Dish network® meets 100 hd channel mark ahead of schedule

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Bummer, I am not going to buy STARZ or HBO - so that is a crapload of HD Bandwidth which does not mean diddly to me... too bad... guess they get more revenue from the movie packages?

That, and I'm thinking this way they don't have to give us grandfathered HD absolute customers these new channels. They promised that we would see all new HD channels, not including premiums, for the rst of the year. That way, next year they will have a huge carrot to lure us to the more expensive HD packs when they launch the mainstream channels.

At least, that's what my tinfoil hat tells me.

You have the answer as quoted in the terms: The monthly equipment rental fee does not apply to your first activated receiver. In my case, only receiver. I had to return the 622 I was leasing. That makes the new 722 my first of "X" amount of receivers. They paid for return shipping. Give them a call if you are uncertain. No special treatment for me! I wish!
I called and talked to a CSR this afternoon. He verified that indeed if I used DISH'N It Up to upgrade to the 722 that I would no longer have to pay the $7.00 lease fee. The price that he quoted me for the upgrade was $125.00. I was hoping for $75.00 so I told him I'd think about it.

When I upgraded from the 622 to the 722 I asked about just installing the new machine myself. The CSR said no, they were requiring that a Dish installer come out to do it. I don't recall the reason, but the installation was just swapping out one machine for another. The installer may have called Dish to activate or something--as I recall, he made a phone call at some point in the process. After he left, I had to go in and do a few things like add the zip code, make sure my preferences were correct, and so on. The whole process was painless, and the 722 worked perfectly from the start. And of course, the installer gets his money from Dish so he's both prompt and punctual.

The 722 is a much better machine, in my view. The upgrade cost has been well worth it.

Regards, Fitzie

Last edited:
I called and talked to a CSR this afternoon. He verified that indeed if I used DISH'N It Up to upgrade to the 722 that I would no longer have to pay the $7.00 lease fee. The price that he quoted me for the upgrade was $125.00. I was hoping for $75.00 so I told him I'd think about it.

I in fact upgraded from a 222 to a 722 last month and installed it myself. The price was $75.00 as they charge $50.00 to install it. I went trough ceo@echostar.com. When they shipped me the unit it was a factory refurb. That was a mistake on their part and they waved the $75 charge if I wanted to keep it which I did, and it looks and works fine. I went through ceo because of numerous issues with the 222 and I usually get better results from them. It is a great machine, and I can see why its gotten so many good reviews.

would now be a good time for all HD?

I got a subscription for the all HD + locals for like $40 with taxes... my father-in-law would like to do the same thing now. Would now be a good time to do this, or should he wait until the new plans are in order? He will need locals... its at a vacation home so keeping the price down is key. My plan would be perfect but being new to this, and not knowing dish I am very concerned about both my plan, and what is best for him.... any help?? Are there any gimmies you can get for a new subscription now.. 1 penny for cinemax, $75 pre-paid Visa... any others? Looking forward to more info from this site - Lots of knowledge on here!

You have the answer as quoted in the terms: The monthly equipment rental fee does not apply to your first activated receiver. In my case, only receiver. I had to return the 622 I was leasing. That makes the new 722 my first of "X" amount of receivers. They paid for return shipping. Give them a call if you are uncertain. No special treatment for me! I wish!

this still requires a 24month contract agreement though. I've only got 4 months left of my original 18month agreement. I'd like to get the 722 but unless E* stops f**king around and gives us SpeedHD, i might bail out in favor of D*.

man, it would be nice if FiOS would make it down to NC so i wouldn't have to make these tough decisions...

This is were you are wrong. The rest (at least Direct) does not count ALL of the their RSNs towards their total. They count only their full time HD RSNs; the game only ones on Direct are not included in their official total count. If Direct did count these (using the same counting method as Dish), then they would be able to claim over 100 HD channels.

This is gibberish, because while I can watch "The Tiddlywinks Report" on any of the RSNs using the Multi-Sports Pack, I can only watch Pro Sports on my local RSN unless I buy the $200 out-of-market packages.

[Fictional Example] It's equivalent to an NBC local channel claiming it was "NBC" even though they did not show any of the NBC prime-time programming, and then Dish Network or DirecTV claiming that they were providing you with an "NBC channel".

So, on August 1st, Dish Network will have 64 National HD Channels and DirecTV will have 60 (if they don't add more themselves).

By the way, how about a quote directly from a DirecTV executive spouting the same marketing nonsense as Dish Network:

DirecTV Group chief financial officer Michael Palkovic said that the direct-broadcast satellite giant is moving ahead with plans to launch 100 HDTV channels by the end of the year, but conceded some of those channels will be multiple feeds from sports packages such as “NFL Sunday Ticket.”
DirecTV already has about 70 HD channels under contract, Palkovic said, and that number is growing. But when asked whether the Sunday Ticket out-of-market National Football League package would count as 13 separate HD channels — the package airs 13 out of market games each week — Palkovic said it would.
“That's the way you would count that,” Palkovic said at the Banc of America Securities Media, Telecommunications & Entertainment Conference in New York last Wednesday, adding that 70 or 80 of the HD channels would be considered year-round.

This is gibberish, because while I can watch "The Tiddlywinks Report" on any of the RSNs using the Multi-Sports Pack, I can only watch Pro Sports on my local RSN unless I buy the $200 out-of-market packages.
Which is an option on Direct and not Dish. Besides that does not change the fact that it is national. Just because one has to pay more does not take away national status. (Besides I indicated that one does have to pay extra anyway).
[Fictional Example] It's equivalent to an NBC local channel claiming it was "NBC" even though they did not show any of the NBC prime-time programming, and then Dish Network or DirecTV claiming that they were providing you with an "NBC channel".
Bad analogy because you forgot to mention the fact that each network shows a different prime time show that anyone can watch if they choose to pay for that particular package, just like the premium channels. And since it is available to anyone in the country who chooses to pay, that by definition is national. You also forgot to mention that Dish only shows the prime time shows and only to those in the local market while Direct makes it available full time and allows anyone to buy a separate package that includes the prime time shows.

So, on August 1st, Dish Network will have 64 National HD Channels and DirecTV will have 60 (if they don't add more themselves).
What are you counting and not counting?

By the way, how about a quote directly from a DirecTV executive spouting the same marketing nonsense as Dish Network:
I agree, it is nonsense, which is probably why Direct chose to not actually count these particular channels. The only thing that this demonstrates is that Direct recognized counting part time stations is nonsense, while Dish is still in denial.

Last edited:
I think I see your confusion??? Correct me if I am wrong, please...

You think that I am counting the sports channels like EI and ST as part of the total, when I mention paying extra to see them?

When one pays for, say the premium package, they get all of the full time RSNs, but the pro games are blacked out. This means that they are not full time and this is the reason why many do not want to count them as part of the total. But, what many fail to realize is that these pro games on these very channels can be viewed with extra subscriptions. (Yes, I can tune directly to NESN itself and watch the Sox whenever they are on because I have EI. I do not have to turn to the actual EI channel).

This means if one is willing to pay a lot of money they CAN actually watch the out of market RSN 24/7. I believe this makes it a full time national channel, others may not...fine. I believe this because payment should not be the requirement, instead availabilty should be the criteria. Since it is availble to anyone, I have no problem counting it.

At the same time these same games can also be seen on the special simulcast sports package channels (such as the EI channels). I, nor Direct are counting these stations since they are simply simulcast of what is shown on the RSN channel itself.

Last edited:
I agree dish is not to be trusted!

:what

DISH
My view is DISH was wrong!! Not VOOM
So screw DISH

I see also that AT&T has smartened up!!
As far as Dish meeting 100 Hd channels. It's just hype!! Most not true Hi-Def anyway!!

Only thing that I am impressed about anymore with Dish is there DVR. Other then that you can have them. I'm going back to Direct or Cable. No difference anymore with programming. So what if they have more HD!! They used Voom for years until they started getting more HD. And all that is smoking mirrors since most are not true Hi-Def.
Dish is not loyal to there customers,so why should I be???!protest

I agree! I switched to Directv due to Voom being removed and it has been a great change. The HD DVR just took a bit to get used to but I see not much major difference in the hardware to ever justify untrustworthy dish networks again! Unless the bring back Voom I would never consider them. What is funny is the only good prompt communication I recieved from them was when they realized I switched; I just recieved my second communication first was a letter second was an e-mail asking me to come back, what idiots! now that they are no different and charging more and providing crappy service the choice is clearly with other providers!

I got a subscription for the all HD + locals for like $40 with taxes... my father-in-law would like to do the same thing now. Would now be a good time to do this, or should he wait until the new plans are in order? He will need locals... its at a vacation home so keeping the price down is key. My plan would be perfect but being new to this, and not knowing dish I am very concerned about both my plan, and what is best for him.... any help?? Are there any gimmies you can get for a new subscription now.. 1 penny for cinemax, $75 pre-paid Visa... any others? Looking forward to more info from this site - Lots of knowledge on here!

The current plan is a better deal than the new plans unless you want your RSN

I think I see your confusion??? Correct me if I am wrong, please...

You think that I am counting the sports channels like EI and ST as part of the total, when I mention paying extra to see them?

When one pays for, say the premium package, they get all of the full time RSNs, but the pro games are blacked out. This means that they are not full time and this is the reason why many do not want to count them as part of the total. But, what many fail to realize is that these pro games on these very channels can be viewed with extra subscriptions. (Yes, I can tune directly to NESN itself and watch the Sox whenever they are on because I have EI. I do not have to turn to the actual EI channel).

This means if one is willing to pay a lot of money they CAN actually watch the out of market RSN 24/7. I believe this makes it a full time national channel, others may not...fine. I believe this because payment should not be the requirement, instead availabilty should be the criteria. Since it is availble to anyone, I have no problem counting it.

At the same time these same games can also be seen on the special simulcast sports package channels (such as the EI channels). I, nor Direct are counting these stations since they are simply simulcast of what is shown on the RSN channel itself.

As a Direct subscriber, do you feel it is necessary to go into EVERY Dish network thread regarding channel counts, and do your own personal counting. It is getting VERY OLD at this point. Please stay out of our threads and stick to the WARZONE. Thank you.

As a Direct subscriber, do you feel it is necessary to go into EVERY Dish network thread regarding channel counts, and do your own personal counting. It is getting VERY OLD at this point. Please stay out of our threads and stick to the WARZONE. Thank you.

If DISH would not blatantly over-state their counts then he probably wouldn't.

100 HD is a joke.

Really? EVERY Dish network thread?

Sorry, if it bothers you, then don't read it

The truth of the matter is, I participate if few Dish threads and even fewer make reference to channel count (a far cry from every). The last Dish thread in which I made a reference to channel count was on the uplink report and it was pertinent to the topic. I created a list of all of the full time HD channels, including the new channels in the uplink. Every reply to it was a positive one and grateful for me taking the time to do it. Perhaps you can look at the work that I have done and use it for you own information or ignore it all together?

Let me restate my intentions. I come here to participate in honest discussion. When someone posts something that simply is not true or needs clarification, I will reply. I hope others do the same as well. This is probably the ONLY Dish thread in which I may have gone overboard on this particular issue. If I did, then I apologize. This is nowhere close to EVERY.

My post of which you replied was simply one in which I was trying to figure out someone confusion or get clarity. My first post on this issue on this thread started when one person stated that they ALL count EVERY RSN. I just posted a reply explaining why this is not true. Again, clarity.

Last edited:
I agree! I switched to Directv due to Voom being removed and it has been a great change. The HD DVR just took a bit to get used to but I see not much major difference in the hardware to ever justify untrustworthy dish networks again! Unless the bring back Voom I would never consider them...

And how is the view of the voom channels over on Direct? :rolleyes:

If DISH would not blatantly over-state their counts then he probably wouldn't.

100 HD is a joke.

Dish does a lot of things to tick me off. However, we have a warzone for that. This is more of a news and information thread with discussion. Every provider out there overstates their impact. (I get inserts in the mail every week from Time Warner Cable and AT&T U-Verse asking me to sign up with their superior HD!)

Most Dish subscribers don't go into the Direct forums touting that the HR20 is a POS. Blah, blah, blah. Again, we have the warzone for that!

Dish does a lot of things to tick me off. However, we have a warzone for that. This is more of a news and information thread with discussion. Every provider out there overstates their impact. (I get inserts in the mail every week from Time Warner Cable and AT&T U-Verse asking me to sign up with their superior HD!)

Most Dish subscribers don't go into the Direct forums touting that the HR20 is a POS. Blah, blah, blah. Again, we have the warzone for that!

That's right - we don't want any complaints about Dish here, this is for news and information only. Not necessarily true information either because since no one tells the truth anymore anyway, we prefer to be equally confused by all vendors.:rolleyes:

Does anyone else find all the "Thank You's" sort of annoying and gratuitous?

Aside from the fact that they clutter the thread - put it in a PM.

Bottom line it for me please:
I am a current subscriber to the 250 package and have HD Ultimate. Am I going to have to start paying more to keep what I have? Will I get the new channels, other then the movie ones?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts