DISH Network Reports Year-End 2015 Financial Results

Except... Charlie said exactly that a few years ago. They were going to concentrate on customers who pay their bill because when the economy is bad most companies can afford to carry customers as they can in better times. They would not woo customers just for the numbers. So are they not giving much in the way to those who are looking for discounts but not paying on time, probably not very often. Have they raised what a new customer must have for a credit rating for the better deals, could be. The overall effect could be more customers leaving and less coming as new customers. (My simplified explanation of what I think they are doing based on his comments)
It does not answer it for all sub loses of course, but the industry is losing subs in the U.S. I'm guessing DISH does not want to lose many more subs though... :)
See you're not completely sold on Charlie "assessment "on the subject either.
Without sling tv, they would be down 600,000 plus ,thousand subs.

I remember when Dish had 14.1 Satellite TV subs. And now 13. 8 with adding in Sling Tv subscribers.
Now honestly I don't see how they can get away with combined numbers when it's 2 completely different services.

Soon he'll be including his Internet customers in his overall subscriber count.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I am starting to see a lot of people just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic going on here. I understand that a lot of people that like Charlie and think he is doing just great , but there is a bigger picture here. Yes, they are tightening on credit standards, but over all the industry is shedding subs as they churn and or die out-with the exception of Directv /ATT. DISH is continuing to raise their fees with the hopper 3 at $15.00. This makes current subs either not sub to the higher hopper 3 or it's fee or new subs simply churn when their commitment is up . But even after adding their 600,000 Sling Tv subs in with their Sat subs , DISH is losing it's core satellite business numbers. With all that included they still showed 81,000 lost. DISH is losing almost every quarter and Sling Tv is still not ready for primetime. Even Charlie has said as much . He said the biggest road block is the technological . When a lot of subs want to watch an event , the website crashes. Until this is addressed , Sling tv will just cause churn from Sling Tv and of course DISH, for cord cutters and cord shavers. I can tell you that personally I subbed to Sling Tv again this last month and I tried to watch debates on CNN while at work using my 4g hot spot and the site crashed , froze and it was entirely not watchable. I tuned into my DISH anywhere account and watched live tv, using the same hot spot and I could see and hear the whole thing without issues. I have already cancelled my Sling Tv subscription at the end of his cycle due to this. I've said it before and I will say it again; If a company keeps losing subs each quarter , something is wrong. This effects their stock , their dividends and their very future as a company. If Charlie is doing so great , why hasn't he come out with a solution to this problem that continues to plague DISH? IF he was a candidate running for President and he had this kind of primary losses , he would of already dropped out by now.

Reactions: osu1991
I have been hearing the overly pessimistic forecasting the death of satellite TV since scrambling started in 1986. Satellite TV ain't going anywhere anytime soon. There are huge areas of the country with millions of people who may not have fast unlimited internet suitable for streaming for years and years, if ever. And some people just don't want to stream. AT&T's DirecTV is only gaining subs because they're cannibalizing their UVerse business.

Things are changing, that's the nature of life. IMHO things with DISH are changing for the better. Have you seen a Hopper 3 yet? :)

AT&T's DirecTV is only gaining subs because they're cannibalizing their UVerse business.
DirecTv's current gain may only be temporary. I believe many will leave due to massive problems with their "integrated" billing which is not ready for prime time, which is laughable at this point because they have certainly had enough time to fix it.

Reactions: JSheridan
Concentrating on the number of subs is a fallacy to begin with. The number of subs does not matter if they are not paying their share... Period... And Charlie has made his point that he will continue to offer the best service for the cheapest price to those that will actually pay. You see these numbers dropping, yet more money coming in... Not from increased prices, but from less subsidizing on customers that feel like they are better than any other customer, or just don't pay their bills at all.

Well, I guess we will just keep shaking the pom poms:cheer again this year despite all the facts to the contrary. But, maybe it will all change in the near future. The DISH sat business will boom again and sub numbers will magically go through the roof. IF that happens I will admit I was wrong, but I am betting that I won't be.:smug

Reactions: osu1991
as dish continues to lose subs, and sees the tighter credit standards hurting future numbers. the credit stanards will be lowered again.

historically this has happened before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)