Dish Network service vs Directv

ds650

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
Great timing on this forum.
So in the last 5+ weeks I've been talking with E* & D*. I've been with D* since July of 2000. Always been 100% uptime. Super product. The only downside is I'm in a NRTC area. That used to not matter, but with the HD & DVR's coming from everywhere my local supplier is clueless. I sometimes call Direct instead of my local supplier & they do help me out. One of the Dish local retailers biggest selling point is that Dish is not a NRTC in this area. My mom had Direct & after her moved bought a Dish AT180 from this retailer. It's a nice setup, but she just got 3 301 boxes.
I got fedup with my local guys & called Dish up just to inquire about the 4 room setup. It was a 522 & a 322 with Superdish for my locals. Next thing I know I'm signing up. So the day of my big install arrives & the installer cancels. Next week he shows up & says he won't put it where my Direct dish is because wind will catch the King size Superdish. (it's really the only option I have to put a Dish anywhere) Ok, so I call Dish to cancel my order & when I tell them why they say we'll send a second guy out. I said why is that. He said "Some installers just don't want certain jobs!!!!" WTH? So anyway they promise me a feild tech in 2 weeks. All the while I'm browsing these boards & DBStalk & seeing Dish get drilled for reliability, broken promises & poor Customer Service. I must admit the "Dish NOTwork" was a funny name. Anyway so I start getting a bad feeling about Dish. So I call Direct & tell them my local guys are slow on getting locals to me, can they override them? Sure enough they offer me an install 4 days out. I moved it back to 2 more days because of work. I'm getting a new Directv dish, 2 new recievers & a Tivo. But I must sign a year commitment. When I call to cancel Dish they give me the big speech about Dish is better .... So they offer to give me a month free of the AT180. I decide to cancel anyway & the guy tells me his phone won't let him transfer me to cancellations! It gets better.... Anyway the Dish guys show up when they were suppossed to even though they aren't told I have no contract being I finally did call late to cancel it. OK I'm, done right...? Tivo is coming, Direct has me covered Dish couldn't step up to the plate!!!!!!
So today Dish CALLS ME! They are wanting to know what channels I watch etc. He asks who I have now. I tell him Direct & he says why them. I tell him they are the benchmark. So he goes into his sell, which I tell him this whole story I'm typing now. He says give us a chance before you resign with Direct. I said when can you even check to see if a Superdish is feasible? (remember their first installer said it wasn't) They say the 30th. I said I need it sooner because of work. Direct will be here the 23rd. I said all I need is a yes or no. If it's a yes we can wait a couple of weeks for the install, but I'm not going to cancel Direct to have you tell me that I can't use a Superdish a weeks later & put me back to square one & possibly into the new year before I get setup with Direct. The guys says he can't. I said, OK I'm sticking with Direct then. He says, "Let me know when you want a better service." No kidding!!! So I think about it & call Dish back. I told another guy what happened he said he didn't know what he could do so he transfers me. A woman picks up & knows nothing about the ordeal. I explain it all. I then ask if my 522 would have Name based recording, she says no we don't have that on our DVRs. !!!!! I said didn't 50K people get that software upgrade???? These people don't even know what they are selling! So I told her to get out here sooner than the 30th to give me a yes or no & I'll cancel my Direct appointment. She said she couldn't. I said you guys called me. So anyway Dish doesn't have what it takes to step up & get it done & Direct makes it happen.
I live where the only cable that horrible Adelphia. This town has Dishes all over. It's between D* & E* for me.
Just think about that, after two botched installs, Dish CALLS ME & tells me I NEED A BETTER PROVIDER & then can't back it up by even coming out to give me an opinion on the install!!!!! No wonder people love Direct. I don't need all the Tivo functions, the 522 with NBR & caller id really suits me needs better I must admit & I've love to try one but Dish just continues to shoot themselves in the foot. Don't worry I will post this story on all DBS type boards & tell all 1350 people I work with about Dish. With the internet at my fingertips one guy can influence potential buyers.

If anyone from Dish reads this & is smart enough to get the ball rolling and wants to try & be world class like Direct is let me know. I'll still give you a fair shot, even after your co-workers botch it all up.

email me for contact

rewker@earthlink.net

Too many trees

Ordered Dish Network, out came the installer only to tell me he could not line up 110 and or 119. I was hoping to have instant replay and more channels I was dumping cable. NOW, is there a solution for one or both of thesse questions can you hook a dvr such as 501 to cable or is there another solution. Please advise.

d1griz@comcast.net

Always get a second opinon

dgriz said:
Ordered Dish Network, out came the installer only to tell me he could not line up 110 and or 119. I was hoping to have instant replay and more channels I was dumping cable. NOW, is there a solution for one or both of thesse questions can you hook a dvr such as 501 to cable or is there another solution. Please advise.

d1griz@comcast.net

Before You decide NOT to get Dish, get a second opinon of the site, maybe ask for a senior Tech or installer. Maybe ask what You can do to make the install more easy for the installer. Sometimes when I go to a job & see more work than normal I will say LOS, (line of sight). This maybe even more true if the installer did not tell You about a second opinon, chances are Your problem is with 119, for Directv that will mean Your locals only will be affected, for Dish You are SOL without 119. :cool:

KyInstaller said:
Before You decide NOT to get Dish, get a second opinon of the site, maybe ask for a senior Tech or installer. Maybe ask what You can do to make the install more easy for the installer. Sometimes when I go to a job & see more work than normal I will say LOS, (line of sight). This maybe even more true if the installer did not tell You about a second opinon, chances are Your problem is with 119, for Directv that will mean Your locals only will be affected, for Dish You are SOL without 119. :cool:

I know you probably don't work for Dish directly being an installer. But it reflects terribly on Dish as a company when someone does not want to do a job they are hired to do. Think I like my job? Heck no, but I do it anyway.

That is a piss poor reason to not install (line of site excuse). Do the job you are hired to do!!! Dish needs to weed out the bad installers they contract but I don't think they can keep up with that because of all the loose ends inhouse as far as bad CSR and software developers.

Such issues can show up from both places. At one time I was nearly in DirecTV's clutches due to my frustration with the 522 lease only situation. The day of the scheduled install the installer calls to say they don't have all the parts they need to install. This after I took the day off to be available as they required. They wanted to do it the next week. I told them to skip it and canceled the install.

Prior to that the same installer had had various communication issues with promising this, the recinding that, saying they would call me back, then me having to call them back. So there was history before telling the to skip it.

My inital Dish install went without a hitch. And when I moved I did my own install without a problem.

So everyone seems to just really struggle with installs being hit or miss. I would say training needs to be better, but I really think it's pretty good. I start to wonder if some of the issues just simply are not the result of the people doing the installs being unable to deal with the minimal complexity that DBS installs become.

You wouldn't have issues with poor installation and lack of installer motivation if the pay rates weren't so stringient. To be asked to provide many premium services for base price, knowing the customer was incorrectly told everything for free, knowing uninformed CSR's will back them up, knowing they'll catch heck from their managers for penny pinching a customer causing them to cancel..

maybe it's just easier to lie and say there's no line of sight than to deal with the bull.

Dish, you do not make life easier on the installers at all.

Sometimes when I go to a job & see more work than normal I will say LOS, (line of sight).

It's a damn good thing you don't work for me, If I heard one of my installers say that, they wouldn't be here. Maybe you need to find another job!!!!!

Me personaly I cant believe you even said that.

I'd say it's one part lazy people, hard to find a decent hard working individual.

Another I'd say it's hard to keep a hard working tech with the level of incompetence they face on a daily basis. Workorder modifications, free custom labor, unknowledgable CSR's, pressured management....

If it were only as simple as pointing a dish and running some wire.

If an installer learns all the technical details of how to actually do it correctly and has lots of experience making everything work, he is overqualified for what the job pays.

I'm not claiming to be an expert but I think I've gleaned enough knowledge and experience to be a top-notch installer for Dish Network, unfortunately my family could not live on the income. I've gotten too used to getting paid well for my skills.

What you get paid by depends on who you work for. If you work for dish network directly, you get paid a minimum of $11.25 an hour and you do not get paid by the job (the dish employee that came install my system explained all this to me because my neighbors were having dish installed at the same time and a contractor was installing their system so I ask him about it). If you work for a dish contractor (any company that dish is paying to install their systems) than you wage is usually per job and is generally controlled by the dish contractor and how much percentage you get out of the overall amount that dish pays that company per job. :)

It sounds like where I work. Some people make so little they DON'T care.

I'm a frequent poster on a discussion forum dedicated to THE Ohio State University football. Every year ESPN Gameplan is brought up by someone. You know what I'll post about sat. providers who sell it.... tOSU has a GIANT alumni base. Thousands will read that post. I'm not out to get Dish, but I can't tell someone to try Dish in good conscious after my experience.

Here is what happened at work today. There is a guy there who has Dish & a giant Mitsu Tv, home audio etc. He always brags about Dish to me. How I should switch. I've been talking to him on & off about it. So today he asks, "Hey did you get Dish hooked up yet?" So of course I told him the whole story. He says, "I can't believe that, they treat me great & hook me up. I don't have the extended warranty & whenever I have a problem they let me send my recievers back & send me new ones." My reply, "I've never had to send a Directv reciever back."

Maybe that conversation is Direct vs Dish in a nutshell....?

Like I said two QA guys contacted me & I'm certainly willing to work with Dish if they can pull a rabbit out of their hat.

CEHodge said:
A top-notch installer would have barried the cables in the back yard. :)
How do you BARRY cables last time I tried I BURIED the cable. Barry was a kid that sat in front of me in some classes.
:( :( :(

CEHodge said:
A top-notch installer would have barried the cables in the back yard. :)
How do you BARRY cables last time I tried I BURIED the cable. Barry was a kid that sat in front of me in some classes.
:( :( :( there is a feature called spellcheck more people should use it.

11.25 per hour to drive that pretty van, please

im a certified directv TECH with SBCA certification

i make 280.00 per day 6 days per week

stuff it charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!

pole mounts arent free...........100.00

wall fishes 75.00 each turn of the fish tape

phone jacks, same as verizon, 65.00 each

40 foot ladder 75.00 to deliver

again charlie,,,,,stuff it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts