Dish Network Ground Install

Deuce73

Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I tried searching this, but couldn't find specific answers.

I am going to get a dish network dish in February. I live in michigan so it will be snowy and frozen then. I do not want the dish on my house, and I have a good area for it on the side of my house with a clear southern exposure. What I want to know is what the dish will mount too and how far away this mount should be from the house so the dish is not to close.

I was going to sink a 4x4 but I saw someone talking about that might not be a good idea since the wood will probably twist. Can someone tell me what kind of pipe, how tall the pipe should be above ground, I assume underground I will go 36-48" with some concrete.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1-5/8" pole I believe. You can put it as close to the house as you want, just make sure the pole location has line-of-sight to the satellite.

Definitely use a pole - wood will probably warp, and would definitely be less sightly.

When you sink the pole, be sure that it is perfectly plumb (level).

dish can install a pole for you, just get your electric company to mark your wires

I tried searching this, but couldn't find specific answers.

I am going to get a dish network dish in February. I live in michigan so it will be snowy and frozen then. I do not want the dish on my house, and I have a good area for it on the side of my house with a clear southern exposure. What I want to know is what the dish will mount too and how far away this mount should be from the house so the dish is not to close.

I was going to sink a 4x4 but I saw someone talking about that might not be a good idea since the wood will probably twist. Can someone tell me what kind of pipe, how tall the pipe should be above ground, I assume underground I will go 36-48" with some concrete.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Deuce I am a local tech in your area. This dish used here now is the eastern arc. It looks more south east not west. It uses a 1 5/8" mount so you can buy the pole at any home improvement store.

If you would like I can get you all setup. I can order the system and everything for you. You would not need to do anything before I got there. Just PM me if you would like to talk more about it.

The pole usually a chain link fence post with an OD of 1 5/8 needs to be below the frost line so that it dosen't heave during the winter. A guess would be 48" in the ground.

For the issue of "how high", make sure the dish is high enough that creatures won't block the signal. It sounds silly, I know, but it happens. My Dad had his dish just a couple feet off the ground. He was losing signal in the morning. He discovered that the deer were walking around eating grass, blocking the dish. He raised the dish a bit, and the problem was solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)