DISH NETWORK slashes prices

andrews777 said:
I can get a "new" phone free every two years with cell phone companies. The same is not true of Dish. :)

Brad
And if I'm not mistaken you probably have to sign another 1 or 2 year contract to get those "NEW" phones ;) .

Perhaps Comcast has a one year special on all their channels and that Dish Network is losing some satellite subs in that area to them. Charter was offering special deals for three months only but is now offering those special deals for twelve months so I am sure this gets people to reconsider cable or switch back to it for twelve months. Eventually something will have to give if people keep switching back and forth temporarily just to get a deal. They have to match each other in order to keep going. This reminds me of GM and their employee discount to everyone. Chrysler and Ford had to match it or lose a bit of business to GM.

Aren't those Motorola 6408 and 6412 HD-DVRs the ones with the tiny hard drives? Don't they have just 80GB and 120GB respectively?

A two-tuner HD DVR with just 120GB strikes me as ridiculous. I've read where people recording high bitrate HD are getting as few as 12-14 hours before the disc is full.

Frankly I consider one of the weaknesses of the 942 is that it has only a 250GB disc.

Tom Bombadil said:
Aren't those Motorola 6408 and 6412 HD-DVRs the ones with the tiny hard drives? Don't they have just 80GB and 120GB respectively?
Yes. It is a bad bad thing. Luckily, though, it's the only negative I've noticed.(That, and every so often it takes a few seconds to respond to the remote, as if the memory is full for a second.)

But, it doesn't really affect me too much, as I delete programs immediately after watching; I don't make a zillion recordings to begin with (I have a life beyond TV); and, the firewire port is great for offloading content digitally. (But, HD downconverted through the s-video port to a DVD recorder still looks great.)

How's the firewire port working on the 942? Pretty good?

I was searching around another forum and came across a post from a guy with a Motorola HD DVR with an 80GB drive, don't know if it was the 6208 or 6408, and he wrote that he was only able to save 7.5 hours of HD on it. Apparently about 10GB is consumed by system software and/or reserved for pause space, leaving about 70GB for program storage.

That would still be useful, heck just being able to pause a program is very useful. But I'm reminded of my first Dishplayer that had 8.6GB, which stored about 6 hours of programming. I grew frustrated with that very quickly.

I would not go back with Dish Network after what they tried to do after Voom shut down. I use to be a customer and they didn't give a damn about getting me back. I told them to cram it. I went with DirecTV and got a Samsung HD receiver for $200 through my dealer and with the $200 rebate from DirecTV for coming over from Voom cost me $0. Even though I am at odds with DirecTV about there pricing on NFL Sunday Ticket, I am happy with the deal.

You guys are nuts, I just checked my bill and I'll save $0.36 next month...

Now, if that's not savings, I don't know what is...=)

New here

Have been lurking for a while. Just signed up. I am a sub and shopping for a HDTV and upgrading the system I have now. Lots of good reading here.
question: How will I be able to hook up to FIOS sitting in the AZ desert in my motorhome? Dish works real well there! :cool: lol

Neither Dish or DTV is all that accomodating to ex-subs. Dish used to have a policy that a customer only qualified for one "new sub" deal in a lifetime. I've heard they are a bit better than that now, if you contact the right department, but even then, it takes a 2-3 year hiatus to get a decent deal.

If you bolted Dish for VOOM and then tried to come back within 12-18 months, then it isn't a surprise if they didn't offer you any kind of deal.

The reason for these policies is that if people keep switching to DTV to Cable to Dish and then around the circle again, over and over, and each time getting a new customer deal, the total cost to the providers would run into the billions.

So if you were on Dish and jumped to VOOM, but had never been on DTV, then only DTV was going to offer you a big deal. Or perhaps your cable company if you hadn't been with them before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)