DISH Network Sling Adapter Vs. SlingBox PRO-HD

Jim1348

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I am just wondering if anybody here has BOTH the DISH Network Sling Adapter and SlingBox PRO-HD, do both of them work equally well or does one work better than the other?

I have both an frequently use both. I think the sling box gives you almost full control as if you were at home with the remote. I paid $30 for the sling app but I think it's only $15 now.

The dish remote access app is free and in my opinion it is more user friendly in regards of ease to navigate.

The slingbox is around $100 I think and the Sling adapter is $49. Sling adapter set up and configuration is easier than the sling box.

Slingbox Pro HD is far more versatile. It gives you the same experience as if you were watching TV at home. Plus, it has multiple inputs, for more than just your DVR. OTOH, it's HD input is limited to component, which doesn't work with channels that utilize HDCP. (HBO uses it, iirc.)

Sling Adapter limits you to watching live and recorded programming, setting/deleting timers, and deleting recordings, which is still a lot. And, HDCP channels should still work.

The price difference is huge, unless the SB Pro has come down. Until recently, the price was ~$225 for SB Pro vs ~$50 for SA.

Slingbox pro is the best sling ever made - better than the new boxes. I use mine all the time not only for watching TV from distant places but to monitor security cameras, have a ball game on the radio that is not televised, etc.... For the cost the sling adaptor isn't bad but the pro does so much more.

I had both and I used both.

The slingadapter only works with the Dish app and has pretty good intregration with the Guide and DVR listings in a native app/web interface format whether on a mobile phone or from the web. The problem I always had was randomly, the Dish Online service would just stop talking to my receivers effectively cutting me off. From what I understand, that is still an issue though I can't confirm because I no longer have the Slingadapter. It is easy to install with a single USB plug and that enables full control of the receive through the app/web.

The Slingbox OTOH is a seperate hardware device with seperate software that effecitvely operates as if you were sitting in front of the TV at home with the remote. So what you see on screen [software] is what is on the TV screen if that makes sense. Because it is seperate, you have a seperate power, network cable and a/v cable to deal with and it uses an IR transmitter cable to give you IR remote control capability.

The last annoyance is they are not interoperable! If you have a slingbox, you must use the full slingplayer app, the Dish app will not work and vice versa, if you have a slingadapter, you must use the dish app as the singplayer app wont work. To me that is the stupiest thing they did but I digress....

The cost is also an issue: The slingadapter is $50 period. I currently have the Slingbox Solo (formerly had a Slingbox pro (2007-2012) before it died after 5 years of use that I gave $199 for and the original slingbox (2005-2006) before that that was $149). I paid $99 on sale for the current Slingbox Solo and then about $30 for the Slingplayer app way back when on blackberry and then $15 for the current iphone app.

As far as preference, I no longer have a slingadapter if that tells you anything :) Overall, I got tired of the Dish App/Dish Online site disconnecting from my receivers and lost all tolerance for messing with it. With the Slingbox/Slingplayer, when I start it up, it connects and it's always stable.

Oh and contrary to what someone said earlier, if you connect the component inputs to the Slingbox - HBO will still work as the HDCP checking is only enabled for the HDMI connection. I have my Hopper connected directly to the TV using HDMI and the component cables from the hopper plugging into my Slingbox.

Last edited:
I had two sling pro hd boxes and both burnt up in less than 3 months. I gave up on it and use just the sling with DISH now. But to be honest I rarely use even it now that I have the hopper. I don't use sling much at all now.

I have the Sling adapter. And a Slingbox HD Solo. Adapter was free from Dish. Solo was around 75.00 Ebay. Both work . Picture and ease of use is far better with the Solo in my testing. I also use the last sling program that was allowed to be downloaded from the Slingbox site. Now it's some kind of take on Dish remote access. If anybody wants it PM me and I can try to email it. It is SlingPlayer 2.0.4-setup 68MB

Just checked, and I have the installer for Slingplayer 1.5.1.338, Slingplayer 2.0.3508, and Slingplayer 2.0.4522.

I have an older slingbox as well as a Hava box (now Monsoon Vulkano), both of which I no longer use. I also have a 2 Hoppers and a sling adapter on one of them, I must say the reliability of the sling adapter did have me contemplating going to a Monsoon Vulkano. But the reliability of the sling adapter has improved immensely in the past few months. In my opinion the adapter does have some pluses over the full slingbox/Vulkano.

- The cost, even at the current cost of $50 the adapter is far less expensive then the cheapest Slingbox or Vulkano.
- The cost, the apps are free for the adapter.
- The adapter allows the box (in my case a Hopper), to be fully functional. When using the slingbox you are taking full control of that TV, yet with the adapter I can watch recorded content or use one of the tuners without taking over the Hopper and rendering useless to someone at home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)