Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I have just heard from ILYA who is on the floor of CEDIA from the Dish Network booth.

He didn't really have nothing to report, he mentioned that Dish was showing off a VIP222 receiver which is an updated VIP211 receiver. They are also showing off DishCOMM (the same demo they were giving at Team Summit) and they were also showing off Archiving Programs to an external hard drive from a 622.

When asked expected release dates for the above we were told that those dates are still unknown.

I do hope to have more details of the 222 receiver later. Along with some photos.

Ilya asked about INHD and the HD RSN's and was told they had no timeline for their launch.

What a disapinting CEDIA so far from the world of Satellie however the SatellieGuys are filling our CEDIA forum with lots of other interesting items.

I thought it was just 1 HD output (like the 622) and the modulated output for downrezed TV2.

I spoke with one of the Dish Network employees on the floor at Cedia today and he actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about so I fired lots of questions at him. I apologize that I can not write a long, detailed post but here is a quick summary. There is not a lot of new info here but it was nice to hear things directly from an employee.

-He confirmed that they are currently working on adding INHD but would not say what was holding it up (if anything).

-He said that they will have RSN's in HD, it is only a matter of time.

-He said that INHD and RSN's in HD are currently their NUMBER ONE PROGRAMMING PRIORITY.

-He sounded more confident about the RSN's than INHD but perhaps I was reading too much into it.

-When I asked about their position regarding downrezing (ie 1440x1080) he said that right now their priority is adding more HD content. In other words, he did not promise that they wouldn't continue to downrez or compress in the future. However, he said that he does not expect them to downrez or compress any given signal more than what we are seeing right now. He said they are working towards better compression/more efficient encoding and said if anything we should see improved PQ in the future as methods become more efficient.

-He would not give a solid date on the new external hard drive but he did say it should be available by the end of the year.

That last bullet is both good and bad news.

Good news: An external hard drive

Bad news: It sounds like Dish is going to produce their own labeled drive, rather than simply enable the USB port to use any external USB drive. This means higher prices and less choice.

that's what i've been expecting... they aren't going to let any old Drive/enclosure work with the 622... they are afraid of people pulling video from the drive... it makes sense to put a special enclosure with a special firmware that will allow this device to only work on 622s that the user has on their account...

I'm sad to hear that's probably the way it's going to be but I can't say I wasn't expecting it.

db2 said:
He said . . . if anything we should see improved PQ in the future as methods become more efficient.
I'd like to believe him, I really would. But Dish's history since 1996 has always been to supply more channels instead of supplying higher quality on the channels they have. Well, I take that back; I believe PQ got better when they were able to move to the 110°W slot, but that started the whole "Locals-into-Locals" race with DirecTV and they started reducing resolution and playing tricks with Y/C data.

MPEG-4 will let Dish supply HD versions of SD channels they currently carry, so yes, the PQ will improve, but HDTV still won't be as good as we had been promised for the last 20 years.

It would be nice to be proven wrong. Really, it would...

Last edited:
Sadly I don't think you'll be proven wrong.

So basically the bad news is HD has turned to garbage so they can sell you more of it.

The good news is they're going to sell you an extra garbage can to store it in.:D

What kinda cheesse do you Guys like with your Whine?

I'm glad to hear about the storage device. I'll be waiting to lease/purchase one.

Dish 222 picture(same as 622 no dvr)

Attachments

• 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 263
brian24740 said:
Wasn't this shown at the last CEDIA show and didn't they say it would be out soon then ??? Didn't they show the 1000.2 Dish at the last CEDIA show and say it was going to be out soon ??? I'm begining to think Dish's soon is like what Comcast is telling us 550 MHz areas about when they will upgrade our area :rolleyes:
I'm dying to drop Comcast and subscribe to Dish, maybe I'll do it soon :)

Laters,
Mikef5

Scott Greczkowski said:
It was shown at CES in January.
So is there a reason that it's taken about 8 months to show it again and not have a production model out ??? Is there a parts shortage or something holding it up ?? I'm serious about dropping Comcast but I would like to have that reciever to feed 2 of my 4 HD sets. But what I'd really like to see is the 1000.2 dish that was promised last show, they've put out the 1000 plus dish so I don't see what's the hold up on the 1000.2 dish ??? Any info you could provide would help me drop Comcast sooner than later.

Laters,
Mikef5

Mikef5 said:
So is there a reason that it's taken about 8 months to show it again and not have a production model out ??? Is there a parts shortage or something holding it up ?? I'm serious about dropping Comcast but I would like to have that reciever to feed 2 of my 4 HD sets. But what I'd really like to see is the 1000.2 dish that was promised last show, they've put out the 1000 plus dish so I don't see what's the hold up on the 1000.2 dish ??? Any info you could provide would help me drop Comcast sooner than later.

Laters,
Mikef5

They still haven't got rid of the Bugs in the Current Models, don't confuse them anymore than they are now !! :rolleyes:

Mikef5 said:

Laters,
Mikef5

Just FYI the 222 is meant to run 1 HD and 1 SD tv. The tv2 output is composite and analog RF.

foghorn2 said:
What kinda cheesse do you Guys like with your Whine?

I'm glad to hear about the storage device. I'll be waiting to lease/purchase one.

You want Dish to offer an external storage device that will cost more per GB than other options and offer less storage than other options?

Why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts