Then I spent the day today scanning the new channels. WOW WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. I got so much stretched material it was scary, and most of what I saw was 4:3 with the black bars on the side.

Well, which is it? Stretched or pillarboxed? It can't be both!

There's plenty to complain about people, but please try to focus. So many of you are just ranting.

Originally Posted by mntwister

Then I spent the day today scanning the new channels. WOW WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. I got so much stretched material it was scary, and most of what I saw was 4:3 with the black bars on the side.

Well, which is it? Stretched or pillarboxed? It can't be both!

There's plenty to complain about people, but please try to focus. So many of you are just ranting.

M Sparks....some of us are upset about losing the Voom 15 all-hd commercial free channels. Allow us to have our anger about it. Having a place to vent together like this is good for people.

As for your question how much is stretched and how much pillarboxed on the new channels? C'mon, I didn't count or take figures, be reasonable...but alot of what I saw and have seen since is either/or. In my opinion our amount of true HD material is much lower than before the loss of Voom, not to mention tons of commercials now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts