DISH Network Satellite TV Offers Pentagon Channel

I understand your concerns, but propaganda becomes a concern when the ONLY source of information is controlled by the state.

Even though the war had many instances where "pool" coverage was required, there were many ther cases where the governments inability to control the media brought about a heap of trouble (Abu Graib (sp?), "embedded journalists", the beheadings, the soldiers mud wrestling, etc.). I'd like to get the Pentagon's version alongside the media version. Neither side is totally unbiased, but I like to evaluate both myself. Also, the Pentagon Channel may focus more on stories that the media may find unnewsworthy. Just because it isn't sensational doesn't mean it should be ignored.

I hear what you are saying, but I don't fully agree. Propaganda is always a problem, even with the media supposadly checking facts. The more control the government has over access to the news, the worse it is.

It looks like an interesting channel to me. It appears to be targeted to those serving in the military, or for their families wishing to get a better idea of what goes on. I am not in the military, nor have I ever been, but I am a taxpayer and find it interesting to see where my tax dollars are going. This channel is certainly more informative to the average American than other official media outlets, such as the VOA.

Just slightly off topic - does anyone know where this channel is produced? I suspect it is done at March ARB in my hometown of Moreno Valley CA, where AFRTS originates.

This channel has actually been available Free-to-Air since at least August. It does look interesting but I haven't really watched any of it yet.

Hey, anything that gets more info to the hundreds of thousands of families concerned about their family members over there is OK by me.....

dlsnyder said:
Just slightly off topic - does anyone know where this channel is produced? I suspect it is done at March ARB in my hometown of Moreno Valley CA, where AFRTS originates.
The phone numbers on the website are in Virginia. 703-428-xxxx "Washington Zone 8". (The Pentagon Tour office is also in the same "zone".)

They do call it "The Pentagon Channel". :D

JL

ken said:
Some of you guys make me sick. I'm a vet and dam proud of it. If you want to bitch then how about bitching about some of the foreign crap that is now on DISH. We have more than 130.000 troops in harms way and that means a whole lot of family members that want to keep up on whats going on.

I'd prefer the Pentagon spend their budget getting equipment, supplies, even comfort items to those troops, as opposed to buying bandwidth for their spin on the news...

nebguy94 said:
I'd prefer the Pentagon spend their budget getting equipment, supplies, even comfort items to those troops, as opposed to buying bandwidth for their spin on the news...
This is the same news that's broadcast on the Armed Forces Network, to the soldiers, by the soldiers. I doubt there's a fee to put it on the satellite.

mdonnelly said:
This is the same news that's broadcast on the Armed Forces Network, to the soldiers, by the soldiers. I doubt there's a fee to put it on the satellite.
It is a minor fee, just enough to cover about half of the cost of uplinking the channel. Production of the channel is going to happen regardless of it's presence on Dish Network.

JL

Sapient said:
I hear what you are saying, but I don't fully agree. Propaganda is always a problem, even with the media supposadly checking facts. The more control the government has over access to the news, the worse it is.

No offense but if you don't think all media is a form of biased propaganda you are in denial. EVERY kind of information share comes inherient with the bias of its presentors.
The pentagon channel servers a purpose and its well known what that bias will be. I see no problem with this and actually prefer known biased channels to the pretendors like CNN or MSNBC. They try to hide thier biases, while clearly supporting certain specific agendas that are biased. This ultimately undermines their credibility, because you can never account for thier motivations.

After seeing stories on The Pentagon Channel that reflect embarasing situations (military people doing bad and most are stories I have not heard of in other media) I'd say that it isn't tightly controlled propaganda. This isn't the rose colored glass channel.

If you want strong bias, watch FSTV.

JL

bradb007 said:
No offense but if you don't think all media is a form of biased propaganda you are in denial. EVERY kind of information share comes inherient with the bias of its presentors.

Of course. Mainstream news is owed by big corporations, and as such tend to represnt that point of view. But they still serve as a check on govenmental propoganda, even if they get lazier every year. And, quite frankly, the government is in a far better position to do damage through propoganda.

The news has an obligation to take the claims made by anyone, expecially the government, and actually check them. When the news becomes free of such checks, we are all the worse for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)