DISH Network Launches Distant Networks

I waited the 14 business days and sent an email asking where the DNS channels were. No response.

After business day 15, another email did get a response.

"[FONT=&quot]Mr. Bruss,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] The 10 to 14 business day range is approximate time frame. Before we are able to add the Distant Network channels to your account we must have approval from the Networks. We are waiting on the final approval from the Networks and expect it soon. Once we have received the approval the channels will be added to your account."[/FONT]
So it appears the ace RV experts at the Dish RV do not understand that RV Declarations do not need Network approvals. RV/Truck is specifically specified as not need the Networks to agree to because there is no defined territory.
If you folks are hoping for DNS to fill in channels, etc. it will be a long wait as Dish can't even figure out how to do a simple RV Declaration.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I waited the 14 business days and sent an email asking where the DNS channels were. No response.

After business day 15, another email did get a response.

"[FONT=&quot]Mr. Bruss,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] The 10 to 14 business day range is approximate time frame. Before we are able to add the Distant Network channels to your account we must have approval from the Networks. We are waiting on the final approval from the Networks and expect it soon. Once we have received the approval the channels will be added to your account."[/FONT]
So it appears the ace RV experts at the Dish RV do not understand that RV Declarations do not need Network approvals. RV/Truck is specifically specified as not need the Networks to agree to because there is no defined territory.
If you folks are hoping for DNS to fill in channels, etc. it will be a long wait as Dish can't even figure out how to do a simple RV Declaration.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

You should reply and ask them if they are getting approval from every single network station in the Continental US since you never know where you will take your RV!

They might be, after all it is taking so long.

The first time we got DNS from Dish back when we started in 2006, it took one hours to turn the channels on.

I replied to the RV.Declarations folks including a copy of the FCC facts about the SHELA Act.

The response:
"[FONT=&quot]Mr. Bruss,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you again for your correspondence with Dish Network. As you have been previously advised, Distant Network activation can take ten to fourteen business days. This is, however, only an approximation; activation can, in fact, take longer. Unfortunately, we at Dish Network do not have control over how long it takes the Networks to process and approve the request. Once they grant the approval, the Distant Networks will be added to your account. As per our agreement with the FCC, and the Networks, this approval is necessary before we can add the Distant Networks to your account. However, I can assure you we are working diligently to get the Networks to you as soon as possible."[/FONT]
They are working under the rules for "unserved" households which do require Network approval that the OTA broadcasts do not reach the household. In the SHIVA, SHERVA, and now the SHELA Acts, RVs and Truck waivers were not a function of the Networks, but prove of ownership/registration of the vehicle because, by definition, RVs/Trucks are "unserved" households.

I asked if they expected New Yourk DMA stations to prove that they can't reach Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, South Dakota, New Mexico, California and the other 49 states. Becuse if they are, then they will never be able to approve the waivers in any body's lifetime.

I guess Disn is not going to be in the DNS business and ADD will survive.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Is it possible Dish is required to submit applications instead of approving them as part of letting them now provide them?

I haven't had the best of luck finding the exact acts text. The FCC has these information sheets of the acts. For all intents, the rules for RVs and Trucks haven't changes sine SHIVA.

I haven't had the best of luck finding the exact acts text. The FCC has these information sheets of the acts. For all intents, the rules for RVs and Trucks haven't changes sine SHIVA.
Understood, but Dish was recently given permission to provide these after a court order had stopped them. The fact that the rules have not changed for RV's and Trucks, isn't what I meant. It's the rules Dish has to follow.

"Unfortunately, we at Dish Network do not have control over how long it takes the Networks to process and approve the request."

I'm only speculating. It could be a ridicules response on the part of Dish, just wanted to throw out that possibility.... But the fact it is taking so long would suggest the approval is coming from somewhere else. It would be great if a DIRT member could find out the real story.....

My 14 business days is up tomorrow. I went out to the RV tonight, and like everyone else, no DNS. I will wait until tomorrow before sending an email and getting the same response as the rest of you. It would be great if DISH could just set the expectation upfront and just tell customers that this will take an indefinite period of time before being activated. I am just hoping that it gets resolved before my locals on Sobongo expire.

I finally found the text of the SHIVA act of 1999 and it did have a requirement of submitting the request of RV waiver to the network that owns the affiliated stations that would be secondarily transmitted (DNS). That would be NY and LA. The act states that the request needs to be submitted but
"A recreational vehicle or commercial truck shall be deemed to be an unserved household beginning 10 days after the relevant satellite carrier
provides to the network that owns or is affiliated with the network station that will be secondarily transmitted to the recreational vehicle or commercial truck"

In other words, you submit the request and if there is no response in 10 days, it is approved by default. That concept appears a few times in the SHIVA act. Apparently the Congress didn't want the Networks to control by doing nothing.

Since I am 18 business days, 24 calendar days, into the submission, I requested information on who Dish submitted the waiver request to so that I can file an appeal with the FCC. Somebody isn't doing this right and I guess the FCC can sort it out.

It could be that Dish set something up with the networks for the approval process. They may be trying to avoid any possible issue with distants by having the networks approve the requests. Even though the law may say that Dish does not have to work with the networks, they could be doing it anyways.

It could be that Dish set something up with the networks for the approval process. They may be trying to avoid any possible issue with distants by having the networks approve the requests. Even though the law may say that Dish does not have to work with the networks, they could be doing it anyways.

Well if that is the case, or something similar, it sounds like they were not ready for prime time. They should have had all this worked out before launching. Now it just makes them look like amateurs.

Brussam
Here is a thought. You've been a sub for a while and from what I read you HAD distants back when Dish could sell them (until 12/1/06)...right?
Now that they can sell them again from your previous posts you sent in the RV info. But that poses an issue with what Scott pasted in post 1
Second DISH Network Customer Account May be Required – A customer cannot receive DISH Network Distant Network Service on a DISH Network customer account located at a fixed dwelling (e.g., the customer’s home address). If a customer already has a DISH customer account for their home address, they will need a second DISH customer account to receive DISH Network Distant Network Service for their RV or qualifying commercial vehicle. Additionally, to receive DISH Network Distant Network Service, the second customer account must be activated under the Flex Plan as mentioned above.

yes I understand you are a 24/7 RV'er....but for 5 years what physical address did you use with Dish? If you kept moving the physical address as you moved to get locals that might be the holdup. Dish might be considering your existing account as a "fixed" location. Just a thought.....

Well if that is the case, or something similar, it sounds like they were not ready for prime time. They should have had all this worked out before launching. Now it just makes them look like amateurs.

I don't get that answer. Just assuming for the moment Dish is doing what Mike1231bc suggested, how is what is happening now not ready?? They get the submission, and send it on to the networks. It was worked out, and now being executed. I think given the past history Dish had with distants, some are jumping to conclusions that Dish is dropping the ball. It is entirely possible they either choose (as Mike123abc suggests) or are mandated to have each submission approved. I still do wish a Dirt member could give us the real answer though.

I don't get that answer. Just assuming for the moment Dish is doing what Mike1231bc suggested, how is what is happening now not ready?? They get the submission, and send it on to the networks. It was worked out, and now being executed. I think given the past history Dish had with distants, some are jumping to conclusions that Dish is dropping the ball. It is entirely possible they either choose (as Mike123abc suggests) or are mandated to have each submission approved. I still do wish a Dirt member could give us the real answer though.

Well, it would seem to me that to get network approval (If that is in fact what they are doing) all you really need to do is prove RV ownership. I had AAD distants with my RV. Granted that was a different company. Nonetheless I was on the phone with the person whose job it was to approve RV requests. She told me that all she needed to see was that I legally owned an RV. By faxing my RV registration I supplied the appropriate proof and she immediately approved me.

If dish needs to do the same with the New York or LA stations, you would think they would have had this organized for a quick turnaround. I would've expected that they would have a prearranged contact at the stations who would simply see proof of RV ownership and grant approval. Then again, it seems that if there is no network approval granted within 10 days that is approval by default. Dish is telling people 10 to 14 days for approval and then not making good on that. You are assuming this is being executed when in fact it seems like it is not, or at least not in the timeline that dish themselves put forward. I agree with you that it would be nice if an DIRT member would chime in.

Mitch

Iceberg
I had Dish DNS from 2006 until Dish had to turn it off. At that time I got AAD DNS. I never had Locals until last year when they were force on me because of a new receiver which caused a new subscription. I have Locals but I don't use them. I use AAD. The only other address I have used since I first subscribed is the address I used to have the VIP722K and VIP612 installed to replace the VIP622 since Dish wouldn't ship the receivers to me.

Actually I expected this to be the stumbling block in the process. Dish has no non-Locals packages at this time. I surely didn't expect a mis-understanding of the Acts.

At the moment, RV.Declaration says it is waiting on Network approval which may never come because the Networks don't have to respond. They can, just like the Act indicated, do nothing which is supposed to be an approval of the waiver by default.

Well, it would seem to me that to get network approval (If that is in fact what they are doing) all you really need to do is prove RV ownership. I had AAD distants with my RV. Granted that was a different company. Nonetheless I was on the phone with the person whose job it was to approve RV requests. She told me that all she needed to see was that I legally owned an RV. By faxing my RV registration I supplied the appropriate proof and she immediately approved me.

If dish needs to do the same with the New York or LA stations, you would think they would have had this organized for a quick turnaround. I would've expected that they would have a prearranged contact at the stations who would simply see proof of RV ownership and grant approval. Then again, it seems that if there is no network approval granted within 10 days that is approval by default. Dish is telling people 10 to 14 days for approval and then not making good on that. You are assuming this is being executed when in fact it seems like it is not, or at least not in the timeline that dish themselves put forward. I agree with you that it would be nice if an DIRT member would chime in.

Mitch
I do agree, it appears to be taking too long if it is over about 10 days or so.

Iceberg
I had Dish DNS from 2006 until Dish had to turn it off. At that time I got AAD DNS. I never had Locals until last year when they were force on me because of a new receiver which caused a new subscription. I have Locals but I don't use them. I use AAD. The only other address I have used since I first subscribed is the address I used to have the VIP722K and VIP612 installed to replace the VIP622 since Dish wouldn't ship the receivers to me.

Actually I expected this to be the stumbling block in the process. Dish has no non-Locals packages at this time. I surely didn't expect a mis-understanding of the Acts.

At the moment, RV.Declaration says it is waiting on Network approval which may never come because the Networks don't have to respond. They can, just like the Act indicated, do nothing which is supposed to be an approval of the waiver by default.

I wonder exactly what address Dish is using for you. I have a feeling it has to do with having the account already and trying to add them now. (again I'm just going off Scott's post originally)

side note: got a relative who use a RV pretty much all the time(but they have a house that is rented so they dont live in it). They have Directv and faxed in the RV form and in a week they had NY & LA nets. I know its Directv but it shows that the RV declaration should be a blanket waiver for nets

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)