Dish Network "Move"

dclboro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
A friend of mine lives in Virginia and he wants to get the Ohio sports channels (Fox Sports Ohio & Sports Time Ohio) on the Dish Network. He said that he's heard of doing a "move" to Ohio, but won't Dish Network want to set up his new dish in Ohio for him when he calls them? Please tell me what steps he would have to go through to make this possible so I can inform him. Thank you for your help.

P.S. He will lose his local VA channels if he has to adjust his dish, right?

Do you know if the Ohio spot beam reaches the part of VA he lives in?

Do a search, there are plenty of posts telling you how to move.

Does the Ohio spot beam have to reach VA for Fox Sports Ohio or Sports Time Ohio since they are not local channels such as NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.? They are a part of Dish Network's Mult-Sport Package. If the Ohio spot beam does have to reach Virginia Beach, VA; how do I find out?

For 110, 119, and 129, the transponder is currently set to 13 which I believe is a CONUS Transponder. The area that he wants is under transponder 10 which I believe is a Spot Beam Transponder area. He probably won' t be able to pick up the local channels, right? Or am I wrong? I also saw info on www.dishchannelchart.com that makes me think that it will work. Even if the locals (NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.) don't work, Fox Sports Ohio and Sports Time Ohio should work, right? PLEASE HELP ME so I can help my friend. Thank you.

Have him try the multisport pack. Can see if he can get the channels then. Also, if he "moves" which is pretty much against tos, he will most likely lose his local networks. No reason to have the equipment verification team lock the account for trying to get 2 channels in a not so legitimate way.

if he is already a current customer he just needs to call and say he moved and needs to give them the new address. If they want to send someone out just say that there was already a dish on the house and his reciever is working just fine.
He is probably calling and saying he needs to move, and they are trying to set him up with a "dishmover", which he doesnt need.

I agree with the idea of getting the multi-sport pak though, that way he will still have his local channels

I agree with the idea of getting the multi-sport pak though, that way he will still have his local channels[/QUOTE]

I would also like to 'move' to Cleveland from Erie, Pa. I already have the multi-sport package, but want the Cleveland locals. Are you saying I would have both the Cleveland and Erie locals?

I agree with the idea of getting the multi-sport pak though, that way he will still have his local channels

I would also like to 'move' to Cleveland from Erie, Pa. I already have the multi-sport package, but want the Cleveland locals. Are you saying I would have both the Cleveland and Erie locals?[/QUOTE]

No, the OP said he wanted the sports channels, Fox Sports Ohio and Sport Times Ohio, he didnt say he wanted the local channels also,
if he wanted the local channels also he would have to "move", and be inside the spotbeam footprint

My friend already has the Multi-Sport Package in Virginia, but due to blackout regulations, the Cleveland Cavaliers games are not on in Virginia. He's hoping that "moving" to Cleveland and keeping the Multi-Sport Package will give him access to the games. Do you think it will work? Why or why not? Thanks.

My friend already has the Multi-Sport Package in Virginia, but due to blackout regulations, the Cleveland Cavaliers games are not on in Virginia. He's hoping that "moving" to Cleveland and keeping the Multi-Sport Package will give him access to the games. Do you think it will work? Why or why not? Thanks.

If he "moves" to Cleveland he will lose his local networks in Virginia if he subscribes to them. It would be a little more expensive but he could just subscribe to NBA LEAGUE PASS and get Cleveland as an out of market team. If he does "move" to Clevland he probably could not get Cleveland locals in Viginia.

I see what you are saying Marty43. But what if he has an OTA hooked up to his dish? He could still get his Virginia local channels in HD along with the Cleveland sports channels on the Multi-Sport Package, right?

Also, do you have to worry about spotbeams for anything other than local channel reception?

I see what you are saying Marty43. But what if he has an OTA hooked up to his dish? He could still get his Virginia local channels in HD along with the Cleveland sports channels on the Multi-Sport Package, right?

Also, do you have to worry about spotbeams for anything other than local channel reception?

yes that would work, only local channels are on spot beam, for the most part. When the Cleveland HD locals go up there is a possibility they might be on national beam but probably not.

After making his "move" from VA Beach to Cleveland. Will he need to readjust his dish? His current angles in VA Beach are: Azimuth-244, Elevation-27, Skew-132. The angles for Cleveland are: Azimuth-236, Elevation-28, Skew-124. Is there a way to check it to see if the dish can stay pointed where it is at before making the "move"? Will checking the signal strengths in the "Point Dish" part of the main menu work if he changes the transporter numbers or will the signal strengths be comepletely different after he "moves"?

Can someone help answer the questions in my previous post? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Get a dish 1000 ( 110/119/129 ) Charleston WV.
Locals on 129 ( ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, and 4, Yes 4 PBS Channels )
STO, Fox Ohio, Fox Cinci no blackouts.
If you get the multi sports pack, you get Fox Pitt with no blackouts as well for Baseball and Hockey.

Last edited:
After making his "move" from VA Beach to Cleveland. Will he need to readjust his dish? His current angles in VA Beach are: Azimuth-244, Elevation-27, Skew-132. The angles for Cleveland are: Azimuth-236, Elevation-28, Skew-124. Is there a way to check it to see if the dish can stay pointed where it is at before making the "move"? Will checking the signal strengths in the "Point Dish" part of the main menu work if he changes the transporter numbers or will the signal strengths be comepletely different after he "moves"?
Why would he need to readjust his dish? It hasn't 'moved' and neither has the satellite. And he can't change transponders. The transponder changes depending on what channel you are watching.

Sorry, I'm a novice and my friend who I am asking for doesn't know anything. I'm thankful for all of the advice that I'm getting. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)