Dish Network News from CEDIA

Well, we can mark the 1st of the year down as the date I make my jump back to Dish. This is the final nail in the coffin for Mediacom. I've been waiting for any easy cost effective way to add a second HD-DVR for my home theater. The 211 with a beefy external drive is the way to go.

The 622 can serve the main HDTV upstairs and back-feed an RF signal on the 2nd output to the rest of the house.

Why would they make it so you couldn't move from 622/722 to a 211/222?? That makes no sense. Or even record on a 622 play on a 211 ...

Is that all there is?

Is that all there is?

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing

Let's break out the booze and have a ball

Dude, look at the bright side. DirecTV announces a really expensive and lobotomized (no ATSC tuners) "Pro" HD-DVR that is less capable than a 722 while Dish announces you can make your HD receiver a HD-DVR.

Who's the innovative company?

Why would they make it so you couldn't move from 622/722 to a 211/222?? That makes no sense. Or even record on a 622 play on a 211 ...

I agree. The value in moving your recordings around to less capable ViP boxes around your house has GOT to be worth quite a bit. Good marketing.

Unless they want to sell/lease more ViP722s.

Or unless they are moving toward sharing recordings over a home network. Oh, wouldn't that be nice! :p

Do a search here for DishONLINE. That is the Dish IPTV service.

They may change the name of DishONLINE to Dish IPTV, as IPTV is going to be the big buzzword and DishONLINE sounds like you need a web browser to view it. :)

Actually, are all the announcements done now? More info has to come from visiting booths? I assume the weekend is for the casual J6P types, with no more surprises.

Or am I mistaken?

Digital Dude said:
Can't move to a 622/722, they are too different.
Not being able to take the programs recorded using a 622 and playing them on a 211 is a huge letdown. In my set-up, it would be really great to be able to take some of the events I've recorded downstairs on the 622 and watch them upstairs on our 211.

So the big question becomes will Dish activate the use of the ViP-series' Ethernet to share video?

Dude, look at the bright side. DirecTV announces a really expensive and lobotomized (no ATSC tuners) "Pro" HD-DVR that is less capable than a 722 while Dish announces you can make your HD receiver a HD-DVR.

Who's the innovative company?

I have no idea of what D* is doing.

I can understand the E* announcement being of interest to those who own a 211. But to those of us who do not, and who do not intend to get one, then CEDIA is a big zip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)