Dish Network Picture Quality

Its not an hd thing... The compression is very noticable, even on a 27 inch regular tv screen... Of course I work in video production so I notice those kinds of things... I have noticed that the compression has gotten somewhat better than it was a year or so ago... but the more channels we keep wanting added, the more compression they have to put on... You get used to the compression artifacts though... Hopefully with the new satellites they are launching and if the rainbow deal goes through he will have more bandwidth to clean up the channels...

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Many TV's bigger than 40" don't look good when viewing SD picture. We have a 40" Sony Wega XBR tube TV and this thing is probably the best picture you'll ever get on a TV (bigger than 32" that is). With that said, many SD channels are very good and better than the analog cable we had before. So in our house, DISH is good on this good TV. On older and fuzzier TV's, the compression does get a bit annoying.

Leading from my personal example, TV's bigger than 40" such as 60" projection TV's will have mediocre SD picture quality. If at all possible, try to view them from a good distance and use the best possible connection. Both E*, D*, and many companies compress the heck out of their channels. Only provider that doesn't compress much is Voom. But we can assume that V* doesn't need to compress as much because of their absence of local channels on the satellite. If you don't want V*, stick with E* because you won't get much better from cable or D*. Your mileage may vary and this is based on my PERSONAL experience. Do take it with a grain of salt please. :)

Actually Voom has been doing the very same thing recently in an effort to add more programing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts