DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2011 Financial Results

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
D has been growing nicely for a long time, of course it might be a accounting experiment.

like stacking the deck for end of month sales, all new subs show up on schedule, departing ones dont shw up till next quarter, after all they are still getting our special free view pack so thechically they are still with us

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

I've seen some here and other places indicating surprise that Dish grew profits and subs. Here's my post from another forum that gives my opinion:

Why surprised? Dish is selling a solid product for a competitive price. Their HDDVRs are rock solid, they have a good channel lineup available and their customer service is easier to deal with more often than not.

From the average consumer viewpoint, the big difference is the sports or lack of.

On customer service, the reason I say they are easier to deal with is that in nearly all cases, I can contact tech/customer service/sales via online chat which helps ensure the a mis-communication occurs less often.

I have many friends that have one or the other service and when I bring up some of the issues discussed here, I find that virtually none of them care a whole lot about what we discuss here that seem so compelling to us. They care that the system works, has the channels they want and pay a reasonable bill. They don't get humped up over what is missing in HD, nor any of the 'apps'.

In general, they've stayed with whichever provider they are with for quite some time. In fact, the only time I've seen much in the way of switching was for locals via SAT changes and even then, not nearly as often as discussions here would indicate.

If I was Dish I would try to buy D/TV or maybe D/TV will try to buy Dish. Better just become one satellite CO..Kind of tried of these B.S and battling against each other with almost same o service provider!

If I was Dish I would try to buy D/TV or maybe D/TV will try to buy Dish. Better just become one satellite CO..Kind of tried of these B.S and battling against each other with almost same o service provider!

That only guarantees price increases with lessened competition. I doubt it would be allowed because there would only be one provider in many outer suburban and rural markets. And why do you care if they battle one another? It keeps service and product fresh.

Laddyboy said:
That only guarantees price increases with lessened competition. I doubt it would be allowed because there would only be one provider in many outer suburban and rural markets. And why do you care if they battle one another? It keeps service and product fresh.

I agree, competition is good for the consumer.

Several years back, when DirecTV was up for sale, Dish tried to buy it. It was shot down by the US Department of Justice..... It ain't gonna happen.

It would be nice if they could (or would) cooperate in certain areas like having common points of presence in DMAs to collect local signals and possibly even deliver them together. It would cut costs and/or save bandwidth. but I am afraid that technical and/or business considerations preclude this.

I'd upgrade to AT200 and only pay $5 more Charlie, IF you add CSN Chicago HD full time as well as have a strategy to show CSN Chicago Plus HD along with other cities overflow RSN's. This current tinkering of the HD RSN guide info every morning is getting tiresome. Maybe Frontier has a good deal with Directv. Perhaps Charlie won't show ANY sports either, hmmm.

I recall reading an article which stated that, very roughly, one third of Americans follow sports regularly, one third casually, and one third not at all.

At work, I'd say over half follow sports. My wife and I, and my in-laws: NONE follow sports at all.
So your people at work already show lack of interest if only 50% of them ... since 1/3 follow regularly, 1/3 follow casually that would be 66.67% ... following sports in some capacity ... in my location (3 primary employees) it was exactly 2/3's follow, 1/3rd not following (me, the tech).

I've seen some here and other places indicating surprise that Dish grew profits and subs. Here's my post from another forum that gives my opinion:

Why surprised? Dish is selling a solid product for a competitive price. Their HDDVRs are rock solid, they have a good channel lineup available and their customer service is easier to deal with more often than not.
and of course the main thing forgotten .. "rock solid for you" I've hated my 722k's since the moment I've had them. I've hated the inability to use the SlingAdapter for anything more than remote TV viewing.. ie.. skip forward/back change channels change from one dvr'd item to another .... it would have been cheaper, less frustrating, and overall better for me had I pulled out my diplexers, and run from coax output to my home office into a 27 inch tube TV rather than use my secondary PC Monitor and sling for remote inhouse watching.

And that's if you don't count the people who have problems getting SlingAdapter and 922 sling loadeds to work. And thats also if you discount the steady flow of "deleted DVR items" from some glitch ... etc.. that people report. If you take power, hard drive failure, and weather out of the equation, every DVR should perform 100% perfectly, 100% of the time.

is their hardware good? maybe.. is it great? absolutely not. is it rock solid? only if you mean as a paper weight.

and of course the main thing forgotten .. "rock solid for you" I've hated my 722k's since the moment I've had them. I've hated the inability to use the SlingAdapter for anything more than remote TV viewing.. ie.. skip forward/back change channels change from one dvr'd item to another .... it would have been cheaper, less frustrating, and overall better for me had I pulled out my diplexers, and run from coax output to my home office into a 27 inch tube TV rather than use my secondary PC Monitor and sling for remote inhouse watching.

And that's if you don't count the people who have problems getting SlingAdapter and 922 sling loadeds to work. And thats also if you discount the steady flow of "deleted DVR items" from some glitch ... etc.. that people report. If you take power, hard drive failure, and weather out of the equation, every DVR should perform 100% perfectly, 100% of the time.

is their hardware good? maybe.. is it great? absolutely not. is it rock solid? only if you mean as a paper weight.

YMMV, of course. But the vast majority don't have all those issues if you look at posts here and at DBSTalk. For me, I've never had any real issues that were more than a very seldom occurring thing. And that is on many different HDDVRs over the years. Both my 722k and 612 have been all but totally trouble-free, and the older 8xx something I had a number of years ago worked flawlessly with the exception of the hinky HDMI connector.

But all things are in comparison, aren't they? With D*, I had good service, but it took 4 HR20's and then finally changed to an HR21 to get it right on the initial install. Then a couple of their equipment-slowing-upgrades wiped out all my recordings. But still I would have classed them as pretty darned good. Overall, after the initial mess, they operated as advertised. I left D* because of their dog-slow operation and now that they are well behind E* in national HD, I'm glad to say that I made the right move for my viewing needs.

I will admit to not having a 922 as I never thought much of it and still don't. Sling doesn't interest me at all, but reading here and many other places, it seems that most are not having major glitches with it, but some have minor issues.

100k more than Dish

Including Latin American Subs, DirecTV gained a total of 611,000
To answer the question asked (as opposed to everything but), DIRECTV added 184,000 customers in 2011Q1.

Your math sucks as DIRECTV added 126,000 more customers than DISH did over the same period.

YMMV, of course. But the vast majority don't have all those issues if you look at posts here and at DBSTalk. For me, I've never had any real issues that were more than a very seldom occurring thing. And that is on many different HDDVRs over the years. Both my 722k and 612 have been all but totally trouble-free, and the older 8xx something I had a number of years ago worked flawlessly with the exception of the hinky HDMI connector.

But all things are in comparison, aren't they? With D*, I had good service, but it took 4 HR20's and then finally changed to an HR21 to get it right on the initial install. Then a couple of their equipment-slowing-upgrades wiped out all my recordings. But still I would have classed them as pretty darned good. Overall, after the initial mess, they operated as advertised. I left D* because of their dog-slow operation and now that they are well behind E* in national HD, I'm glad to say that I made the right move for my viewing needs.

I will admit to not having a 922 as I never thought much of it and still don't. Sling doesn't interest me at all, but reading here and many other places, it seems that most are not having major glitches with it, but some have minor issues.

My wants were I wanted to have a HDDVR without the HD package.I could not do that with DirecTV,I can with Dish Network.:)

Now with my latest upgrade going from the 625,to the 622, to the 722k/wMT2(Jan.2011) I only added the HD for Life because I could do both contracts at the same time so it made sense for me even though I'm SD only.And if for some reason I decide to get an HDTV, I'm HD picture ready.;):D

Like I have said before Dish Network is the most versatile service I have ever used to.:D

To answer the question asked (as opposed to everything but), DIRECTV added 184,000 customers in 2011Q1.

Your math sucks as DIRECTV added 126,000 more customers than DISH did over the same period.
It was a generalization. ;)

I woke up read the DirecTV report on a post that was equivalent to 30 pages :p and just glanced to see that they had a net gain in the 100k's. I then looked at the Dish thread and noticed the question and that Dish had a net gain in the 80k's. Without reading the exact numbers because I was eating breakfast and getting ready for work at the time I just made a general post of a round about number.

-The following is said with a light Sarcastic Tone-

I was simply answering a question, but for some reason it appeared to offend you???

Next time I will be sure to check with you to make sure my posts are up to your standards before I post them. ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts