Dish Network old/new install question??

oregonxfile

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I've moved to a new place, and am going to run my own cable to my receivers w/high quality RG6 quad, etc. Runs wont be too long (less than 100 ft. or so)

Old Dish 500 w/dual (good shape!!)
2 sw21s

thinking about adding a third run for a third room/receiver...

Can I run 3 rooms/3 receivers off this Dish??

I want to self install as far as the cables go, but the rest I'm open to whether or not to "upgrade" to the new Dish 500, or stick with what I have. I might get a pvr, but havent decided as of yet. I can install the system myself, but am just wondering if anyone has any feedback about installs, or parts to replace, etc...

Thanks

X

If you mean your Dish 500 hs a PAIR of dual LNBFs, you're positioned well to add a SW44 or SW64 switch. This lets you go up to 4 tuners.

Yes, I have an older Dish 500 with separate, dual LNBFs. My previous setup had only 2 receivers, with 2 sw21s to split the signal.

Can I set it up this way, and then just change the switch when Im ready, and run the 3rd cable to the 3rd receiver, or is it more complicated than that??

Also, do the "new" Dish 500s that come as part of new installs offer any advantage over my older Dish 500 in terms of picture quality, or have they just streamlined the install and minimized the cabling necessary to do the hookup??

X

SW21's d not 'split' the signal. If you must use the split/combine terminology (which is incorrect), then think of it as a combiner - but it's neither.

I'm not sure what you mean by "set it up this way" - what's "this"? If you mean your old set up - you already know that works, right? And as I said, your existing duals will drive a SW44 or SW64 just fine.

I assume by "new", you mean DishPro equipment. No, no difference in PQ. Big difference in technology. Easier hookups, more expandability, and finally, more robust reception (which has nothing to do with PQ, but a lot to do with things like rain fade).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)