Dish Network/SES Americom was granted to moved AMC 16 to 118.75

This is big news...

Wonder what they will do with all the extra space?

I was told in the past if this move was agreed to that you would get the 118.7 location with an existing Dish500 without the need for any repeaking. I wonder if this is true or not.

:clap :clap

Excellent! The FCC has been fairly cooperative with Echostar lately. Even with regard to the E10 conflict with Directv. They could've denied use of the whole satellite until the conflict was resolved. Bravo FCC, E*, SES, and Telsat Canada.

The way I read the report they will use the extra capacity for internationals. Is a standard LNBF capable of tuning in those frequencies though? Seems like a Dish 500 might be sufficient for this if the power is high enough.

Here is the quote from the report...

"EchoStar plans to use AMC-16 to offer international programming, including
existing services and new international services as they are added to EchoStar’s programming line-up.

By moving certain existing programming to AMC-16, EchoStar will free capacity on its other satellites,
allowing EchoStar to provide expanded local-into-local and HDTV services to its customers.21"

As far as I know its reverse polarity of whats at 119, so a Dish 500 should pick them up fine.

Alls that would be needed is Dish upgrades the software to support up to 64 transponders at 119 instead of 32 (Or whatever the number of total transponder is)

Scott Greczkowski said:
As far as I know its reverse polarity of whats at 119, so a Dish 500 should pick them up fine.

Alls that would be needed is Dish upgrades the software to support up to 64 transponders at 119 instead of 32 (Or whatever the number of total transponder is)

Don't they use RH/LH polarization in FSS? I thought a conventional DBS LNBF would only do CP. Would we need a different LNBF to pick up those FSS transponders?

I am confused, I thought this was a DBS bird which was supposed to be parked at 85 however they have been granted to move it at 118.7.

Is it a DBS bird or a FSS bird?

It has Ka and Ku capacity. They are licensed for FSS service from 118.75, which apparently is a Canadian FSS slot. They got a waiver to hold their Ka license at 85 until they can move it back. They have until December 31, 2006 or they lose their Ka license.

dlsnyder said:
It has Ka and Ku capacity. They are licensed for FSS service from 118.75, which apparently is a Canadian FSS slot. They got a waiver to hold their Ka license at 85 until they can move it back. They have until December 31, 2006 or they lose their Ka license.

If this is a FSS bird then it would require a bigger dish, but since its near 119, they could use some custom form of dual KUFSS/DBS LNBF and maybe even a smaller dish (than the oblong Superdish) to pick up this slot.

Just thinking, dont know if that's truely possible.

Another quote from the report...

We also modify authorizations held by EchoStar Satellite LLC (EchoStar) so as to permit the reception of Ku-band direct-to-home (DTH) Fixed Satellite Service (FSS) from AMC-16 at the 118.75º W.L. orbital location, and TT&C and feeder link communications from U.S. earth stations to the AMC-16 satellite. We also grant SES Americom’s request for a waiver Section 25.161(c) of the Commission’s rules to allow it to retain its Ka-band2 authorization at the 85° W.L. orbital location. These actions will allow early commencement of Ku-band DTH FSS service to U.S. customers from an orbital location capable of providing service to the contiguous United States. Accordingly, our action here will improve the choice of service to consumers in the U.S. multichannel video programming distribution
(MVPD) market

mdonnelly said:
:clap :clap

Excellent! The FCC has been fairly cooperative with Echostar lately. Even with regard to the E10 conflict with Directv. They could've denied use of the whole satellite until the conflict was resolved. Bravo FCC, E*, SES, and Telsat Canada.

Yes! Things are looking better all the time!

--Doug

bcope9 said:
OK first we're getting rid of Superdish, now we may need something that is 30"
round, just no football shape

Right this is a FSS bird (like 105 and 121 are) so yes it would require a "larger" dish, but its hard to tell what E* is thinking, its possible this will be where they put internationals, who knows. Only E* I guess to what their thinking.

Bottom line is you'll need a dish big enough to pick up the lower powered signals with a FSS LNB capable of doing horizontal and vertical polarities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts