DISH Network Price Change

Really? Nobody on here is going to give me an Amen? You are all OK with getting fleeced by Dish just because "everybody else is doing it"? I've been a Dish customer for 11 consecutive years because Charlie used to be better than that.

I guess you're all absolutely right. They are no better than anybody else now. The difference is this makes me disappointed in Dish, whereas you all seem to be fine with the fleecing you've taken. Guaranteeing your rate for two years just after a 20% hike is no great feat. I'll take that deal all day long if my employer ever offers it.

Jarrod
I know this is a forum for all means of receiving TV, but bottom line Satellite and cable TV are not needed to live. You can go back to OTA, the way it was for many years, and the way it still is for thousands of people still. Don't get me wrong, I love my Dish TV, but if it got to a point where it was a financial burden, I would drop it and go back to OTA.

Maybe I look at things different because of what I deal with. I just had a medication I take daily go from $60 a month to $115 a month, (something to do with a new pricing tier). Now to me, that's a "fleecing", Dish raising their prices, not so much.

Ghpr13:confused:

Didn't Direct have a rate increase in January and was it not for more than $5 for most subs? Both have their rate increase each year. By using the info that I read here and planning ahead, I am getting the same programming that I had for $5 less for the next year.

Jarrod

Maybe I look at things different because of what I deal with. I just had a medication I take daily go from $60 a month to $115 a month, (something to do with a new pricing tier). Now to me, that's a "fleecing", Dish raising their prices, not so much.
:up:up:up

Didn't Direct have a rate increase in January and was it not for more than $5 for most subs? Both have their rate increase each year. By using the info that I read here and planning ahead, I am getting the same programming that I had for $5 less for the next year.

Directv's rate increase is this month and depending on package and receivers it varies.
$2 for packages
$3 for old "grandfathered" packages....basically making the old and new packages the same price
$1 a month extra for extra receivers (now $6)

so for someone like me (3 receivers) the bill will go up $4...not bad :)
So unless you have a bunch of receivers the bill only went up a few bucks

How much is the Stars package cost per subscriber? My local cable company (Atlantic Broadband) give it out "FREE" with their digital package but you'll pay about $83.48 with their claim of nearly 200 channels. So that's why I'm not to upset about paying $69.99 for the Top250 because we have a couple of year before we'd hit that amount and I'm sure they're prices will go up. ( I use cable for Phone/Internet only)

I've thought for a long time that the crux of this argument is that we DISH subs (me 17 years) have gotten complacent in the fact that of all the providers, DISH was the last to start raising pricing when most all of the others were doing it continuously. I have had to whittle down my services, weeding out the "channels not necessary for survival", to keep my bill manageable. But when I see what my brother is paying for Comcast and a neighbor is for DirectTV, I consider myself lucky.

BUT the kicker is that it's not pricing that is making my look for other providers, it's the F^cked up guide information and timers not firing off. Thus missing the programming that I am paying for that is pissing me off. Since DLNA and services like VUDU, won't use Netflix (major problems with HD delivery), I can get inexpensive, reliable content when I want it. Not having to depending on the crap DISH receivers. I have always thought that TiVo had the better GUI and DISH the better hardware. I still do. Especially now. I just wish Charlie would stop suing TiVo and just use that money, this time last year would have been the best time, to buy TiVo and he'd have no more lawsuits to waste our money on, he'd have others that might bring in money, and we'd have a great GUI with no fear of losing any services.

So nearly the same as Dish's then? Without the free Starz for a year either... :)

not really
Dish went up $5, Directv went up $2 on the packages
Also this is the 1st time in years (actually not counting the time they went from 4.99 to 5.00 this would be ever) that they raised the rates on the extra receivers. But unlike Dish who went from $5 to $17 in some cases D* only went up a buck. :)

not really
Dish went up $5, Directv went up $2 on the packages
Also this is the 1st time in years (actually not counting the time they went from 4.99 to 5.00 this would be ever) that they raised the rates on the extra receivers. But unlike Dish who went from $5 to $17 in some cases D* only went up a buck. :)

All true. But D* didn't give out a year of Starz or freeze programming rates for 2 years. :)

For me, the $$$ difference betwixt the two is nearly nil, the difference is in the programming offered. National HD is more important to me than the sports channels as the sports I care about are covered quite well on both.

Well, I had an odd experience today....
There was a new "primary receiver fee" of $9 on my monthly statement. I'm an annual AT120 sub. and have never had any addtional fees until I replaced my 508 DVR with a new 722 I purchased, and had the $6/month DVR fee added.
The Dish CSR told me all annual subs. with a VIP receiver were now being charged $9 a month. The conversation went on for quite a bit while I tried to make sure they understood I only had one receiver which I purchased myself. They were adamant that the charge was correct and said the fee was new as of 2/1/11, and would have applied to me even if I had kept the 508, and indeed applied to ALL annula sub. VIP receiver owners.
Then, they seemed to think the charge might be a mistake, but weren't certain.
So, does anyone else have any idea what they might be on about? A new "receiver" charge of $9 a month on top of the DVR fee is a deal breaker for me.......

All true. But D* didn't give out a year of Starz or freeze programming rates for 2 years. :)
so if Dish raises the receiver rate next year (or later this year) you'll still say "they didnt raise the programming rates", right?
We dont know what is going to happen next year. :)

For me, the $$$ difference betwixt the two is nearly nil, the difference is in the programming offered. National HD is more important to me than the sports channels as the sports I care about are covered quite well on both.
The only national channel I wanted I guess has been confirmed as stretch-o-vision (TruTV HD).....and its very nice to see my local sports teams in HD all the time

How many times had it been said that at the end of 1 year, Starz will be turned off as a freebie!

Has anyone read the fine print?

"By accepting this offer, you agree to all terms of the offer which are subject to change at any time without prior notice."

It is sometimes difficult to detect sarcasm in print.

They call this the 2/1 changes. Yes, as in February 1st. The cheapest package is still the Welcome Pack at $14.99, but then again it only has the basics, like around 15-20 channels only.

As for the other packages, yes, every single one of them except for the Welcome Pack and Dish Family, has increased their prices by $5, like the AT120, AT120+, AT200, AT250, and the America's Everything Pack.

And yes, folks, it is already confirmed that the prices are frozen until 2013, with the exception of the Everything Pack. They say they work hard to keep prices lower than their competitors as well, so I guess that's more than enough of a guarantee for me.

As for receiver fees, though, the initial receiver is still free, as long as you're a regular customer that started with a DHA 24 plan. But the fees for additional receivers are still the same. $7 for a Solo, $10 for a Solo DVR, $14 for a Duo, and $17 for a Duo DVR.

Okay then, let's move on with the Premium Movie Channels that are free for 12 months... You can only get one, and if you already subscribe to it, you get the next one. The hierarchy for the freebies are as follows: Starz -> Encore -> Dish Platinum -> 6 PPV coupons. The free programming is on an opt-in basis, meaning it will automatically be taken out of your account after the freebie period, unlike the HBO and Showtime duo which is an opt-out package altogether.

Oh! And you boys just might notice that Dish Network already charges State/Local Taxes, even to those they don't usually charge it to in the past.

Basically, that's it. My boyfriend works in Dish, and wanted to share the information with y'all. Have a nice day, guys!

What a rip off; they give us 'free starz' then charge us an extra 5 bucks a month? How about you take your Starz and shove it - and let me pay what I'm paying currently and NOT A PENNY MORE! I know NtGeo and other channels want more cash for their programming - tell them to forget it - I would rather use my Netflix for any movies - or stream them online for (cough - ) FREE than pay more monthly on my dish plan.

I do not care about any NEW channels being added - as it is I have HUNDREDS of dish channels that are USELESS to me - all I want are about 15 channels...

I hate when companies give you 'FREE' stuff - only to rip you off and force you to pay for it later by calling it something else.... and that is exactly what seems to be going on here!

This letter from Charlie Ergon, Candy Ergen and Jim Defranco really angers me!

-Brian

What a rip off; they give us 'free starz' then charge us an extra 5 bucks a month? How about you take your Starz and shove it - and let me pay what I'm paying currently and NOT A PENNY MORE! I know NtGeo and other channels want more cash for their programming - tell them to forget it - I would rather use my Netflix for any movies - or stream them online for (cough - ) FREE than pay more monthly on my dish plan.

I do not care about any NEW channels being added - as it is I have HUNDREDS of dish channels that are USELESS to me - all I want are about 15 channels...

I hate when companies give you 'FREE' stuff - only to rip you off and force you to pay for it later by calling it something else.... and that is exactly what seems to be going on here!

-Brian

Hey, because I already had Starz, Encore, and Platinum I get a whole 6 PPVs for that $5 a month...... If you don't like the service you are purchasing go somewhere else that might offer you what you want. Oh wait! There aren't any are there..... ;)

Actually guys, there's a non-proactive offer that Dish Network agents have whenever you call and speak with an agent. Just tell them that you don't want any free premium movie package or ppv certificates and for them to just give you the $5 discount for 12 months offer. It'll appear as a LOYALTY OFFER in your bill, but hey, a $5 discount is a $5 discount. Can't dispute that, right? ;)

-Brian

you do understand that the $5 doesn't just go to pay for channels, right? You do know that it costs Dish $$ to keep the lights on, sats in the air, employee salaries, health insurance, property taxes, R&D, etc, right? You do know that just because you don't like a channel, a plethora of Dish customers do like that channel, right? You do know that Dish couldn't care less whether you watch Starz at all over the next 12 months, right? You do know that Charlie and Candy are married and spell their last name the same, right? You do know that you you don't have to send a bloody cent to Dish at all, right? You do know that you can walk away and subscribe to a different company that only carries those 15 channels you watch, that never raises their rates, and never offers free stuff to piss you off, right?

you do understand that the $5 doesn't just go to pay for channels, right? You do know that it costs Dish $$ to keep the lights on, sats in the air, employee salaries, health insurance, property taxes, R&D, etc, right? You do know that just because you don't like a channel, a plethora of Dish customers do like that channel, right? You do know that Dish couldn't care less whether you watch Starz at all over the next 12 months, right? You do know that Charlie and Candy are married and spell their last name the same, right? You do know that you you don't have to send a bloody cent to Dish at all, right? You do know that you can walk away and subscribe to a different company that only carries those 15 channels you watch, that never raises their rates, and never offers free stuff to piss you off, right?

Obviously, that would be a NO to all the above.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)