Dish network® meets 100 hd channel mark ahead of schedule

Early adopters of the Vip-622 that are stuck with the $7 a month lease fee like I was, here is what you can do and what I did. No more lease fee:

Upgrade to a Vip-722 under the Dish'n It Up promotion. It cost me $75 plus sales tax upfront to get the 722 delivered and install it myself. In about 11 months I break even costs wise. After that I'll be saving the $7 a month lease fee. Now I have a black box instead of silver and more recording capacity.

Scottd: did you have to sign another (or extend) your lease? I'm really not sure if I wanna commit for another 18 months.

But I think they are wrong not to have an "All-HD" pack to incude everthing in HD: core HDs, HDs without SDs, and all premium movie HDs.

Yes, they should create an all-everything plan (AEP) for HD like there is for SD. Then we would not need to carry all the SD baggage.

However (there is always one of those), I would like an HD version of TCM for the movies and possibly MS-NBC for Countdown and Comedy Channel for Steward and Colbert. Sure a lot of the movies that I can only get on TCM now that I don't have Film Fest, Kung Fu, and World Cinema. Veria and Ovation just don't even cut the SD mustard.

BTW, just got my postcard for updating my 921. With a 622 and 722 would that be 3. Would it be owned, as the 921 or at least with no lease fee? Will find out Monday and then I can think of AEP-HD or just HD-only with several premiums, if I must.
-Ken

I got a card on my 811 that I own. When I called, they sent it out a 211 for free and no monthly lease fee, since it is replacing the one that I own. So good luck with your 921. BTW, the CSR was in the Phillipines. She had an accent but was very knowledgable.

Does what was discussed early in this thread mean that you can hook up a 722 to a regular SDTV? Is that what they mean by you're being able to watch the channels on an analog, digital, or HDTV?

ok, wow....all these "colored" packages are confusing me!

So let me get this straight.....I have the:
AT 100 + LOCALS + DVR + "The original" $20 HD package.
I pay around $62 a month (I think, my rebate credits just ended)

So is anything going to change for me? I don't get it.

Sounds like good news to people that ONLY want HD.

ok, wow....all these "colored" packages are confusing me!

So let me get this straight.....I have the:
AT 100 + LOCALS + DVR + "The original" $20 HD package.
I pay around $62 a month (I think, my rebate credits just ended)

So is anything going to change for me? I don't get it.

Sounds like good news to people that ONLY want HD.

No, nothing will change for you except the name of your HD pack.

It depends on weather those who currently have HD Absolute want their local rsn or not. If they do, weather or not they are willing to either give up some channels to get them or pay a lltle more and give up less channels or pay about $20 more to have their local rsn without giving up any channels. Any one who wants HD only and does not care about their local rsn would be better off subing to HD Absalute before 8/1/08, this package will not likely be available after 8/1/08, but subs who already subscribe will likely be able to keep this pack untill at least 2/1/08, most likley longer with rate increases higher then other packages.

well that's good news I have AT 250 with HD ultimate and I get 3 RSN's (FSN-North, Wisconsin and CSN-Chicago). I was going to cancel HBO and STARZ but now I will keep them with all the HD additions. HBO Zone HD will be very cool to have.

I wish they would come out with a 722/622 that does 2 HD feeds and 1 SD feed.... I think its pretty common now for folks to have 2 main HD tv's and an SD in the kids or parents room....

They need to convert the COAX out from NTSC to ATSC so I can send the signal to a HDTV .

a side question on HD only package

I subscribed to HD only package just 3 weeks ago with 24 month commitment. I understand they may grandfather current subscribers in terms of the coming change. But if D* does change the pricing for HD only, am I still subject to the prorated cancellation fee if I decide to cancel? Thanks!

I did some major thinking about the price increase and here is what I come up with.

For those of us on the Absolute pack this kind of sucks with the price going up so much (eventually) and only for just RSN's etc.

BUT....for those who are looking for an HD only alternative..... tell me one place that has all those HD channels for the same price at this time? Cable sure doesn't.

I could see Direct doing something like this soon though if it becomes popular.

With that said I am still going to get up on my soap box on the 10 dollar platinum pack of 7 whole channels... with some of them NEVER in 16 x9 HD. Those channels are not worth the price of almost a premium package. Maybe 5 bucks....

Just think... in 5 more years we will all be looking back with fond memories because every single channel will be "HD" even if most of them are 4x3 or stretch-o-vision.. Simply put... in 5 years dish wont carry an SD equilivant of anything.

Most TV still come with NTSC tuners even HD TVs.
You can alternatively use the RCA (Red White Yellow) to get a better-than-NTSC composite picture.
Neither is as good as component or HDMI, but you get either TV1 or TV2 or both with enough inputs.
-Ken

I subscribed to HD only package just 3 weeks ago with 24 month commitment. I understand they may grandfather current subscribers in terms of the coming change. But if D* does change the pricing for HD only, am I still subject to the prorated cancellation fee if I decide to cancel? Thanks!

Yes.

I called and asked if there was anyway I could get out of my Vip 622 lease fee and the CSR suggested I upgrade to a Vip 722. There is no lease fee if you have only one HD receiver. There is no longer a lease fee on my bill.
Quote from Dish'n It Up terms:

Monthly equipment rental fee of $7.00 for HD receivers; $5.00 monthly equipment rental fee for all other models will apply for each receiver activated beyond the first.

I am having a problem if this is a true statement.
I cannot find anything about Dishin' UP on the Dish Website.
I have a VIP 622; I WOULD GIVE 75 DOLLARS FOR A 722 ALL DAY LONG ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS NO LEASE FEE. I CURRENTLY LEASE ONLY ONE RECEIVER.
CAN YOU ACTUALLY DO "DISHIN' UP AND GET THE VIP 722 FOR A 75 DOLLAR FEE AND ELIMINATE THE 7 DOLLAR A MONTH LEASE FEE?
IF SO, HOW OR WHERE DO YOU DO THIS?
I AM NO LONGER UNDER CONTRACT WITH DISH SO I AM A FREEBIRD TO DO WHAT I WANT.

I am having a problem if this is a true statement.
I cannot find anything about Dishin' UP on the Dish Website.
I have a VIP 622; I WOULD GIVE 75 DOLLARS FOR A 722 ALL DAY LONG ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS NO LEASE FEE. I CURRENTLY LEASE ONLY ONE RECEIVER.
CAN YOU ACTUALLY DO "DISHIN' UP AND GET THE VIP 722 FOR A 75 DOLLAR FEE AND ELIMINATE THE 7 DOLLAR A MONTH LEASE FEE?
IF SO, HOW OR WHERE DO YOU DO THIS?
I AM NO LONGER UNDER CONTRACT WITH DISH SO I AM A FREEBIRD TO DO WHAT I WANT.
I found it after signing on to my account on the Dishnetwork site - View My Equipment - Equipment Upgrades - DISH'n It Up.

Although, the HD DVR - Enhanced High Definition DVR Receiver, which I assume is the 722, showed as $125 installed. No listing for no installation at $75.00. Guess I'll have to call a CSR to find out.

Are you special?

Early adopters of the Vip-622 that are stuck with the $7 a month lease fee like I was, here is what you can do and what I did. No more lease fee:

Upgrade to a Vip-722 under the Dish'n It Up promotion. It cost me $75 plus sales tax upfront to get the 722 delivered and install it myself. In about 11 months I break even costs wise. After that I'll be saving the $7 a month lease fee. Now I have a black box instead of silver and more recording capacity.

No free lease. UNLESS YOU GOT PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT, YOU WILL PAY A 7 DOLLAR A MONTH LEASE FEE FOR A HD DVR RECEIVER.
HERE ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR DISH'N' UP:

Terms and Conditions
Offers and pricing subject to change at any time and based on customer eligibility. With DISH'n It Up you are required to maintain qualified basic programming for 24 months or pay a pro-rated cancel fee of $10.00 per month for each month remaining in the agreement period. Limit of 2 receivers or 3 tuners per transaction, unless upgrading to 2 HD DVRs. Limit 4 leased tuners per account. Maximum of one DISH'n It Up upgrade transaction per 12 month period. Monthly equipment rental fee of $7.00 for HD receivers; $5.00 monthly equipment rental fee for all other models will apply for each receiver activated beyond the first. Monthly DVR Service Fee of $5.98 applies for all DVR receivers. 2-TV receivers must be continuously connected to land-based phone line to waive the $5.00 monthly additional outlet programming access fee. If a new dish is necessary when upgrading to HD programming, standard professional installation may be required. Monthly subscription to DishHD programming is required for HD receivers or a monthly $7.00 HD Enabling fee applies. Please call for details.

Bummer, I am not going to buy STARZ or HBO - so that is a crapload of HD Bandwidth which does not mean diddly to me... too bad... guess they get more revenue from the movie packages?

No free lease. UNLESS YOU GOT PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT, YOU WILL PAY A 7 DOLLAR A MONTH LEASE FEE FOR A HD DVR RECEIVER.
HERE ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR DISH'N' UP:

Terms and Conditions
Offers and pricing subject to change at any time and based on customer eligibility. With DISH'n It Up you are required to maintain qualified basic programming for 24 months or pay a pro-rated cancel fee of $10.00 per month for each month remaining in the agreement period. Limit of 2 receivers or 3 tuners per transaction, unless upgrading to 2 HD DVRs. Limit 4 leased tuners per account. Maximum of one DISH'n It Up upgrade transaction per 12 month period. Monthly equipment rental fee of $7.00 for HD receivers; $5.00 monthly equipment rental fee for all other models will apply for each receiver activated beyond the first. Monthly DVR Service Fee of $5.98 applies for all DVR receivers. 2-TV receivers must be continuously connected to land-based phone line to waive the $5.00 monthly additional outlet programming access fee. If a new dish is necessary when upgrading to HD programming, standard professional installation may be required. Monthly subscription to DishHD programming is required for HD receivers or a monthly $7.00 HD Enabling fee applies. Please call for details.

You have the answer as quoted in the terms: The monthly equipment rental fee does not apply to your first activated receiver. In my case, only receiver. I had to return the 622 I was leasing. That makes the new 722 my first of "X" amount of receivers. They paid for return shipping. Give them a call if you are uncertain. No special treatment for me! I wish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts