DISH NETWORK® LAUNCHES FANDANGO iTV APPLICATION

Great dvr but.....

Wow... lots of Negative Nellies on here. Another feature was added that can save some time or make the service more interesting and it turns into a bitchfest. What an awesome group this site is becoming.

Sorry Jeff,

I dont mean to sound like Im complaining.

How about..I still think that dish has the best Dvr!

However,
Dish has made so many boneheaded programming moves its astounding.
Not sure that the guy running the ship really cares about his subs?

They have taken all the wind out of my sails that just about any move they make
means close to nothing to me.

There was a time I thought that they were the best provider out there.
Best dvr and outstanding programming.

Not so anymore. I keep them only for the 722. I do think its great.
But thats all...

I like the feature.
I buy from fandango to make sure I can get a ticket and I do not have to stand in line to pick up my tickets. All you have to do is go to the machine and swipe your credit card. To me it is worth the extra amount charged. I can not tell you how many times in the past I went to the theater and stood in a 20 minute line only to tell me the movie was sold out. It also affords me the time to get to the theater and get a better seat.

Exactly. I don't go to theaters much anymore, but when I do, we order online. Skip the line, walk up to a machine, swipe your credit card, and GO!

Exactly. I don't go to theaters much anymore, but when I do, we order online. Skip the line, walk up to a machine, swipe your credit card, and GO!

I used to until my last experience. Got the tickets online with Fandango, went to the theater where we were greated by a sign saying the A/C was out in the theater showing our movie. Since this was in August in Austin TX and it was 98 outside we asked for a refund. Manager gave us a refund no problem, but just for the ticket price, not the Fandango service charge, for that he said contact Fandango. Their response was too bad, no refund, my response was delete my membership/ID, they just lost a customer.

I think they should have taken it a step further by providing trailors for the movies. I can't tell you how nice it would be to have the trailors available for all the family to see. It would sure make decisions a little easier. (especially watching them on tv instead of the computer)

One advantage I see is customers will be able to see the current movie listings on their TV screen. No need to check the computer or the newspaper.

My wife has an application on here iphone that give her a list of all the running movies in theaters nearby. She likes it a lot, and I think people will like this feature now available on ch 100.

I've used Fandango before. It is great if the movie is an extremely popular one, likely to sell out quickly, such as Harry Potter. Uh, what's a newspaper?

Uh, what's a newspaper?

Something once used to line bird cages with, or wrap fish.

I don't know, the whole concept sounds so outlandish, it's hard to believe people once would actually go to such lengths to produce stale information at such costs! It must just be an old wive's tale. I'll have to check snopes.

"Jim5506 - Yesterday 11:09 PM

trailors - trailers what's tha diff??"

Exactly!! What's the diff? (you gotta love technology! I corrected it once... my phone thought I was wrong, and corrected me again!

I agree Dish could be using their time better, but I think it will only help their PPV and movie channel revenue (don't tell Fandango). We will now all be reminded of how expensive it is to go to the movies, especially with the extra fee Fandango adds. So not worth it in my mind and makes PPV much more appealing. No crowds and cheap food!

will you pay the same amount for this service, or will there be some form of "handling charge" added. That is the only reason I could think that Dish would have something like this. They are getting some revenue from it.

Well I just tried to do this on my ViP722.. Not to order anything but just to see the feature and I do not have this feature yet. Fandango is not an option there after clicking entertainment. I guess it's not available to everyone yet.

I live less than a mile from a 17 theatre cinemark location that has a ticket ATM inside. I also live in a state that is notoriously computer illiterate. I have never seen a line at the ATM, and I my friends tell me that i am the only person they know that uses it. I have been to that theatre when there was a line at each of the 4 windows of at least 10 people each, and walked right into the front door, and no one was using the ATM. when my work buddies and I went to see the watchmen I had my tickets, and snacks in hand, and was walking to the theatre before they even got their tickets.
I like that Dish is putting forth the effort, but this seems terribly redundant to me.

Ok to clarify some things.

Movie theater ticket sales are up %18 over last year and the movie theater down the street from me is at %50 or greater capacity during the weekdays and %75 on the weekends while the $2 theater is nearly the same so if you have to ask if people go out to the movies anymore then maybe its time to get out of the house and into the light of the world and see whats going on around you.

A fair amount of people order tickets online and its a nice feature to have specially with opening night shows. The theater staff are well aware of online ticket purchases which is what this is and they could care less if you ordered it through your computer or your tv or your cell phone or pda. Some theater's have an automated kiosk where you can collect your online ticket purchases and bypass the ticket counter all together such as Showcase cinema's.

The only gripe I have is that it took them so long to get this going, the software was in place at least as early as 2004 from what I remember when I installed dish and had dish.

My local theater has a kiosk in the lobby. Hardly anyone uses it, so even if there's a long line at the box office, I've never seen more than one person waiting at the kiosk. I just walk up, buy tickets, walk past everyone in line. And there's no service charge.

Aside from all the hyperbole and bluster raging in this thread, I still don't know enough about this new Fandango feature to feel good or bad about it. Does it cost anything to use the feature? Does it negatively affect the performance of a ViP series receiver?

Most of the time I just get to the theater about 20 minutes early and have little problem getting my ticket and a good seat.

AriesGodofWar said:
Does anyone even go to the movies anymore? I have HD surround sound with 1080P Real Blu-Ray quality, plus all the beer I can drink, why would I want to go to a theater and pay $100/ticket?

$100 per ticket? Geez, I don't know where you're watching your movies.

Despite having an excellent home theater setup, I still enjoy going to the movies. And I feel it is important to support the theatrical side of the movie industry so the home video side of things continues to get a wide variety of movies. That won't be the case at all if the movie industry is a home video only kind of thing. The movie studios will just be producing lower budget TV shows then.

I am very particular on which theaters I visit and the times I choose to visit. I prefer off peak times. Go on a Friday or Saturday night and there will be too many idiot teens who can't leave their phones alone.

There's a theater in Moore, OK run by Warren Theaters out of Wichita, KS. It's an excellent place to watch movies. All 14 screens have THX-certified sound systems that are well maintained and properly tuned. The projection is all 2K Dolby Digital Cinema. A few screens feature Dolby 3D. The two Grand Auditoriums have giant 80' wide screens and premium balcony seating areas for customers aged 21 and over; they serve mixed drinks, beer and meals. The theater has more than $1 million of neon. The bathrooms are decked out with imported marble. The waiting area between the mens and womens restrooms has a fireplace.

All that fancy stuff aside, one of the best aspects of the theater is its zero tolerance cell phone policy. Customers are warned up front about it. Fart around with your cell phone at all and you can be ejected from the theater without a refund. Kudos to Warren Theaters for that. The company clearly understands the importance of maintaining an excellent movie-watching environment. Idiot-control is a big part of that.

Jeffro34tx said:
I think they should have taken it a step further by providing trailors for the movies. I can't tell you how nice it would be to have the trailors available for all the family to see.

That would be nice if they maintained a proper flow of new trailers. Outside of Apple and its Quicktime trailer park site very few companies are doing a good job of it. That's one of the few knocks I have against Sony and its Playstation Store. The supply of HD movie trailers they have for the PS3 is just downright pathetic. People who love movie trailers usually buy the "pro" version of Quicktime, save the trailers to their hard disc, convert them to MP4 format and then play them on devices like the PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)