DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2019 Financial Results

I certainly do not know all the facts or pretend I would be able to evaluate them if I did have them. But cautiously I think there is a bottoming out happenning. At the least for now. Neflix has underperformed and like the post somewhere above I too am seeing more DISH dishes. We have friends who got DISH after trying streaming. That's mostly all anecdotal.

Last edited:
Satellite operation is faster, DVR function better. Some value this, some don’t.

Remember, once you have the satellites in orbit, sending the signal to one person costs the same as 100 million. But there is the STB cost, which is in fact a profit center.

For streaming, each and every added person costs a little bit more to deliver a signal to. And if there’s no STB, that’s a lost revenue stream.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

In my housing complex, I am seeing a lot more dishes go up. Would be interesting to see how many TV subs Comcrap lost in the same period. Interesting tidbit is that I am seeing more houses with a Dish Network dish and a DTV dish up on the roof. Good idea to pit them against one another for the best deal.

Sling TV seems to be doing OK. How many streaming subscribers does Direct have? I am happy with Dish, but if I changed, Sling would probably be my choice.

If I were to drop Dish, it would most likely be a combination of OTA and Sling that would replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeD-C05
In my housing complex, I am seeing a lot more dishes go up. Would be interesting to see how many TV subs Comcrap lost in the same period. Interesting tidbit is that I am seeing more houses with a Dish Network dish and a DTV dish up on the roof. Good idea to pit them against one another for the best deal.

It’s Comcast, not Comcrap

Just read an interesting analysis of the whole DISH/T-Mobile/Sprint saga by Roger Entner, the founder of Recon Analytics, a firm specializing in research and analysis of the telecom industry. He's been around awhile, writing and speaking. The whole article is interesting, although most of it isn't pertinent to this thread about DISH's satellite TV business. But one bit is, and I found it surprising. I'll quote it here, emphasis mine:

Ultimately, Dish could be an aggressive competitor similar to what it is in satellite. Dish competes on price and features with good customer service. Unfortunately, at the current trajectory, the satellite business will become unprofitable in about three years as subscribers, revenue and profit are declining precipitously. The underlying profitability of Dish’s core satellite business, capital intensity of wireless, the hyper-competitiveness of the wireless industry, the vagaries of international politics, delays in technical standards, the fickleness of investors, and plain old execution risks are the biggest complicating factors in Dish becoming successful in wireless.
So an industry expert is saying that DISH's satellite TV business will be a money-loser by end of 2022. Wow. I'm a little more bearish on the future of satellite TV than some but I still thought that DISH and/or DirecTV (or, more likely, a combined "DishDirect" operation) could maintain profitable operations until at least 2025, perhaps until 2030, given the longevity of their combined satellite fleet, which includes DirecTV's just-launched T-16 bird.

That 2022 timeframe rings a bell. There's a guy who posts on this site over on the DirecTV side (can't recall his name) and he's a former DirecTV employee and remains in touch with engineers who still work there. He claims that they're making internal plans and shifts in resources, etc. that are suggestive of some kind of big downshift in the whole operation in the next few years, around that 2022 timeframe, IIRC.

If either or both of those guys (Entner or the former DTV employee) know what they're talking about, we may very well be looking at some kind of joint operating agreement between DTV and DISH quite soon. The biggest thing that could allow satellite TV to lengthen the window of time that it could operate profitably would be to create some sort of non-aggression pact with your only direct competitor (if not outright eliminate them) by merging or forming some sort of cooperative joint venture. And of course, such a move would also restore some lost scale and help bring down per-subscriber operating costs -- once operations were combined, lots of employees in customer service, installation, billing, etc. could be laid off.

Ju
So an industry expert is saying that DISH's satellite TV business will be a money-loser by end of 2022. Wow. I'm a little more bearish on the future of satellite TV than some but I still thought that DISH and/or DirecTV (or, more likely, a combined "DishDirect" operation) could maintain profitable operations until at least 2025, perhaps until 2030, given the longevity of their combined satellite fleet, which includes DirecTV's just-launched T-16 bird.

T.

Satellite is basically unlimited tv streaming bandwidth and broad swaths of the country have very poor bandwidth without satellite. It will be a long long time, if ever, before satellite becomes uneconomic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts