Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK PREPARED FOR HURRICANE SEASON

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., - June 21, 2005 - Hoping against a repeat of last year's hurricane season, DISH Network pledges to assist in maintaining and recovering satellite television service for customers in the worst of circumstances.

DISH Network has alerted extra technicians to stand by and has reviewed methods that could allow customers to receive local channels of neighboring TV stations in affected areas.

A study from Colorado State University expects up to eight hurricane strength storms that could again ravage the East Coast. Last year, DISH Network prepared its installation crews, retailers and customer service centers for the storms' aftermath with an increased presence and dedicated customer service representatives to address victims' needs quickly and efficiently.

"We're focused on helping ensure that DISH Network customers get the critical news and information they need before, during and after the storm," said Eric Sahl, DISH Network's vice president of Programming.

Once again, DISH Network plans to dedicate hundreds of technicians from all over the country to help victims in the event of a disastrous storm.

Historically, when a storm affects power in an area it also affects the ability of cable to continue broadcasting, and damage to the cable's land-based facilities can knock the service out for weeks. DISH Network uses satellite technology to bring TV into the home and often continues service with little interruption if customers can continue to supply power to their equipment with a generator.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 11.2 million satellite TV customers through its DISH NetworkÔ, the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network ranks No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Cable/Satellite TV Subscribers by J.D. Power and Associates. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

I sat and watched tv throughout the 2 hurricanes that hit here. We got about 80 mph winds and every once in a while my dish bounced a little and my signal would flicker.

John Walsh said:
I sat and watched tv throughout the 2 hurricanes that hit here. We got about 80 mph winds and every once in a while my dish bounced a little and my signal would flicker.

i was surprised that i did not lose signal last year either through any of them.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Dish 500 is supposed to withstand up to about 75 MPH sustained winds from what I've read. It's a "permanent fixture".

I was wondering if your dish gets blown out during a storm could you set up a temporary installation on a tripod indoors if you have a window with a clear shot at the sats?

R-U-Q-R-U said:
I was wondering if your dish gets blown out during a storm could you set up a temporary installation on a tripod indoors if you have a window with a clear shot at the sats?
I see a number of people doing that in the clear skies and sunshine of California. They don't need a hurricane, only a grumpy landlord or perhaps no "exclusive use" location to mount it other than inside their apts.

The SuperDish has 8 times the windload as a Dish 300/500 therefore would need to be secured MUCH better than those dishes plus they are a bit more expensive to replace. Just by taking the reflector off would be the simplest quickest best way to achieve that. By taking the four bolts out of the reflector you could place the reflector back on after the hurricane without a repoint required. That would be a lot less likely for the dish to get blown away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts