Dish Network Frustration and Bricked 622 Boot 981.

hi guys
thanks T8.
I go to client homes for HT installs and calibrations. My clients expect me to be competant and thorough. I need to be familiar with their systems so I have always had both services in my home so I can be familiar with both services.

Duo receivers are expensive nowadays. So... If you need HD at every location, consider 4 VIP612 HDDVRs which would cost $6/mo/account for any DVR, plus $30/mo in extra receiver fees. Or get 4 VIP211's with DVR Conversion (external USB drive) and avoid the $6/mo DVR fee and only pay $21/mo in extra receiver fees. Or, if you don't need independent channel viewing on each HDTV, consider using multiple HD outputs from a single receiver to feed the extra locations. I personally have about 35' of HDMI cable off my 722 and that works well.

excellent, thanks

I go to client homes for HT installs and calibrations. My clients expect me to be competant and thorough. I need to be familiar with their systems so I have always had both services in my home...
I see an XIP receiver in your future. ;) The landscape is getting pretty complicated both with Dish and DirecTV. Do you play with their whole-home DVR/MRV or whatever they're calling it? With Dish, a lot of the current chaos and confusion revolves around Sling. If you upgrade your primary receiver to a 722, you can add a Sling Adapter for free and (potentially) show HD on a 2nd TV using the TV2 tuner. (Can't do that with a 622.) This is the only way to get HD out of TV2.

hi guys
thanks T8.
I go to client homes for HT installs and calibrations. My clients expect me to be competant and thorough. I need to be familiar with their systems so I have always had both services in my home so I can be familiar with both services.

Gregg is the BEST calibrationist in the country, so good infact he is now the lead instructer for THX... (Yeah that THX)

Hi guys

Scott, thanks for the endorsement!

I have PMed Matt and Mary and will hopefully hear something soon.

I did cancel my 10 year plus subscription to Dish this morning. I wanted to prove to them that I was serious and not just spinning while trying to get a better price.

It does seem like a larger percentage of my $162 a month bill (which they offered to reduce to $141 for the next 12 months) is largely comprised of DVR fees? (which I own). I dont see the rationale for these charges.

Last edited:
It does seem like a larger percentage of my $162 a month bill (which they offered to reduce to $141 for the next 12 months) is largely comprised of DVR fees? (which I own). I dont see the rationale for these charges.

Because they can. And they're not DVR fees, they're receiver fees. Not that that helps explaining it.

Because they can. And they're not DVR fees, they're receiver fees.
They are "extra receiver" fees, since the first is "free" with most program packages. Another thing they are not is lease fees. So Gregg and I get to pay them regardless of receiver ownership. I agree with Gregg that this doesn't seem fair to those of us who own.

Tampa8 and others, Gregg Loewen is president of Lion Audio Video Consultants. He is one of the most respected ISF calibrators. He would not do anything illegal. Please check your facts before posting ridiculous accusations!

The only way out of the DVR fees now with Dish is to get 211s and add an external hard drive to them (and pay a one time $40 fee). Then they are just $7/month each.

Another way given what I imagine your setup would be is to share one receiver with all your TVs. I assume you are using the signal as a demonstration for clients. You could drive multiple HDTVs from one receiver.

hi guys
thanks T8.

Good for you that you want to be that knowledgeable for your customers/clients. Other techs and I at Dish have never understood why Dish didn't provide us with a DVR for our personal accounts so we can understand it better and explain it better to customers. But then again, what do I know? After all, the DVR is only the backbone of the freaking company.

Gregg,

The 211k with an external HDD works real nice as a DVR, will give you one OTA tuner and one sat tuner, at a cheaper price. Hell, since you cancelled, let your wife sign back up and get some promo's

;)

On another note, i want to make a THX class next year, promise. I second Scott, if you need a professional to work on your set, he's the guy.

Dr.Pepper said:
Good for you that you want to be that knowledgeable for your customers/clients. Other techs and I at Dish have never understood why Dish didn't provide us with a DVR for our personal accounts so we can understand it better and explain it better to customers. But then again, what do I know? After all, the DVR is only the backbone of the freaking company.

They recently (Feb I think) started giving the top 250 for employees when you used to get just the 120. That's a $69.99 credit. I guess some people are never satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They recently (Feb I think) started giving the top 250 for employees when you used to get just the 120. That's a $69.99 credit. I guess some people are never satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No. I do appreciate that. But, I still think that both the company and employees would have been better served if we got the DVR (even if it's just the old 522 to start with) with the old employee discount.

We have techs out in the field installing DVRs when they have really no or little clue on how to use it, much less educate a customer how to use it.

I'm not saying Dish should provide employess with free HD DVR, sling adapters, google tv, etc., etc. But the DVR itself is IMO one of the most important components of this company and thus my previous point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)