Dish Network® Outlines Upcoming Hd Launch Schedule

Is action required to see new local HD's?

When new HD locals are activated, do they just show up in the "all HD" guide or does the subscriber have to take some action?

When new HD locals are activated, do they just show up in the "all HD" guide or does the subscriber have to take some action?
Many of the new HD locals are on a sat at 61.5. So if you don't have a dish pointed at 61.5 you will need to have a wing dish installed or wait for the Eastern Arc deployment.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
My locals are on the 148 satellite. Why can't E* put up the HD channels for all the cities on 148? There seems to be ample space.

My locals are on the 148 satellite. Why can't E* put up the HD channels for all the cities on 148? There seems to be ample space.

The main reason for both EA and 129 are that people only want one dish. People are really turned off by 2 dishes, and Dish wants to compete with a single dish solution from DIRECTV. 148 is too far away from 110 to make a practical single dish solution. So, looks like just small markets will get locals from 148 for a while. Even then you could move to 129 when it gets upgraded to spots.

The main reason for both EA and 129 are that people only want one dish. People are really turned off by 2 dishes, and Dish wants to compete with a single dish solution from DIRECTV. 148 is too far away from 110 to make a practical single dish solution. So, looks like just small markets will get locals from 148 for a while. Even then you could move to 129 when it gets upgraded to spots.

I understand the one dish goal. However, most of us with 148 have 2 dishes already. Until E* moves our SD locals to 110,119, or 129 which we also have to receive HD programming, it seems they could add our HD locals to 148 with little effort and get another press release. This add would help them reach their 100 local HD goal.

I understand the one dish goal. However, most of us with 148 have 2 dishes already. Until E* moves our SD locals to 110,119, or 129 which we also have to receive HD programming, it seems they could add our HD locals to 148 with little effort and get another press release. This add would help them reach their 100 local HD goal.

Don't forget that HD requires extra bandwidth, which the 148 may not have.

Well let's see.. From my location the look angle on 148 would be about 16 degrees off horizon.. I can only imagine how hard that would be to hit.. And further east from me would only be worse.. I don't want them moving anything unless it higher in the sky instead of lower..

Well let's see.. From my location the look angle on 148 would be about 16 degrees off horizon.. I can only imagine how hard that would be to hit.. And further east from me would only be worse.. I don't want them moving anything unless it higher in the sky instead of lower..
The east coast can't even hit the 129. I bet half the country couldn't hit the 148.

Going forward the west coast will be aimed at 110/119/129, and the east coast will be aimed at 61.5/72.7/77. 148W is mostly just used for engineering testing. No new channels will be added to 148.

The replacement satellite going to 129 will have a large spotbeam payload to increase the HD local coverage for the west coast (similar to what is being done right now with 61.5).

Going forward the west coast will be aimed at 110/119/129, and the east coast will be aimed at 61.5/72.7/77. 148W is mostly just used for engineering testing. No new channels will be added to 148.

The replacement satellite going to 129 will have a large spotbeam payload to increase the HD local coverage for the west coast (similar to what is being done right now with 61.5).
Thats good ,The Eastern arc Satellites from my location are on average 40 degree angle in the sky. That will put them Higher in the sky then the D* satellites. The E* news keeps getting better and better for me.

From what I read 129's replacement will not happen until , at best, the end of 2008. Medford,OR, Cheyenne,WY, Lubbock,TX, Casper,WY, Rapid City,SD, San Angelo, TX, Abilene-Sweetwater, TX, and Billings, Montana could have HD today without any bandwidth problems. The Fairbanks, Alaska HD locals are already on 148.

I am not suggesting that E* should move anyone else to this wing. Just give those already on the wing their HD locals until they are successful in getting the 129 replacement up.

Ok I'm new to all of this but help me understand this...I have a dish 1000+ aimed at 110, 118.7, 119, and 129. I need 118.7 for international channels. I cannot get local hd (milwaukee) because they are on 61.5 and they wount allow me to have another dish pointing to it. What is going to happen to me "soon" with eastern arc deployment? What are my options? I'm really happy with what I've got, but wouldn't mind getting local hd. Am I going to get screwed?

The east coast can't even hit the 129. I bet half the country couldn't hit the 148.

Hemi,

Its not true that all subscribers on the east coast can't get a signal from 129. The only reason some subscribers in the east can't get a signal from 129 is not that the orbital slot will not lend itself to serving the entire country, Echostar 5 (the satellite at 129) was not designed to provide service from 129. Echostar V was designed for 110, its designed footprint for 110 causes its footprint from 129 to degrade too much for some areas in the country (namely Subscribers in PA as well as North and East of PA, most of Florida outside of the Panhandle and extreme southeast Texas). I live in Western NY and I'm able to get a signal lock on 148, not that I need to receive a signal from that satellite.

61.5's signal footprint will reach subscribers on the West Coast as well. The biggest problem for West Coasters getting 61.5 is the low look angle, which is problematic for those will a lot of trees, near Hills or Mountains.

John

Yeah on all the new nationals! The Cinemax and Smithsonian channels are what I am watching the most of the new offerings. I am keeping my fingers crossed for AMC HD.

Ok I'm new to all of this but help me understand this...I have a dish 1000+ aimed at 110, 118.7, 119, and 129. I need 118.7 for international channels. I cannot get local hd (milwaukee) because they are on 61.5 and they wount allow me to have another dish pointing to it. What is going to happen to me "soon" with eastern arc deployment? What are my options? I'm really happy with what I've got, but wouldn't mind getting local hd. Am I going to get screwed?

Kenosha,
I'm not completely up on the dish technology so I could be way off, but could it be a technical limitation that your receiver can't handle pointing at more than 4 satellites at one time?

If that is the case, I agree with an earlier post of using an antenna for locals until such time that the easter arc becomes a full deployment, then you could get pointed at the eastern arc for most of your programming and have a single dish pointed at 118.7 for your international channels.

I had an installer out today moving the 61.5 they installed last month since now that there are leaves on the tree I wasn't getting any signal through it (stupid installer) and he made a comment that dish would be over 100 HD channels by the middle of next month. Since he is an installer for them I would think he has a bit of inside knowledge, but then again, maybe he was blowing smoke at me.. Since next month starts tomorrow maybe he was talking about July instead of June, but either way, I'll spread the rumor and hope it is true. In reality, getting to 100 HD channels probably only means 6-10 more that I have access to since some will be RSN or PPV channels just so they can claim they hit the centry mark. (That sure would have been a lot easier with 15 VOOM channels....)

I live in Western NY and I'm able to get a signal lock on 148, not that I need to receive a signal from that satellite.

John
So your telling me that you can get a signal in western Ny State off the 148? With an elevation look angle of less then 7 degrees? You have got to be joking.:rolleyes: Maybe with a 10 foot satellite dish ! 129 has a 18.2 degree look angle from my house . Not able to lock a signal. The 148 would be 4.3 degrees from my house. Thats really not going to happen. 129 on the east coast has the same trouble,as the 61.5 does on the west cost. Its to low on the horizon. The 148 most likly wouldn't be of any use to half the United States. http://www.echostarfixedsatellite.com/ Click on satellite fleet, and 148

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)