Dish Network Signal Integrity

I wasn't saying that the transmission had anything to do with it. I think you misunderstood what I meant. Dish is the cheaper and easier target because it uses an open system that is easily received by off the shelf receivers. DirecTV is more of a closed system, you cant "buy" their receivers anymore, they are all leases, and their transmission is a closed system as well. Piracy will go to the easiest and most economical way of compromising the signal.
It is generally believed that that (economics) is one reason that there was never a VCII+ (Plus hack) released. By the time the VCII datastream was shut off (especially the commercial data stream) programming prices were cheaper than keeping a broken board going. Had the programmers offered their services to TVRO users at reasonable prices (what cable paid or less) in 1986, there would have probably never been a wide acceptance of broken VCII boards back then.
I bet now that a lot of Dish's trouble is in Canada where they want the service but can't get it without a lot of trouble and the same for Dish, it is probably much harder for them to go after the dealers that sell the equipment and service to compromise the signal in a foreign country.

Canada is always going to be a problem. The international channels are also a big draw, especially with Arabic and Indian customers.

What company and which slot? Seems "screwing them out of it" would be kind of hard since they are licensed by the FCC.

I think it was 110 and IIRC happened when one of the proposed mergers failed. I don't remember the all the details but Charlie made out like a bandit, just like he usually does. ;)

I think it was 110 and IIRC happened when one of the proposed mergers failed. I don't remember the all the details but Charlie made out like a bandit, just like he usually does. ;)
Ok, the ASkyB deal. Somehow seems like MCI was also involved with that.

Are you referring to the pirate channel that used to be on modified fta?

the pirate channel was on my receiver, turned on by mike dugan who turned it on for a couple days so i could see what they did with my idea. i never saw the pretty pirate girl on any other dish channel. the ancient bombing of the pirate ship was appropiate. it appeared in the guide every 5 or 6 channels for anyone getting service without being authoritized

M
the pirate channel was on my receiver, turned on by mike dugan who turned it on for a couple days so i could see what they did with my idea. i never saw the pretty pirate girl on any other dish channel. the ancient bombing of the pirate ship was appropiate. it appeared in the guide every 5 or 6 channels for anyone getting service without being authoritized
Maybe you didn't know, but they used the pirate channel on modified fta receiver in the early days for people were viewing unauthorized programme

The deal was that Charlie got the 110 satellite and slot from Newscorp. Charlie was supposed to pay for the deal with Dish network stock, which at the time would have given Rupert Murdoch a considerable stake in Dish Network.

To Charlie's advantage the Dish stock went through the roof in value, so when it was time to pay Rupert in Dish stock, it did not give him as as huge as a controlling interest as he wanted

Rupert got his money, but was paid in less shares of higher priced stock.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts