Dish Network Frustration and Bricked 622 Boot 981.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, PVA: Professional Video Alliance
Original poster
Corporate Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 13, 2003
New England
hi guys
thought I would do a quick post.

My 622 unit is showing a boot 981 error so I decided to call Dish for replacement and while calling I decided to discuss my monthly bill. Ive been a customer for more than 10 years.

I am currently paying $162 per month which I thought was quite high. Dish is a service I routinely use but I also have DirectTV. Many of my clients appreciate the fact that I have both services but the current economics of the time are having me reconsider my monthly expenses.

After talking with 2 CS people, my bill was reduced to $141 monthly. Then I am told that do own my gear (4 receivers) but I am still being charged a $31 monthly fee. Like "what the heck??". This person didnt seem to care too much and said she spoke to another person and was told nothing else could be done for me.

Does anybody else think that $1700 annually is past the point of excess?

Scott G sent me a PM and suggested that I speak with somebody on the DIRT team so I have PM'd Matt. If I dont hear back from Matt, I will PM Mary. Is there anybody else I can speak to about this ?

In the meantime I have cancelled my service. They were very prompt to do this ":-/ "

Does anybody have any thoughts about my situation?

Gregg

Well since you PM'd DIRT, they'll obviously get back to you, but not until this afternoon. I agree that $1700 for just one year of TV service is outrageous, but you said you had 4 dish receivers, right? Anyway you can cut back on those or is that not possible?

hi Ckhalil18,

I can wait until this afternoon, not that big of a deal.

Yes I do have 4 receivers. I have 4 different HDTVs in various rooms. 2 of the receivers are HD DVRs.

I received an email about my package. It is as follows:

Programming
America's Everything Pak
HD 250 Free
New England Sports
CSN New England
Dish Platinum - 3 Mo

Equipment
No Change

That's too much to pay for TV! Heck, I pay $160 a month...but that includes FiOS Extreme HD (all HD channels minus the premiums), 30/5 Internet, phone service w/fax, 1 FiOS HD DVR, 2 free digital adapters for the guest bedrooms, a multistream cablecard, and also includes my annual Tivo subscription fee ($99 per year or $8.75 per month). Dish used to be a Pay TV value leader, but those days are long gone...and the Duo DVR fees for the 622 are crazy!

I don't think the answers here are really helpful, don't mean to be rude. It isn't a question of how much is too much, that is an individual decision.
If you were being charged the correct amount, then it wasn't too high since you picked the programs, and receivers. Those fees you talk about are more than well documented. And as I and many have posted over and over, fees and all, Dish is still one of the lowest cost providers.

You already cancelled so I'm not sure the reason for your posts, a breakdown of all costs would have given us a chance to see if you were overcharged.

Also, from your post, sounds like you are using both services illegally.

I don't think the answers here are really helpful, don't mean to be rude. It isn't a question of how much is too much, that is an individual decision.
If you were being charged the correct amount, then it wasn't too high since you picked the programs, and receivers. Those fees you talk about are more than well documented. And as I and many have posted over and over, fees and all, Dish is still one of the lowest cost providers.

Where did it say in his original post that he already cancelled?

Says he cancelled at the end of his original post. He also says his "clients" enjoy both services. Unless you have a business account, that could very well be illegal. Notice I said from his post it sounds like, and I now gave the reason why I say that.

My clients routinely appreciate my ability to navigate through their systems and to discuss programming options and quality issues.

I do not have any of my receivers at other locations than at my home.

Please try to read a little more carefully in the future.

Gregg

You already cancelled so I'm not sure the reason for your posts, a breakdown of all costs would have given us a chance to see if you were overcharged.

Rude and idiotic. Who are you? Or, shall I say, who do you THINK you are?

Last edited:
My clients routinely appreciate my ability to navigate through their systems and to discuss programming options and quality issues.

Gregg
I do apologize for jumping to a conclusion, if clients did not mean coming to your residence or place of business and watch either service. That does not come through on your post. As a couple others posted, and the three emails I got, we did think it was a personal use when it should have been business.

Gregg
My only opinion is that if you want to lower your bill, cut back on programming that your clients don't like at all (if there is any) Besides that, I don't see how any of us can help you. In the meantime, I'm heading off to work and I won't be back until around 10:30 pm ET so I won't be able to check on this until then.

Ha! I was right.

On reducing the bill... Indeed that is rather steep. Obvious places to economize are on AEP and receiver/count or type... It seems unlikely that your clients are going to sit and watch a movie, so all 4 premium movie packages are (possibly) a needless expense.

Duo receivers are expensive nowadays. So... If you need HD at every location, consider 4 VIP612 HDDVRs which would cost $6/mo/account for any DVR, plus $30/mo in extra receiver fees. :( Or get 4 VIP211's with DVR Conversion (external USB drive) and avoid the $6/mo DVR fee and only pay $21/mo in extra receiver fees. Or, if you don't need independent channel viewing on each HDTV, consider using multiple HD outputs from a single receiver to feed the extra locations. I personally have about 35' of HDMI cable off my 722 and that works well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts