Dish Network or Direct TV in Southern California?

hipertec

Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
HI..hope you guys can help me! I cant decide with either Dish Network or Direct TV. I live in southen california and would get the $40-50 package.

I have kids, so cartoon network, disney, etc are important. But so is the "package deal"- like free equipment, install, less terms, etc.

Could someone let me know which is best to go with and what company to got with? I would like to get a 4 room package with HDTV and TIVO receivers. I called a store and they "only" lease the equipment, which i think dont work for me.

Directv's DTivo is by far, IMHO, a better DVR than DISH's 5xx models.

Also, Directv has a more linient (cheaper) contract cancellation fee than dish. Directv's is $150 but they prorate it for however long you've been on your contract. DISH's is $249 even if you want to cut with only a month left on your contract.

Directv's equipment is more stable, especially with DVRs and the HD receivers. The only downside is you can't get a free HD receiver with Directv (unless you find the right CSR) but to me you get what you pay for. I had DISH's 811 and it was as buggy as ever. I have Directv's Hughes HTL-HD and it has been the most stable HD box I've ever had.

Price wise you can get a better package of channels for your money with Directv. Another thing, if you want more than one DTivo you only pay the one DVR fee and just the regular mirroring fee for each additional box. So one DVR fee covers every DTivo you would have. With DISH they make you pay a DVR fee for EVERY DVR you have in addition to the mirroring fee.

With both companies if you were to get their top tier package they both waive the DVR fees.

Don't forget to tell him to go with the Sony TV as well. :D

I have Dish Network and in your case, I would recommend going with the Direct TV because of the deals they have going right now. You can get a Tivo for 100 bucks.

There is currently no minimum obligation to sign up with Dish Network, so no early disconnect fee at all.

I agree that Directivo is a better system than Dish Network's DVR, but you don't have to pay any up front cost for the DVR with Dish, and it's a 2 tuner, 2 room solution. I'm not sure what the Directivo fees are, but Dish charges $5 a month for the DVR service, unless you go with the America's everything package.

I have an 811 and have only experienced minor twitches in it's operation; nothing that I would say that made it buggy.

As far as programming, the prices are pretty comperable although different. You'll want to take a look at each package and decide which suits your family's needs best. One thing my kids really liked about Directv was PBS Kids. This channel isn't available on Dish.

<edit> You are technically leasing the Dish equipment, but there are no leasing fees, so you're really just borrowing the equipment for as long as you keep the service. Because the DVR receivers are 2 room receivers, you only pay $5 extra for each receiver not for each TV, this saves my family $5 a month. There's also Club Dish which I've used, and am now saving $60 off of my bill every month!

Thanks everyone for responding. The Tivo or DVR is not too important to me...just getting the best equipment for a good price, but HD is important.
What is the "good deals" that DTV has goiing and where can i get signed up with spending the minimum amount of $$.
THis is what i would like to get:
4 room system (where i own the equipment after the term)
HD system (as many as a can get , of course!@)
the cheapest monthly rate.
--where can i find this at and from what company???

hipertec said:
Thanks everyone for responding. The Tivo or DVR is not too important to me...just getting the best equipment for a good price, but HD is important.
What is the "good deals" that DTV has goiing and where can i get signed up with spending the minimum amount of $$.
THis is what i would like to get:
4 room system (where i own the equipment after the term)
HD system (as many as a can get , of course!@)
the cheapest monthly rate.
--where can i find this at and from what company???
Last nite i did an order online test with Direct and unless I did something wrong or someone knows something else the HD box with Direct cost you up front 299.

Dish zero and I got TWO hd boxes.

Try this go to BOTH look at pkg then do the order online and just see what all cost are of course stop before you place the real order.

Trido

Dunno about D*, but basically, the E* deals are going to be the same across the board. I suggest finding a local guy that will NOT require a local contract.

If you go with E*, make sure someone gets your ClubDish referral - no sense in letting them go to waste.

I've got one if you need it. (Just joining the flood, guys ;) )

I've got two that need use ;) pick me pick me :)

They've fixed the system as well so it's a lot easier. Just go online and put in the number, no more hassles with installers. I just noticed that I have 2 codes automatically on my account, didn't even need to request them.

Stryf3 said:
and a max of 12

You can get a max of 12 credits in a year. You are allowed up to 20 cards per year. They come two at a time. All you have to do is request it 5 times in a row and....5x2=...10!

So if you're able to activate all 12 of the cards you can actually get $60 in credits each month?

I alos noticed where it one place says 20 and another says 12, seems silly to be ab le to request 20 but only use 12

Like I said, you can have 20 cards. If you give out all 20 and can get at least 12 to activate (all 20 can activate), you get 12 $5 monthly credits for a total of $60 each month for 12 months. I would have to upgrade my programming to actually have a debit balance. :)

well my bill is 67.17 each month so that would work for me, I need 12 friends who want Dish Network :)

BFG said:
well my bill is 67.17 each month so that would work for me, I need 12 friends who want Dish Network :)

Surely, some people here have other avenues at which they give them away. This site is obviously one. Anyone else have a way they use to get people to sign-up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts