DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2015 Financial Results

People are also dying too.
It's not like the world's overall population in increasing at such a rate that the USA add 13 million Net people every year with no deaths.

That's what population growth means, it includes deaths and births. Just in my lifetime, the world has gone from 2 1/2 billion to 7 billion. That means that in that time period 4 1/2 billion more people were born than died. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762181.html

In that same period, the population of the USA has doubled from 150 million to over 300 million. http://geography.about.com/od/obtainpopulationdata/a/uspop.htm

I think part of it is theat Direct aggressively markets itself. I get flyers every Sunday in the add section of the Sunday paper. I get direct mailings and I almost always see a booth set up in the local BJ's Wholesale Club.
I've never seen Dish do any of the above.

I think part of it is theat Direct aggressively markets itself. I get flyers every Sunday in the add section of the Sunday paper. I get direct mailings and I almost always see a booth set up in the local BJ's Wholesale Club.
I've never seen Dish do any of the above.

I don't know about the rest but maybe you don't get mail from Dish because you are already a subscriber. Since canceling a year and a half ago I get letters every couple weeks saying "we want you back" and offering $200 gift cards if I sign a 2 year contract. Dish is definitely in the mail business too.

So well? 60,000 added is so well? Which is probably from the recent disputes churn from Dish.
Could be, but DISH is almost always losing subs instead of adding them- with the exception of last year at this time where they added some. Directv more than not is adding them. Either way I agree that most of pay tv is sinking like the Titanic ,but DIRECTV seems to have their lifeboats out and staying afloat.

Seeing as DTV is the easiest provider to account stack with, and the only one with Sunday Ticket, I can see why.

It should be noted that Dish doesn't carry NY RSNs, which could be a notable reason why they can't gain a certain percentage in NY. Regarding Dish's sinking boat:
article said:
For the full year 2010, Dish, led by CEO Charlie Ergen, added about 33,000 subscribers. It ended 2010 with 14.13 million subscribers.
link

Always losing subscribers? 13.84 million at the end of 1st Qtr 2015. 14.1 million at the end of 2010. They aren't sinking, they are floating. SlingTV is their lifeboat.

Seeing as DTV is the easiest provider to account stack with, and the only one with Sunday Ticket, I can see why.
But wouldn't account stacking show less subs, if everybody is on the same account ? I would think that their numbers would be much less,but if enough people are doing it, I guess their numbers could go up. But just imagine if all those account stackers were counted as individual subs. DISH has eliminated that possibility by using the DISH AUDIT department. I don't think Directv even has a department like that.

Yeah, I bet DTV "sub" numbers are higher than reported. I know of 3 cases of stacking just from my circle of co-workers, family and friends.

I'm saying that churn is less likely due to stacking, but mostly because of ST.

Last edited:
With dish hopper policy's I find it hard to believe Account stacking is a big number of customers. It's way easier and cheaper to add stacked accounts to a swm16 and a swm 32

With PayTV as a sinking ship, I wish someone would come up with a live stream online service that would include sports channels for a reasonable price. Like 20-30 channels for $20.

With PayTV as a sinking ship, I wish someone would come up with a live stream online service that would include sports channels for a reasonable price. Like 20-30 channels for $20.

Who cares about live streams except for sports and news?

I would be happy with a TV service with on demand channel apps like what I get on my iPad, FX Now for example.

Reactions: Troch77
So something like SlingTV???

No locals, no Fox channels like FX Now or Fox News and their On Demand I thought is 3 days back ( most channel apps on the Roku and iPad are 5 to 17 weeks back), no access to outside apps, only one stream at a time and too much money for what you get.

It would cost me more per month if I dropped TV with Comcast ( and kept Extreme 150) to sign with Sling and lose a lot of what I have.

So what you are saying is you need a pay TV provider because streaming isn't enough... And it's still very relevant for you?

Not exactly.
Yes it does, it is because of population growth, we don't keep building homes because someone just wants to buy a new house, someone moves into the old home, they just do not stay vacant.

My example, bought my first house at 22, bought my second house at 33, sold my first house to another younger person.

Just to start with , There are many homes or apartment complexes that were demolished and not rebuilt that people moved from. How many of those new homes were second vacation homes where the owners did not need any TV service and does technically stay empty part of the time, or in the case of Satellite bring their receiver there? Then there are "Spec homes" that remain owned by the builder and can and do stay empty for awhile. A good portion of those people have been getting service and simply continue in the home they have moved to. In addition to all that, there are many apartment complexes that include cable so when people move into them they have cable or Satellite but it does not trigger as an additional family. Add to all that, In Law apartments or spaces in new homes have made a comeback in many places, so when the Parents move in they very well will simply be on whatever service the rest of the house has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)