Dish Network Retailer Chat Recap - July 10, 2007

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
We could see WWE 24/7 and Howard TV on VOD in the future. The first step however is to get VOD out there and working and showing the industry that the technology works and is secure before they start adding subscription VOD services.

......The first step however is to get VOD out there and working and showing the industry that the technology works and is secure before they start adding subscription VOD services.
I would think in order to see if it works, people would have to start ordering from it. Why would someone order a movie for $5 when they can get it from PPV for less money and better sound plus be able to record it on their DVR and keep it forever?

Now if they started making top-notch, 5 star classics available for say a buck a pop and allow non-digital line out or internal DVR recording, they might actually create some demand (pardon the pun):). Until then it's just a waste of space that is only succeeding in turning customers off before they even get started.

We could see WWE 24/7 and Howard TV on VOD in the future. The first step however is to get VOD out there and working and showing the industry that the technology works and is secure before they start adding subscription VOD services.

How is it ever going to "work"? This reminds me of the attempt to sell us the original DIVX dvd disks. We would "buy" the movie, but only have a coaster at the end of a day or two.

I guess this is nice if you are a WWE addict and can't get your fill now, but is that market really large enough to build an industry on?

Brad

I guess this is nice if you are a WWE addict and can't get your fill now, but is that market really large enough to build an industry on?
Brad

Video on Demand is pretty successful in cable. The real question here is how it works with satellite. What, when you order a movie Dish uploads it to the satellite and you download it similar to how it is streamed to you from the cable company when you order a VOD? Only in Dish's case it is stored on your 722?

I have both Dish and BHN cable and cable has a lot of VOD. Aside from the premium channels with movies on demand and pay per view, much of it is a novelty. They have VOD for many of the cable channels like CNN, TNT, TBS, etc, but I never watch that junk. I am sure some people do. I just use it for the premium channels but none of it is in HD. You can get HD on Demand but it is all PPV.

I watched an Discovery type show for free when they enabled VOD on my 522 unit. The few times I have checked since then showed nothing available (for free at least), so I stopped looking. I wouldn't have paid for the show I watched though.

Brad

I've been juggling my options. I've had DISH since April 2006. I recently picked up a Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV. Watching standard definition TV sucks bad on most channels and I am unable to use an OTA antenna to get the local HD channels due to not being able to place another antenna on the roof (hoa restrictions). The small models get 0 signal strength no matter what I do. I am hoping DISH adds USA Network HD and Sci-Fi Channel HD to their channel lineup, since I'm looking to get the DISH HD package. Since DirecTV is getting both channels in HD this Fall, I'm hoping DISH follows suit. I can't make up my mind whether to wait until August 15th or utilize the current promotion. I don't know which one will be better, lol. Any info on those 2 channels or specific DISH HD promotions? Thanks.

Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)