DISH Network Introduces `DishFAMILY' Programming Tier

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:
There is no HD pack like we have today after February 1st.
Just to make sure I understand....this means that we can't add the HD Ch's to this tier?

Both Dish and Direct's Family Tiers blow away my local cable company's (Cox) version. It's obvious Dish included Fox News (as opposed to CNN, CNBC, MSNBC) to appease the neo-cons who are clammoring for this sort of thing, and for consumers who get upset that they need AT120 to get it from Dish.

Zookster said:
Both Dish and Direct's Family Tiers blow away my local cable company's (Cox) version. It's obvious Dish included Fox News (as opposed to CNN, CNBC, MSNBC) to appease the neo-cons who are clammoring for this sort of thing, and for consumers who get upset that they need AT120 to get it from Dish.

The thing is that FoxNews is pretty pricey. NEOCON or not, it's PRICE. Anyways, I'm sure that the only TRUE liberal TV news network will be included: FreeSpeechTV, channel 9415, only on DishNetwork. I have a few friends that keep Dish specifically for that channel.

As a retailer, I'm pissed CNN wasn't included more than nay other channel. FOR ME, the people who would most want this package would be my Indian customers who just would take it so that they can get a Dish installed free for their Indian channels. CNN is one of the few that they value, other than the NICKs for their kids.

Zookster said:
its very odd that d* didnt include it in its family pack (they own the channel)

vinnyv07 said:
Just to make sure I understand....this means that we can't add the HD Ch's to this tier?

I dunno what the deal is. It's been a while now that the lease requirement has been at least AT60 (which for HD would be DishBronze) but will leased receivers be able to subscribe to the family Pack? You would think so since all most everyone dish has signed up since 2004 has been a lease

There's not a family tier out there that will appease every decency group, much less every individual's own sense of decency/indecency. They are making a mistake introducing these tiers instead of sticking with the argument that all STBs have the ability to screen out whatever each household doesn't want. The family tier starts a slippery slope of providing only channels people want to "enter" their homes. Once you accomodate some, you're accepting the responsibility to provide only "decent" content to everybody.

The good news is this should be the first step towards a la carte.

Zookster said:
It's obvious Dish included Fox News (as opposed to CNN, CNBC, MSNBC) to appease the neo-cons who are clammoring for this sort of thing...

That may be part of the equation but FOX News is the most popular cable news network in America. Can't knock E* for making the most popular cable news channel part of the package.

drfreeman said:
hey heres a question can-does dish network monitor what i watch??? well not me per say but us!??
No, there is no way that E* can monitor what you're watching. The most they can do is see what channels you're subscribing to (obviously). Once in a while I hear people trying to spread rumors that E* uses the phone line connections on receivers to report viewing habits. I can assure you that that is complete B.S. !sadroll

jeffwtux said:
I also find it hilliarious that they were battling Viacom who wanted NickToons on AT120, and now Charlie is putting it on the cheapes package.

Because of the FCC regulations requiring the family package, any channels that are in this package that are normally in the higher priced packages are an exception but what is more of an exception is that the other channels are not carried since they are not family oriented and those companies cannot do a dang thing about it. Those channels that want the carriage in that package will have to make a good deal with the satellite company to carry the c hannel. This could give the satellite and cable companies leverage. On the other hand they could require them to carry their channels in the package just like they require to be in the basic packages today.

jbcheshire said:
....The only things that would be a plus would be the Disney channels and HGTV.... ESPN would be nice, but oh well... can't have everything...
True. Besides there is no way that E* could offer this new package at that low of a price point if either ESPN or Disney were included.

iceondsom said:
That may be part of the equation but FOX News is the most popular cable news network in America. Can't knock E* for making the most popular cable news channel part of the package.

Sure you can. Why give away the "most popular news network" with the cheapest package? Especially when you really don't have to?

Dish Network will probably allow the Family Pack to be offered with the lease and other promotions but it has already been announced that the retailers will take a heavy cut in commissions (about a third to half) on top of the cut they are going to get so retailers are not going to push this package and I can see many of them choosing to either not sign you up or charging you extra if you did end up choosing that package or drop down to that package within a year with a contract.

Why is Fox News the family channel? Not all us Jesus Freaks are Neo-cons.<grin>

All kidding aside, it looks pretty good. Does this mean AT60 gets nicktoons?

mneitzel said:
Does this mean AT60 gets nicktoons?

No. the family package is special.

It's not a base tier service where everything above it get's the channels.

man, I would be tempetd to grab this package if they offered disney and Cartoon net! (those are the only two channels I watch besides HGTV which isnt included either)

Zookster said:

Or it could be the fact that FoxNews gave them a good deal as they can raise more ad revenue with the added number of viewers. Also a good move on Dishes part as FoxNews has more viewers than CNN, CNBC and MSNBC combined on most evenings.

They want to give you a reason to want to upgrade your package to a more expensive one. Cartoon Network has adult swim so do not look for it on a Family Package anytime soon.

Stargazer said:
Because of the FCC regulations requiring the family package, any channels that are in this package that are normally in the higher priced packages are an exception but what is more of an exception is that the other channels are not carried since they are not family oriented and those companies cannot do a dang thing about it. Those channels that want the carriage in that package will have to make a good deal with the satellite company to carry the c hannel. This could give the satellite and cable companies leverage. On the other hand they could require them to carry their channels in the package just like they require to be in the basic packages today.

There's absolutely no FCC regulations requiring a family tier. Cable & Sat companies have no leverage or government mandate allowing them to violate their programming contracts.

The only thing the FCC said recently is that a la carte would be better for consumers and they will be looking at it. They also said it would address those that have concerns about decency. The family tiers are only coming out because everyone is scared shitless that pressure to go a la carte will increase. This is a preemptive strike to curb that movement.

Last edited:
Zookster said:

I guess I would be one of these "neo-cons" as you like to call them. But if you want to call me a neo-con because I have morals then go ahead, it's fine with me. Anyway if you would actually watch FoxNews you would see that it is not a "conservative" channel. Yes, it is more conservative than the rest of the biased media(CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, etc) but that's because they are way out on the left. If you would watch FoxNews every once in a while you would know that it is actually pretty balanced (Hannity and Colmes for example). I think it is in the package because it is the most popular cable news network in America.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts