DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - August 18th, 2011

Some people do not qualify to get leased receivers while others like the flexibility of their own receivers being able to activate and deactivate at will without having to send the receivers back (and the $15 return fee now associated with that). Another advantage is being able to subscribe to a cheaper programming package and having the receiver without having to wait for an install if you want programming turned back on. This is great for snowbirds.

Some people do not qualify to get leased receivers while others like the flexibility of their own receivers being able to activate and deactivate at will without having to send the receivers back (and the $15 return fee now associated with that).
The return fee only applies when you cancel.

Yes, hence why some may want to purchase the unit so that they do not have to return and pay the $15 fee each time they want to shut their service off and have to sign up for service again and wait for an install when they can already have their owned equipment at the own house. Since they charged that fee it gave another advantage to owning your own equipment.

I do agree that most are better off with leased equipment these days but some people are told by Dish Network a price that is almost or the same to lease equipment as it cost to buy it as they do not qualify for any of the special deals if they are already a current customer.

Seems we've got some REAL surprises coming next year.

They probably ought to make the XiP lease only and be done with it. But with the tailgater, I'm sure they'll be selling ViP211K units for years.

From what I have seen and read about the XIP series, it appears to be a new way for Dish to add FEES, FEES, and MORE FEES to an account.

So far they are VAPORWARE, and I will withhold further opinion until I see one actually installed, play with it and make certain it is 100% backward compatible with the cable in both the house we currently own and the one we are about to purchase. The LAST thing I am going to allow is some installer to come in and tell me I cannot use the cable we already have installed because the new XIP system "does not work that way."

Finally, we NEVER lease. We PURCHASE. If it is a lease only item, it will never be in our house.

Make it 100% compatible with existing cable, and make it a PURCHASABLE, SELF-INSTALLABLE item, or don't even tell me about it.

The XIP will work with any cable already installed in the house.

Look for a lot of news on it including its launch at CES in January. :)

The XIP will work with any cable already installed in the house.

Look for a lot of news on it including its launch at CES in January. :)

That means : So much for a November debut of the Xip whole house dvr. DISH seems to miss the holiday period for gifts EVERY time they release a new Receiver concept. Now lets get back to the promised release of the SLING extender. Supposed to be released July of 2010 , then July of 2011 and then mid August 2011, What is the new release date Scott?

Maybe they'll be really early for the NEXT holiday period. ;)

I'm not convinced there will be fees, fees and more fees with the XiP series. If it is intended as the standard install for the new installs, I'd expect there to be:
Programming package fee
Basic fee for the XiP base unit (probably)
Fee for each sub unit (110) - this only makes sense.
The equivalent of the DVR fee
Taxes, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)