DISH Network(R) Reports First Quarter 2009 Financial Results

Dish seems to be dumping the unprofitable customers. This is good in the short term, but long term they need to attract profitable customers.

What was up with Scott's comment about anyone that wants dish will be able to get it, after the TS meeting? Are they going to relax credit rules again?

funny.. I just checked dish's stock and it's UP 15% (WTH??)

DISH: We've lost subscribers for the last what 4 quarters..
Stock Buyer: Sound like a good investment to me!

!?!?! stock market is so odd sometimes...

I agree that the market is very hard to understand. It is often an expectations game.

My take is that the report is better than expected, less subscriber loss than might have been expected and yet still a profit.

With the recent additions to HD offerings and the 922 in the wings there is reason for hope and that drives the market.

They had a bump up in income because of the reduced cost of customers - kinda counter intuitive - but in the short run of a few quarters, it makes things look better because expenses drop faster than income.

Looks like they have tough sledding ahead and we can expect more attention to customer concerns about service and programming if they want to stay competitive.

They will need to put more cash into customer aquisition and retention (Directv is sacrificing profit to gain customer base). Also looks like the loss of AT&T really hit them hard.

And, Echostar reports in their financials that Dish's inventory of unused receivers is climbing while the Asians are undercutting them on price for receiver sales around the world.

Being that Dish has just about the same price as D*,san channels, cheaper if you count Turbo, and has good equipment, wonder what the issue is. My main complaint would be their disconnect from the customer, and non english CSR's.

Guess thats bad enough.

Well they're locked out entire large markets. For example, New York. By electing to not carry YES Network, they've effectively given up on the Metro market... but hey, it's saving them money, right? I'd sure like to rule out a pool of 8 million potential susbscribers.

Can you smell what Charlie's cooking?....Hmmm smells like the books to me.;)

As others point out this is what happens short term as you decrease retention costs, decrease new sub acquisition costs, and decrease nonpaying customers. Sooner or later if this continues unabated, E* reaches the point where it's mostly shedding good and profitable customers and then income will fall off a cliff like Wile E. Coyote. :)

sub Count Re-Gain

Dish is down 94,000 subs---in the team summit report it states that this wednesday anyone whom wants dish will qualify. Is that how they plan to increase sub counts? Everyone approved? Very risky.

As others point out this is what happens short term as you decrease retention costs, decrease new sub acquisition costs, and decrease nonpaying customers. Sooner or later if this continues unabated, E* reaches the point where it's mostly shedding good and profitable customers and then income will fall off a cliff like Wile E. Coyote. :)

Beginning to wonder if Dish has a point because they keep losing subscribers and making a profit.:confused:

I agree that Dish's marketing has never been as good as DirecTV. Every week I get a letter in the (postal) mail from DirecTV with deals, color brochures, ect, but my friends never get one to join up with Dish. I am not sure why the other people left. I am very happy with my service, my DVR is awesome, I love the external hard drive feature (I have 3 drives full now), I've always had friendly customer service that knows what I am talking about (only ever had to make 2 calls), they recently added my HD locals for Duluth, Minnesota (which DirecTV doesn't offer), they have added a ton of high def over the past 9 months, so I am kind of scratching my head as to why people are leaving.

Did DirecTV lose any customers? I am sure some have left due to the economy and DirecTV must have lost some too, but DirecTV's gains in subscribers is their MUCH stronger promotional department and ties with Best Buy and other outlets. Dish needs to make more deals with corporations. It sure would be a turn if Charlie made a hell of a deal that Best Buy couldn't refuse :)

You can't arugue with an addition in profit though. The loss os subscribers is in no way good, but as mentioned above, the stocks have risen and financially, there seem to be OK.

I have had Dish for 2 years and the only negative I ever felt was when they took away Voom, but after the initial anger subsided (because I loved Monsters HD and Filmfest), they have added so much and seriously, for me, there is way too much to watch now in HD (being a movie fan). They certainly pleased me with my HD locals and noticed they have been adding them at a furious rate for the entire country. So the only real negative for me was the loss of Monsters HD. Otherwise I am quite content.

Looks like the 94,000 or so is a number that other satellite guys were throwing out before this was released so this should not be a huge shock. Now I gess is where we see if the info that was passed on from Team Summit will happen.

HD X
Customer Service- Waiting to be seen, though me experiences have been good. Many, many others have stated much different.

I guess the next quarter report will be a big one on if there are any changes being felt.

But I would agree with some of the other posters, you got to get some new fresh marketing adds promoting the HD and such to reach new customers!

Dish is down 94,000 subs---in the team summit report it states that this wednesday anyone whom wants dish will qualify. Is that how they plan to increase sub counts? Everyone approved? Very risky.

The problem is the ones Dish does not take go to Directv.

So I have a feeling that when the numbers are announced again in September October, Directv will be the ones posting the loss :)

Many of those purchasing stock strongly consider the business model in the evironment for the potential of future growth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)