Dish Network Self Install, Contracts etc.

JB884

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Hello,

As I mentioned in another section of the forum I am interesting in subscribing to Dish Network's Racetrack Television Network (RTN) horse racing package that they began offering a couple months ago. According to RTN, which used to be a separate satellite service before moving to Dish Network, it is not necessary to subscribe to any other Dish Network programming in order to get RTN. However in order for this to be the case they mention that it is necessary to pay for equipment and installation.

My question is, can I purchase the necessary dish and receiver from an online retailer and install it myself then activate the package I want? I'm assuming Dish Network allows or has to allow self-installs if you purchase the equipment yourself?

If I go to a place like Sadoun Satellite online, and purchase one of their Dish Network receivers, I am not under any 2 year contract obligation? If I remember correctly any equipment you get from an online retailer for DirecTV still comes with a 2 year contract, is this not the case with Dish?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
JB

So this is opposite of DirecTV, where even if you buy something online or in a store it is still leased and requires a 2 year contract?

Thanks,
JB

So this is opposite of DirecTV, where even if you buy something online or in a store it is still leased and requires a 2 year contract?

Thanks,
JB
It is the same as Directv, if you really buy the Directv equipment there is no 2 year commitment but the price of buying is considerably higher than the lease fee most people think is a purchase price.

DISH offers leases which are usually free or low cost upgrades that come with 2 year contracts. DISH also has prices for outright purchases of the equipment which do not require a 2 yr. commitment.

It is the same as Directv, if you really buy the Directv equipment there is no 2 year commitment but the price of buying is considerably higher than the lease fee most people think is a purchase price.

DISH offers leases which are usually free or low cost upgrades that come with 2 year contracts. DISH also has prices for outright purchases of the equipment which do not require a 2 yr. commitment.

It is not exactly the same. My understanding is that directv asserts ownership of purchased boxes (from anywhere) while I _own_ my dish network boxes. In the end, it does cost the same or (usually) more to own your equipment... but you don't have to live under a contract and sometimes credit worthiness is a bit more flexible in my personal experience.

So can anyone confirm for sure that if I go to a place like dishstore.net or sadoun satellite and purchase say a VIP 222K for $120 that I actually own the receiver and am not subject to a 2 year commitment of regular programming? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
JB

Last year I bought a receiver for a 2nd TV. It didn't extend my contract, the day I close my account I won't have to return it and certainly I can resell it.

According to other posts, you can buy your own receiver and dish, do the install yourself and call Dish to create an account. You wouldn't get any promotional price but also you wouldn't tie to a contract, and can cancel at any time without paying cancellation.

If you only get the RTN you will have to pay a $6 monthly fee for not subscribing to a basic programming package (eg Dish Mexico, Dish America, AT120, etc).

So can anyone confirm for sure that if I go to a place like dishstore.net or sadoun satellite and purchase say a VIP 222K for $120 that I actually own the receiver and am not subject to a 2 year commitment of regular programming? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks
JB

Confirmed. It is not the same as Directv. You own the equipment and there is no commitment. And the cost to buy a Dish Network receiver is equal to or less than the cost to get one from Directv on lease.

Confirmed. It is not the same as Directv. You own the equipment and there is no commitment. And the cost to buy a Dish Network receiver is equal to or less than the cost to get one from Directv on lease.

Thank you sir. That is good to know.

JB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)