Dish Network FlexTV Questions..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Zachstar

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Hello folks.

I was utterly devastated to learn that the prepaid option was coming to an end. I have absolutely NO will to be involved in some contract or commitment and the idea of installing the dish and paying for what you want when you want myself was like a dream come true until I learned of its ending.

So I read of this new FlexTV option. Apparently you still buy the equipment but you have to "Load" funds into their system and purchase by the month with of course a requirement to get one of the standard packs of channels before you can get HBO... That is an assumption because I have found little info that is straightforward. One source says free installation another says 150 USD activation. So like the prepaid topic I request info on this program. Please assume I am completely without knowledge on this topic. As such some questions.

A) Where can I find official info?

B) Can I only get it through a local retailer?

C) If no to above is a local sat business the best way to go on this?

D) Is installation free? Mandatory?

E) Is there an activation fee? Does this fee mean the cost of a basic setup? (Basic SD Tuner wire and dish?)

F) Is it true that if I pay for the tuners from them I will not incur any "lease fees" up to 6 receivers?

G) I have 3 Receivers from my parents who had ended their subscription to Dish years ago. Model: DP301 is it possible to reuse these receivers with a new smart card? If so I assume these smart cards are provided by dish or the retailer?

H) If I wish to use 2 receivers in the same room. Is it allowed to install a splitter inside a room? Is this likely to cost?

I) Is there an accurate list to the cost from Dish or the retailer of receivers? I am kinda sorta interested in HD but if just the receiver costs 200 USD I will be perfectly fine with SD.

J) How does Dish Network collect payment for this? Am I allowed to "Fill" an account with funds to be used for programming? Can I use paypal?

I know that with a bit more searching I could find some answers to these questions however, I have already found contradicting info so I would rather hear it from the experts on this forum. Thank you for your help and info!

The quick easy explanation of Flex.

Flex is a purchase program. You buy your hardware and installation is free for up to 4 tv's.

Programming is simple. Just pick the package you want, Dish will bill you your first month up front before they will activate system, and you will be billed for each month following. You just have to make sure your bill is paid before the shut off date.
If you want PPV you will have to pay for it over the phone first before Dish will turn on your movie or sporting event.

There are many options for paying your bill. CC autopay (can use a debit card here as well), mail a check, any bill paying source- bluedot, Western Union, IPP,etc.
Pay pal is NOT an option.

Important note. If you do not pay your bill by the shut off day your programming will be shut off at midnight of that day. This is important to customers who want to send a check. I'm seeing most of these customers getting shut off because their check doesn't hit until the day it's due or just afterwords. It's better to pay early in these cases.

So here it is again. Very simple.
Buy your hardware
Get free install up to 4 tv's
prepay your bill each month

That's it.

That info helps a great deal. I assume you are a retailer by the way you are speaking?

However what if a customer has hardware he/she had from a previous install? Does dish demand you sell the customer new hardware or can you hand a customer a smartcard and send them on their way?

If a customer stops paying the programming just stops until its paid again right? No fines or such?

Calling my local Dish Network number only resulted in a VERY Rude hangup by the person on the other end because I just wanted info and apparently they want a phone number for that. I called for info and I was rudely disconnected :(

Prepaid was alot easier than this I am sure...

I am sorry to bump this again but I really do need these questions answered. Already it looks like I will just have to go with Comcast and I would rather not if this could work.

That info helps a great deal. I assume you are a retailer by the way you are speaking?

However what if a customer has hardware he/she had from a previous install? Does dish demand you sell the customer new hardware or can you hand a customer a smartcard and send them on their way?

If a customer stops paying the programming just stops until its paid again right? No fines or such?

Retailers do not stock or are allowed to carry smart cards. You may find it to be a bigger hastle trying to go that route rather than just letting the retailer supply you new hardware.

Yes on the programming question. But if the bill isn't paid after 15 days Dish can consider you a disconnect and demand early termination fees.

Also I need to correct my statement regarding the free installation. After reading the rules again it states that free install is for 2 tv's only.

That ends my interest for sure now. I thought that this was a way to "pay" for service like buying a year of Skype for a certain amount. If I want to end it no way in heck do I want to pay "termination fees"

The more a read the more I am depressed. Its no wonder they want to kill prepaid as they make a fortune on all these fees and whatnot.

My questions remain however as there may be others who are interested.

Termination fees..

I'm not so sure about that termination fees thing. For FlexTV you have to own the equipment, either by buying it yourself or buying it from them. The only thing they are providing is a "free" install, and if you are a current or prior subscriber, then there is no install. Plus, the whole reason for FlexTV is to give you the ability to pay for it month by month as you choose with no commitment to continue month to month. Think we need a retailer on here to clarify that some.

I'm not so sure about that termination fees thing. For FlexTV you have to own the equipment, either by buying it yourself or buying it from them. The only thing they are providing is a "free" install, and if you are a current or prior subscriber, then there is no install. Plus, the whole reason for FlexTV is to give you the ability to pay for it month by month as you choose with no commitment to continue month to month. Think we need a retailer on here to clarify that some.

I agree alot more info is requested.

Basically, it's $149.95 for a single sd receiver with a dish and the installation. Customer is required to pay the 149.95 and the 1st months programming upfront before the account can be activated. Once everything is hooked up and is working you basically get a bill every month. If you miss any payments for are disconnected. You have 15 days to make your payment before you are deactivated. There is no credit card or social security number required to sign up. Just pay the money up front and pick your programming. It's fairly simple.

Can someone buy a receiver off of ebay then use it for the promotion and hook it up themselves? If someone has ran up a balance in the past will they be able to use the same name with this Flex promotion to activate a system? From what I understand there is no social security number required?

I've also asked some of the same questions about converting from NOW to FLEX on the Sadoun forums, but no reply for a week now. I think they either don't know, or don't want to say, as the current promotion specifies "purchase required".....

as per my reference form on all the different programs we have it's assuming you purchase said receivers from dish...149 covers installation and the cost of the 322.....you may be able to purchase from other means but it doesn't go into detail...if i had to guess probably no...so flex tv is for those who credit is in the crapper.....if you have ok credit but dont want a contract the just go DHA

FLEX TV

OK, the amount of misinformation in this thread is killing me. I AM an authorized retailer, I just read over the business rules concerning Flex TV for another customer, and here is the scoop:

There is NO EARLY TERMINATION FEE. NONE. There is NO CONTRACT OR AGREEMENT WHATSOEVER between Dish Network and the customer, other than if the customer pays in advance for programming, the receiver will display it. Dish Network gets no paperwork at all from the customer. No SSN, no CC# (unless the customer chooses to pay in this manner), and no SERVICE ADDRESS. All Dish gets (and all Dish needs) is a receiver number, and a smart card number. Dish is making no investment and taking no risk at all with Flex TV customers (other than cost of advertising the FLEX TV option, which is quickly recouped by the monthly subscription income).

As far as I can tell, the upfront fees are negotiable between the retailer and the customer. But the $150 does not cover the cost of the equipment plus the install as far as the retailer is concerned... It's about $50 for the dish and supplies, $50 for a 301, leaving a paltry $50 for the work of performing the install. It's not worth traveling to the job site. I could find no information whatsoever after reading all the business rules when it comes to Dish's compensation towards the retailer for getting a FLEX TV account. Probably $100 or so if anything at all. I didn't bother calling retail service on this issue, cause it just isn't worth the 10 min on the phone...

You could purchase all of the equipment yourself, except the receiver, install it yourself, the contact a retailer to get the receiver. Probably wouldn't do it for free, but may be willing to do it for less than $150.

There IS however, a REACTIVATION FEE if your service is cut off due to non-payment. But instead of $25 like it is for regular customers, I think it's only like $5... Can't find the paperwork at the moment.

Also, the free HBO and free cinemax for a year, and some other promotions are still available under FLEX TV.

It really is a shame Dish Network doesn't take the time to throw this basic info up on their website...

Last edited:
Can someone buy a receiver off of ebay then use it for the promotion and hook it up themselves?

It won't work because you have to order FLEXTV service from a retailer. The retailer will have to send you a fresh receiver from their inventory. The receiver is tied up to the retailer account and that is how he will get paid for his sales commission.

The $149 will cover SD receiver, Dish, and basic Installation.

If someone has ran up a balance in the past will they be able to use the same name with this Flex promotion to activate a system? From what I understand there is no social security number required?

NO, because you will still have to use your name and address when the retailer sign you up for FLEX TV. If you have past history with DN and balance due, it will not allow you to proceed until those are taken care of.

That 5 USD Reactivation fee is still related and in my view silly as it ought to be a simple software switch to reactivate things.

Also it looks like FLEX is quite a burden of Retailers. I called all my local retailers and they said they did not support FlexTV were they lying because they diddnt want to do it or what?

That 5 USD Reactivation fee is still related and in my view silly as it ought to be a simple software switch to reactivate things.

Also it looks like FLEX is quite a burden of Retailers. I called all my local retailers and they said they did not support FlexTV were they lying because they diddnt want to do it or what?

Yes, it is a burden. No, they were not lying. They are not BOUND in any way into being forced to accept FlexTV customers (or even regular DHA customers with great credit)...

I'd give you tons more information, but I've made that mistake in the past...

OK, the deal with retailers and FlexTV is that the retailers make nothing on these and have lots to lose if you're late on your bill more than once. This is all the information about this program you, as the end user, needs to know.

You can call Dish directly and order through them with no problems. The only difference betwenn Flex and Dish Now is that you have more options in hardware to purchase and you can go up to 4 TV's.

No you can't use boxes from E-bay or anywhere else except from Dish directly.

You still buy your hardware and you still prepay for your programming without having to buy cards that you have to install and download. It's not that confusing.

Can I start a Flex account with a brand new receiver I purchase myself? I will install the dish.

Also, is there any limitation to receivers or programming - i.e., can I get HD with a 722K?

Once I have the flex account, can I add used receivers to it? Is the limitation still six?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts