DISH Network offers movies earlier then Redbox and Netflix

I think its nice that they do have it our earlier but 6.99?? But thats why we can chose to get it at home or leave the house to get it I guess.

Press release = free publicity. Why wouldn't you put your Brand out there any chance you can for free?

I am sure Tiger Woods and Ben Roethlisberger are loving free publicity.

Publicity is fine, but when it appears disingenuous (in this case, Dish isn't getting anything early, they are benefiting from Netflix and Redbox from being delayed) then it's not a matter of publicity, but integrity.

Publicity is fine, but when it appears disingenuous (in this case, Dish isn't getting anything early, they are benefiting from Netflix and Redbox from being delayed) then it's not a matter of publicity, but integrity.

It's called "SPIN".

Does DISH get a movie before Netflix? Yes. Not disingenuous.

The average "Joe" has no idea that there are agreements in place delaying Netflix from having a new release movie. All they know is DISH has it first.

As for Tiger and Ben, you f*&K up, you pay the price. I don't see your comparison as relevant in this case.

DISH has a competitive advantage over Netflix in this case, why not take advantage of it?

I think this is significant. This is the first time PPV/VOD has had release before physical kiosks and rent by mail. With most studios (i.e., everyone except Warner/New Line), the PPV/VOD comes out a month or two before premium. By then, yawn... However, this time PPV/VOD isn't just day and date with the in store release but but available before the two fastest growing methods of disc rental.

IMHO, this is significant not just for Dish but for all multichannel providers.

I think this is significant. This is the first time PPV/VOD has had release before physical kiosks and rent by mail. With most studios (i.e., everyone except Warner/New Line), the PPV/VOD comes out a month or two before premium. By then, yawn... However, this time PPV/VOD isn't just day and date with the in store release but but available before the two fastest growing methods of disc rental.

IMHO, this is significant not just for Dish but for all multichannel providers.

Blockbuster caved to WB's extortion demands so they have same-day availability for rentals. Some of the other rentalcos have it available as well. Hard telling what the bankrupt BB corporation paid for that right. I'm wondering what it would cost WB if Netflix stopped buying and renting any of their DVDs. :) Somebody must be running the numbers somewhere. Redbox has been battling the multistudio embargo for quite a while. I just don't see lots of people paying $7 to watch a DVD 30 days earlier. This is similar to the music industry fiasco of a few years back. Anyone who wants to see the movie for free already knows how to do it online. Maybe this business model will work for them and maybe not. Time will tell.

Where are you going to drive too?

Hollywood video is bankrupt and shutting down all its stores

Blockbuster is in the process of looking into bankruptcy.

That leaves your TV provider or something threw the mail.

Where are you going to drive too?

Hollywood video is bankrupt and shutting down all its stores

Blockbuster is in the process of looking into bankruptcy.

That leaves your TV provider or something threw the mail.

Redbox is everywhere around this part of the country. You can go online and see which machines near you have what movies. $1 per rental much cheaper than Dish and they are starting to carry Blu-Ray too...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)