DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results

I do believe DirecTV has about 11 transponders at 119 and about 5 transponders at 110.

IF that happens, I wonder what Dish will do about HD spotbeams, what I mean to say is, they’ll just about have to go all MPEG4, I don’t think they could shoehorn all the HD from 129 plus the HD locals. Of course, they could make the markets that are dual WA and EA go to one or the other. I know of several in the south, Birmingham, Atlanta, Huntsville, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans to name a few.

IF that happens, I wonder what Dish will do about HD spotbeams, what I mean to say is, they’ll just about have to go all MPEG4, I don’t think they could shoehorn all the HD from 129 plus the HD locals. Of course, they could make the markets that are dual WA and EA go to one or the other. I know of several in the south, Birmingham, Atlanta, Huntsville, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans to name a few.

Also they still have a lot of locals in SD on 110 that are in HD on the eastern arc. They've been threatening to turn off the SD locals on 110 for our market for the last couple of years but they're still there.

I doubt Sling TV shows that more growth and would be a waste of money to really invest in it, for example-

DIRECTV NOW according to the report added 342,000 subscribers during the 2nd quarter of 2018. During that same time, Sling TV added just 41,000 subscribers. Well, Sling TV still holds a substantial lead with over 2.3 million, but DIRECTV NOW is closing fast.

If these numbers continue DIRECTV NOW will surpass Sling TV in 2018 to become the largest live TV streaming services in the United States.

DIRECTV NOW On Track to Be The Largest Live TV Streaming Service in The United States - Cord Cutters News
You left out the part where directv dropped approximately 900,000 satellite subscribers in the last year.

It's why at&t bought DirecTV. They bought the subscriber list and are using it to shift them from satellite to their internet system.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

You left out the part where directv dropped approximately 900,000 satellite subscribers in the last year.

Because it had nothing to do with Now gaining more subs then Sling.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I doubt Sling TV shows that more growth and would be a waste of money to really invest in it, for example-

DIRECTV NOW according to the report added 342,000 subscribers during the 2nd quarter of 2018. During that same time, Sling TV added just 41,000 subscribers. Well, Sling TV still holds a substantial lead with over 2.3 million, but DIRECTV NOW is closing fast.

If these numbers continue DIRECTV NOW will surpass Sling TV in 2018 to become the largest live TV streaming services in the United States.

DIRECTV NOW On Track to Be The Largest Live TV Streaming Service in The United States - Cord Cutters News
Looks like Sling Tv needs to up the dvr recording capacity. 50 hours isn't near enough.

Also they still have a lot of locals in SD on 110 that are in HD on the eastern arc. They've been threatening to turn off the SD locals on 110 for our market for the last couple of years but they're still there.

Someone would have to slog through the numbers but if they leased the directv spectrum at 119W and 110W, it is probably doable .

They would move Echostar 18 out of it's parking orbit at 61.5W and place it at 110W. It is licensed for service at 110W.

E18 has something like double the number of spot beams when compared to their other spot beam satellites with probably 90 percent of the beams covering US markets.

But, I'd still bet they are haggling on lease prices.

Reactions: JSheridan
In my area, add Cleveland and Detroit to the list. Also, many people have complained about Columbus, Ohio locals only being on 129, and most of the Columbus channels are already mirrored on Eastern Arc for the Zanesville market.

According to Lyngsat the only thing DirecTV has on 110 is a test card.
Sorry to tell you, but Lyngsat is NOT 100% accurate...if you really want to know where everything is on any DirecTV birds, go to this site & download the 180808_Spot_Beam_tpngrid.xlsx SS: (you'll notice the whole SS was just updated yesterday)
Satellite Transponder Information
click on the 110_D5 blue tab & you can see every channel still on it; after they removed all the US channels from this bird, they moved it to focus it's power primarily on PR.

I agree that Ciel and dish are still in negotiations. However I also believe IMHO that dish is in Hush Hush negotiations with AT&T to buy DirecTV's licenses for transponders at 110 and 119 and this is the real reason for the delay in leasing 129 for a second installment and so close to the clock running out.

AT&T would have no problem, and in fact, would love to sell dish their transponders at 110 and 119 because from AT&T's view it would be like selling dish "magic beans." AT&T has made it clear from day one with continued public statements that they are getting out of the satellite business they want nothing to do with satellite they are going all-in for their streaming service DirecTVNow. AT&T has absolutely no use for the transponders at 110 and 119. First the only buyer for those transponders will be the only other satellite DBS service: dish. and if dish wants to spend money on what AT&T considers to be obsolete and very costly technology, then yeah they're fine with dish buying those transponders. most importantly to AT&T, they would at least be able to get some money for transponders they have absolutely no value to DirecTV nor use for them, but have tremendous value to Dish, even if it does provide more bandwidth for dish or allows them to save some money by not having to get a second lease for 129 because it doesn't matter to AT&T because they're going to go all streaming they want nothing to do with satellite.

"Hey Charlie you invest more and more money in your satellites and pay us money for what are useless transponders for us and hold no value to anyone but you dish, and that's fine with us," says AT&T, "because those transponders from our view give you absolutely no Advantage at all because you're still dealing with satellite while we're dumping that Tech and now making money selling that Tech to you while we are going all-in for streaming and have plenty of bandwidth with our own DTV Satellites with the all mpeg 4 transition. Yes we will sell to you dish for a fair price and we certainly rather get your money for our useless transponders then have Ciel get your money for their sat lease." From AT&T's perspective, dish are suckers if they spend their dish money on AT&T useless transponders.

IMHO, it's all up to Charlie. Either it's a good price to acquiring AT&T's licenses at 110 and 119 and no longer be dependent on leased sat at 129 (my theory is when 118 goes EOL, Dish will just offer all Internationals at Sling International streaming service). If it's not a good price he'll just re-up with Ciel who at the current moment have no other customer that will be paying them as much as dish for the entire capacity of Ciel 2 all the way to end of life, or perhaps dish leasing Ciel 2 for only a short period until transfer of licenses is approved.

Bottom line, IMHO, I think Dish is in current hush-hush negotiations with AT&T for its licenses at 110 and 119 and has waited this long so close to the clock running out before leasing for a second installment with Ceil at 129.
I know I'm gonna upset some of you but the inevitable is going to happen and that is DirecTV and dish merging like SiriusXM to form one satellite provider. With the current landscape it's the only way satellite is going to survive

No, that is a myth that won't die. They are going all MPEG4...which does NOT mean EVERY channel will be in HD. They WILL still have SD channels - either that still are NOT originated in HD &/or that AT&T does NOT have an HD carriage agreement for - that will simply be converted to MPEG4 SD. They already do this now for some SD channels (some SD locals & PI channels) that are broadcast from the Ka birds.

But the bottom line is...whether you care about HD service or not, you'll ONLY be able to use HD equipment after this transition, since there were never any MPEG4 SD-only receivers made. (unless you count that weird R22 DVR, which really was simply a rebranded HR22, as it had full HD capabilities when it was put on an HD account)

Actually the Com2000 systems they use in hotels and hospitals can do SD over coax

A matter of fact I have 2 properties with this configuration since the customer didn’t have pro-idium commercial grade Tv’s

The systems are set to standard def!

If Directv did away with SD, they would either need to waive the HD encryption requirement or give the customers pro-iDium converter boxes.

I agree that Ciel and dish are still in negotiations. However I also believe IMHO that dish is in Hush Hush negotiations with AT&T to buy DirecTV's licenses for transponders at 110 and 119 and this is the real reason for the delay in leasing 129 for a second installment and so close to the clock running out.

AT&T would have no problem, and in fact, would love to sell dish their transponders at 110 and 119 because from AT&T's view it would be like selling dish "magic beans." AT&T has made it clear from day one with continued public statements that they are getting out of the satellite business they want nothing to do with satellite they are going all-in for their streaming service DirecTVNow. AT&T has absolutely no use for the transponders at 110 and 119. First the only buyer for those transponders will be the only other satellite DBS service: dish. and if dish wants to spend money on what AT&T considers to be obsolete and very costly technology, then yeah they're fine with dish buying those transponders. most importantly to AT&T, they would at least be able to get some money for transponders they have absolutely no value to DirecTV nor use for them, but have tremendous value to Dish, even if it does provide more bandwidth for dish or allows them to save some money by not having to get a second lease for 129 because it doesn't matter to AT&T because they're going to go all streaming they want nothing to do with satellite.

"Hey Charlie you invest more and more money in your satellites and pay us money for what are useless transponders for us and hold no value to anyone but you dish, and that's fine with us," says AT&T, "because those transponders from our view give you absolutely no Advantage at all because you're still dealing with satellite while we're dumping that Tech and now making money selling that Tech to you while we are going all-in for streaming and have plenty of bandwidth with our own DTV Satellites with the all mpeg 4 transition. Yes we will sell to you dish for a fair price and we certainly rather get your money for our useless transponders then have Ciel get your money for their sat lease." From AT&T's perspective, dish are suckers if they spend their dish money on AT&T useless transponders.

IMHO, it's all up to Charlie. Either it's a good price to acquiring AT&T's licenses at 110 and 119 and no longer be dependent on leased sat at 129 (my theory is when 118 goes EOL, Dish will just offer all Internationals at Sling International streaming service). If it's not a good price he'll just re-up with Ciel who at the current moment have no other customer that will be paying them as much as dish for the entire capacity of Ciel 2 all the way to end of life, or perhaps dish leasing Ciel 2 for only a short period until transfer of licenses is approved.

Bottom line, IMHO, I think Dish is in current hush-hush negotiations with AT&T for its licenses at 110 and 119 and has waited this long so close to the clock running out before leasing for a second installment with Ceil at 129.

First of all AT&T Does not need the money, and the satellites are still operational.

You just don’t sell spectrum away in a cash deal to your competition, unless your selling the entire company and getting out of the business.

The only way AT&T Is doing any deal with Charlie would be in exchange for the terrestrial spectrum that Charlie is holding on to that AT&T Could use for cellular.

Unless something like that happens, your living in a pipe dream if you think Charlie is ever going to get his precious 11 transponders at 119 and 3 more at 110.

Directv may not use 110/119 that much, but that’s 21 4K channels that Dish wouldn’t have the capacity to ever offer.

Reactions: dishrich
Because it had nothing to do with Now gaining more subs then Sling.
???. It absolutely does.

At&T video subscribers are about flat, growing at about 1 percent in the last year, but their satellite customers shrank by about 4.5 percent.

So they are pushing shifting the method of delivery for their customers.

My brother in law was one of them. He called about something on his wireless plan and ended up adding at&t internet video and dropping his DirecTV .

It's all about owning the customer.

First of all AT&T Does not need the money, and the satellites are still operational.

You just don’t sell spectrum away in a cash deal to your competition, unless your selling the entire company and getting out of the business.

The only way AT&T Is doing any deal with Charlie would be in exchange for the terrestrial spectrum that Charlie is holding on to that AT&T Could use for cellular.

Unless something like that happens, your living in a pipe dream if you think Charlie is ever going to get his precious 11 transponders at 119 and 3 more at 110.

Directv may not use 110/119 that much, but that’s 21 4K channels that Dish wouldn’t have the capacity to ever offer.

DirecTV would not "sell" spectrum , they would lease it .

We have no idea of what " deals" at-t did .
Did dish fight tooth and nail to stop their conglomeration. No. Why not?

And, money is money and
At&t is on the edge on that issue, approaching junk bond status with Increasing interest rates and refinancing looming in the near future.

Moody's Cuts AT&T Credit Rating Citing Billions of Debt From Time Warner Deal

It is an interesting idea. The deal between Directv and Dish could have already been struck a long time ago, but never announced publicly. That could be the reason for Directv's January 2019 deadline for completing their MPEG-4 transition, so they could free up those transponders for Dish before Dish's lease for the 129 slot expires.

It is an interesting idea. The deal between Directv and Dish could have already been struck a long time ago, but never announced publicly. That could be the reason for Directv's January 2019 deadline for completing their MPEG-4 transition, so they could free up those transponders for Dish before Dish's lease for the 129 slot expires.

That sounds like collusion. :biggrin

Reactions: bobvick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts