Dish Network service at a Discount

satellite rookie

Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Has anyone been able to find Dish Service offered at a Discount? I am thinking of replacing my cable service with Dish Network. I got something in the mail from my phone company (Sprint) I think that a lot of them are selling Satellite service now - anyhow, if I buy through them, I get a $5 discount each month. Anyone know if that is real or not? :confused:

I did more research last night and found information on their web site.

http://www.sprint.com/dishnetwork

It looks like if I buy it from Sprint, I can get it at a lower cost than if I buy directly from Dish Network. This is definitely less expensive then my cable provider. I used to shy away from satellite because they did not have the local network channels, but my neighbor says that he gets all of the networks from Dish Network.

Is the coverage as good as cable? This is about 50% less than my cable bill!

What do you mean by coverage? And be careful to compare plans with similar levels of service----which might be what youa re referring to.

I didn't mean coverage, I mean reliability. Does the Satellite go out very often due to weather? The channels look pretty good on the Top 120 package. If I read correctly, I can hook 2 TV's up to one "box" or receiver. With my cable, I have to have a box for each TV to get the Digital cable. I am just surprised at how much cheaper it is! I also like that I can get it on the same bill as my phone and internet service. Thanks for your help!

I live in MN and in 2 years have lost signal maybe 5 times (2 due to heavy wet snow)
The rain fade has been maybe 10 minutes total (one time we had torrential rain for about 10 minutes)

Other than that, works real good :)

I called Sprint to sign up for Dish Network and they were able to take care of it! I am scheduled to get it on Monday - hope is goes ok. I did end up getting the $5 discount - so it ends up being $35 per month for the top 120 or 125 channels ( I can't remember) and that includes my local channels. Pretty good deal!! Thanks for your help! :)

Good luck! You'll enjoy it, I'm sure! :)
Here in rainy Houston, it's about the same as Iceberg... I have only lost the signal a couple of times - and those were in TORRENTAL downpours!

Only thing is, if you are getting the 522 - the DVR with 2 outputs - you'll have to pay a $5/month charge for it. Still, it works out cheaper than the rest of us!
And check out the Sirus music channels in the 6000's. That's worth almost $10/month that we get for free! :)

Well, the installation of our Dish service was great! The whole process was great! I called and got it for $35 and got the box that hooks to TV (and we can watch separate shows on each TV and record shows - like a TIVO they said - never thought I would get to have a TIVO...) Anyhow,they showed me how to use everything. It is great - much better deal than satellite. I am glad that I changed! I am tired of supporting my cable company - they constantly raise rates! Thanks everyone for the advice! :)

Hi. Sorry if this thread is very outdated, but what I have to say is relevant to the matter, and it is happening to me right now.

Personally I hate Sprint. They monopolize my town, and they continue to rip us off every chance they get. For example, they recently changed our service plan without informing us just to steal more of our money.

As for their DISH Network service, none of the Sprint CSRs know anything about E*. For example, we were told when we purchased DISH Network service from them that DISH Network would handle all of our tech support claims, and that Sprint's role in this is arrangement is only to collect the bills. However, when we recently called DISH Network's tech support, we were told that our account did not exist with DISH Network. So technically, we aren't DISH Network customers. We were instead connected to a Sprint tech support center, and again we got to speak to the same incompetent Sprint CSRs.

I had Sprint doing the same thing to me so I tried to find another company to serve me. First I looked on the City website to find another and it said Frontier served my area so I called the number and the lady says Sprint may I help you? WTF I did'nt call Sprint I called Frontier Apparently Sprint owns them so I went to the attorney Generals website and found a list of phone company's serving Minnesota and better yet which cities or areas they serve. So to make a long story short I found a company called Lakedale Link and even though they use all of Sprints lines and such it still ended up being about ten dollars less than Sprint per month. The best part is my neighbor works for Sprint and I told him I switched cause they were ten dollars cheaper and he said I could'nt because Sprint owns all the lines and such, so I showed him my hand written envelope with my confirmation. He was a little miffed by the whole affair especially since I kept reminding him they were ten dollars cheaper! :D P.S. when you call thier phone number an actual person answers the phone and you don't have to push 1 for english!!! :shocked

That is true in most of the states my area is dominated by SBC but I get my service from Sage Telecom. Sage leases the lines from SBC so I get my service cheaper from Sage when I checked this summer I was paying less with taxes and line charge to Sage than SBC wanted before taxes and charges. With any of the Satellite promotions you must have bundled services to save money from the Telcos and don't try changing service levels on their bundles you might lose satellite or internet services if you no longer qualify. If you shop around you may find better bargins than a $4-5 savings on bundled service. If it is that important to pay as few bills as possible consider Credit Card Autopay on some services and then send your 1 payment to the credit card. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts