DISH Network raising lease fee on HD to $6

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
In the dealer FACTS BLAST just sent out in a section titled Service Fee Changes - Effective February 1, 2006. Equipment Rental Fee-High Definition Receivers $6.00/Mo. looks like with the push for the VIP series of receivers comes additional monthly profits.

Okay I have been reading these posts on several threads and I am really confused.
1) Is the hd enabling fee for 6.00 only applied if you have a mpeg4 receiver and you don 't choose to add any hd programming?
2) Is the 6.00 lease fee applied to all leased receivers or is it only applied if you have a second leased receiver and it is a hd receiver?
3) I thought that if you had a leased receiver, the first one had no lease fee and it was included in the price of the programming pack.
4) I thought the 6.00 additional receiver fee was applied to your second receiver if it was a hd receiver that you owned. IF it was a sd receiver the fee for the additional receiver was 5.00.
5) If I sub to the Plat hd pack and it gives me a 5.00 discount for doing so , do I loose the discount by leasing the hd 622 dvr? I mean does the receiver then become a leased receiver with a 5.00 - 6.00 lease fee?
I am really confused over all these new fees and the discussions of the fees. Some one please help me answer these questions.:confused:

I don't even think Dish knows and won't until after February 1st.

I have not received any notice of a price increase from them yet eaither.

The $6 HD Enabling fee is if you want HD on the receiver and you do not purchase any qualified HD programming. The $6 lease fee shows up on the bill instead of the additional outlet fee therefore your paying the same amount whether you lease or own on your monthly statement. The lease fee is only charged where an additional outlet fee would have been charged if you own your own hardware therefore no lease fee on the first receiver. Only on additional receivers and additional tuners if you do not have your phoneline plugged in. On SD receivers it is $5 instead of $6. I dont know what you mean by the $5 discount on the Plat HD pack. If you are referring to AEP then everyone gets that discount plus the DVR fee gets waived when ordering that package.

Stargazer said:
The $6 HD Enabling fee is if you want HD on the receiver and you do not purchase any qualified HD programming. The $6 lease fee shows up on the bill instead of the additional outlet fee therefore your paying the same amount whether you lease or own on your monthly statement. The lease fee is only charged where an additional outlet fee would have been charged if you own your own hardware therefore no lease fee on the first receiver. Only on additional receivers and additional tuners if you do not have your phoneline plugged in. On SD receivers it is $5 instead of $6. I dont know what you mean by the $5 discount on the Plat HD pack. If you are referring to AEP then everyone gets that discount plus the DVR fee gets waived when ordering that package.

I had seen somewhere on this website that they said that the Plat hd pack would be a 5.00 discount . I think it is listed under the thread called "Some Dish information."

So If I have one leased 622 dvr and one owned 942 receiver I will be paying no lease fee for my 622 and a 6.00 additional receiver fee for my owned hd 942 receiver?

If not and they include a lease fee of 6.00 , this would wipe out the supposed 5.00 discount when you sub to the hd Plat pack. I thought if you leased a receiver that the lease fee was included in the programming pack itself. Either way it is very confusing with all of these CABLE LIKE FEES!:mad:

MikeD-C05 said:
I had seen somewhere on this website that they said that the Plat hd pack would be a 5.00 discount . I think it is listed under the thread called "Some Dish information."
So If I have one leased 622 dvr and one owned 942 receiver I will be paying no lease fee for my 622 and a 6.00 additional receiver fee for my owned hd 942 receiver?
If not and they include a lease fee of 6.00 , this would wipe out the supposed 5.00 discount when you sub to the hd Plat pack. I thought if you leased a receiver that the lease fee was included in the programming pack itself. Either way it is very confusing with all of these CABLE LIKE FEES!:mad:
In your example you should be paying a $6 lease fee the 942 would be your primary receiver.

DishHD = Dish High Dollars

I was waiting for the new DishHD for about a month, and then fianlly today Feb 1st, Dish site has been updated. I saw that Silver package was set at 64.99 (inc locals). And as this thread's subject mentions, to get this package I would have to trade my 811 for a new box to get MPEG4 locals at a price of $6 a month.

All I wanted was to get locals in HD. Off-Air sucks in Chicago suburbs without a roof mounted antenna.

Price breakdown:
$59.99 Silver (120 channels)
$5 locals
$6 lease fee
-----------------
$70.99 month + $49 upgrade fee

The nice lady on the phone has also told me that only CBS HD is available today (others to come later). So, I would have to pay $14/month extra + $49 upgrade fee to get CBS HD. What a joke. I told het to transfer me the dude that will cancel my account and send me the UPS boxes to ship my stuff back.

I then called DirecTV and got the FREE HD box (no $6 lease fee no upgrade fee). Got me the 41.99 package and HD pak.

Price Breakdown:
$41.99 TOTAL CHOICE (155 channels, incl locals, all 4 HD locals available in Chicago today)
10.99 HD Pak
------------------
$52.98 month (Includes OLN. I get HOCKEY back)

For $18 a month cheaper plus ALL locals in HD, it was a no brainer.

Dish used to be competetive. They are far from it today. I think they took a step back with this VOOM bull crap. I am not sure how many people watch VOOM channels, I could not find one channel that appeals to me. And Dish will not sell HD locals without VOOM starting Feb 1st.

The lady at Dish also told me that DirecTV will raise prices in March, DirecTV rep denied that charge.

Hope this helps some of you.

MikeD-C05 said:

Yup, I was pointing out that the dish HD pack for aep (called platinum) is only $15 more than AEP, hence you get a $5 discount if you order that pack. It's not a sperate billing line or deduction it's just a selling feature

NightRyder said:
Guess what, D* CSRs are just like E* CSRs.....:)

NightRyder

$3 increase in TOTAL CHOICE and $1 decrease in HD = $2 total increase. So, DirecTV is $16 cheaper and not $18. Still a better deal.

Thanks for the info NightRyder.

dat_dude said:
$3 increase in TOTAL CHOICE and $1 decrease in HD = $2 total increase. So, DirecTV is $16 cheaper and not $18. Still a better deal.

No problem. Hope D* works out for ya.

NightRyder

dat_dude said:

Hope you enjoy all that high quality, expansive HD line-up over at D*:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts