dish network installers online training

I got to learn (in the field) that you cant use a DP Plus with a 34 switch. I was upgrading a customer to a dish 1000. That morning in the shop was the first time I had ever seen the dish 1000. I guess the motto here is learn fast or fall by the way side. On the up side I complete all my jobs, I have made it home near midnight a couple of times so far.

Claude Greiner said:
An SBCA Certification certificate isn't worth the paper its printed on!

Anyone can install a Dish, but only a select group of people are actually installers.

Your gonna get more experence going out in the field than you would from a book anyday!

Amen

Hammer that point Home again Claude!!!! RONTGLMAO.... I have been involved in Electronic Tech work, since 1960, and never have I seen such BS from an Industry that could have been so good!!! LOL

I was even promoting the SBCA, until I realized that Charlie never did support the Certs, and D* was only using it to get all of the names of the installers... What a Scam!!!

Only 20% of the Installation Technicians out there, have the credentials and the understanding, to master the trade, the other 80%, well most of us understand the 80/20 Rule, so there you are!!!

you would think all the proper training cost would be cheaper than all the trouble of support calls and eventual repairs at the customers home. how many customers leave because of it? that first thirty days makes or brakes the deal! even long time customers having problems with upgrades are leaving. so sad to say but people don't care about there jobs any more. do the min then go home. years ago you cared what people think of your work. I'm only 38 but I'm very old fashion i care very much about what people see and think of me.

Sounds like your experiences with SBCA is like some of mine with computer techs who are MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineers). Before I retired a year ago, I use to have to fly around the country correcting issues made by those that had their MCSE as well as a few other letters. When I was asked what was wrong, I use to tell them you let a MCSE work on it.

And to think, I even had trouble spelling MSCE and CP, or was it MCSE and PC.

What's the 80/20 rule? I thought it was the 50/50 rule - it either works or it don't!

Although the availability of books are nice, I think certain jobs require certain interests, skills, knowledge, and especially when trouble shooting - the ability to reason and use some sort of logic process.

SW
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited:
Hi All!

Had to pop in and read about the certification...I recently was promoted to FSM of a four county area (eeeech....what a drag on a girl's time). I am now looking through resumes to replace some of the more lack-luster techs I inherited, and so many applicants are boasting about their SBCA certifications...So, I did a little digging, and a lot of interviews. When I was asking them basic questions like using RG-59 for the sat line, for proper use of diplexers...They had no clue what I was asking...But they all have brought their certificate to the meeting. LOL

Is a good tech just too hard to find? There are ones w/potential, but the hard part is in knowing who is good and who is just faking it hoping to make a boat-load of money! But that is true in any profession.

Well - just thought that I would vote in on the certification.

Also, I agree that it would be wonderful if Dish Network had some more complete online references (training for lack of a better word) for new technicians....At least so they can state what is expected of a "professional installation" and general system requirements. They do have a training program under their Tech Portal, grounding, routing, aesthetics, customer education, etc...So that is where I am sending people that want to do the job, but who have no experience.

Good Luck y'all!

Maybe the applicant should be told "Come Ready to Work" because you will be tested, and paid a small sum for the testing time.

Then take the person on a job and see what their knowledge is.

Smity....Good idea, but who would be the lucky homeowner that get's to be the guinea pig....LOL

I am just being too critical of the applicants I am getting, I am sure. But I just don't want to hire people (independent contractors) and the stick them out there with my name attached to them if they are incompetent...LOL But it's a risk worth taking at some point...I just need to hop off the fence.

One guy said that he installs for Direct and that he uses RG-59 all the time, and even took me out to his van...Sure enough, there sitting amongst the "van litter", there were three boxes of RG-59...He said it's cheaper than the stuff the others buy, so since he has to pay for his materials, he was going to save money where he could....No dual, no ground wire, no single RG-6....I shook his hand and left.

Que Cera!

I thing that the SBCA class is a waste of time & money. If your company is a DNS subcontractor, there is a good chance that the local DNS hub would offer training.

satprincess said:
Smity....Good idea, but who would be the lucky homeowner that get's to be the guinea pig....LOL

I am just being too critical of the applicants I am getting, I am sure. But I just don't want to hire people (independent contractors) and the stick them out there with my name attached to them if they are incompetent...LOL But it's a risk worth taking at some point...I just need to hop off the fence.

One guy said that he installs for Direct and that he uses RG-59 all the time, and even took me out to his van...Sure enough, there sitting amongst the "van litter", there were three boxes of RG-59...He said it's cheaper than the stuff the others buy, so since he has to pay for his materials, he was going to save money where he could....No dual, no ground wire, no single RG-6....I shook his hand and left.

Que Cera!

Just a quick note Satprincess!!!

Plan your work, and then work your Plan!!! Give them all a written test, to find out what they know, and don't give them a multiable choice test, but rather make them think things out!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts