DISH NETWORK® INTRODUCES TV EVERYWHERE™

Re: DISH NETWORK® INTRODUCES TV EVERYWHERE?

No the 922 does not have 3 satelite tuners only two plus you can add two atsc ota tuners if you want as well.

So the wi-fi monitor will not be able to be watched like tv 3 , so it doesn't affect tv 1 or tv 2 outputs? It will just be another hd ouput of tv 1 or tv 2?

If true then I am less impressed. It is just TV2 split-fed to two TVs, although wirelessly and in HD, it does answer many people's call for the TV2 to be HD capable, but at some added cost of the additional hardware.

It would have been easier just to make another HDMI output for TV2, let people wire for themselves to the second TV, hardwired or wirelessly.

Well I was ASSUMING that the sling output would be independent of TV1 and TV2, since people were calling it a third output. I still haven't seen anything to contradict that. Remember, the outputs are independent of the tuners.

I assume (since it is not being touted as HD) that the USB port connected sling box on the 722 (and maybe the 622) is SD and not HD. It would be nice if it was at least 720p, since using the USB port and they describe that the box decrypts/transcodes/encrypts, they could take the HD stream going to TV2 before it is down converted to SD.

If they could do that it would be a big break through for 622/722 households, TV2 could be HD over a cat 5 connection!

Well I was ASSUMING that the sling output would be independent of TV1 and TV2, since people were calling it a third output. I still haven't seen anything to contradict that. Remember, the outputs are independent of the tuners.

Ok this is a little better, it means you can playback a recorded program independent of TV1 and TV2.

I assume (since it is not being touted as HD) that the USB port connected sling box on the 722 (and maybe the 622) is SD and not HD. It would be nice if it was at least 720p, since using the USB port and they describe that the box decrypts/transcodes/encrypts, they could take the HD stream going to TV2 before it is down converted to SD.

If they could do that it would be a big break through for 622/722 households, TV2 could be HD over a cat 5 connection!
Yeah, the Dish blurb didn't say much. But I see from the Slingbox 700u specs that it is indeed HD. Can't find it now but I think that means 720p. Where did you see that it uses the TV2 output?

Yeah, the Dish blurb didn't say much. But I see from the Slingbox 700u specs that it is indeed HD. Can't find it now but I think that means 720p. Where did you see that it uses the TV2 output?

I did not see that it used any output. It plugs in the USB port acording to the skimpy details available. I was just wishing that it would allow TV2 to be sent in HD (even if 720p) to another TV in the house. This would be an ideal solution, or even better if it acted like the 922 and did a "TV3".

Dish really needs a whole house DVR the "1022" (if they keep doing the numbers) with 4 sat Tuners (yes 2 satellite drops) and 2-4 OTA with TV1 having HDMI and 3+ HD slings for around the house. Throw in a 2TB disk (500GB for Dish on demand 1.5TB for personal use). This would be a great solution. Dish only has one box per house and the installers only have to run cat5 or perhaps WiFi as a last resort for TVs that cannot get cat5 to them. Given the new 4k sector disks (http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3691) just now arriving on the market, they could easily record 6-8 streams and watch 4-6 without issue (given a decent memory buffer).

Last edited:
This would be an ideal solution, or even better if it acted like the 922 and did a "TV3".
Hear hear!
Dish really needs a whole house DVR the "1022" (if they keep doing the numbers) with 4 sat Tuners (yes 2 satellite drops) and 2-4 OTA with TV1 having HDMI and 3+ HD slings for around the house.
Then such a beast would be called the 1044. ;)

I like the fact its USB and eliminates the cable mess associated with the sling boxes.

Hopefully they found some way to make it easy to setup on the network, so you don't have to go into your router and open up a port. I think that right there is the biggest challenge for people who own a sling box when they set it up.

I did not see that it used any output. It plugs in the USB port acording to the skimpy details available. I was just wishing that it would allow TV2 to be sent in HD (even if 720p) to another TV in the house. This would be an ideal solution, or even better if it acted like the 922 and did a "TV3".

Dish really needs a whole house DVR the "1022" (if they keep doing the numbers) with 4 sat Tuners (yes 2 satellite drops) and 2-4 OTA with TV1 having HDMI and 3+ HD slings for around the house. Throw in a 2TB disk (500GB for Dish on demand 1.5TB for personal use). This would be a great solution. Dish only has one box per house and the installers only have to run cat5 or perhaps WiFi as a last resort for TVs that cannot get cat5 to them. Given the new 4k sector disks (AnandTech: Western Digital?s Advanced Format: The 4K Sector Transition Begins) just now arriving on the market, they could easily record 6-8 streams and watch 4-6 without issue (given a decent memory buffer).
Dish would charge a million bucks for that, if they every had the brains to make it :)

Things seem to be getting better since they bought sling. Maybe their engineers are slowing rubbing off on the echostar guys.

I'm assuming that there would need to be a third MPEG decoder for this to happen. I'm also assuming that the decoding won't be done in the catcher.
Why would you assume either of those ideas? The adapter supposedly decrypts, transcodes, and re-encrypts the video stream. All slingcatchers decrypt and decompress the stream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts