Dish Network still sending out 722s??

What does it mean by Ota? I get all local channels without any separate antenna.

An over-the-air tuner is an additional tuner to the two satellite tuners. It allows the receiver to pick up channels off of an antenna. These channels would be in addition to the locals you already receiver from satellite. This allows you to pick up sub channels that are only broadcast over-the-air and since it's connected to your receiver you can also record them.

By having this module you would have two satellite tuners and two OTA tuners for a total of four tuners to record shows.

So, if it turns out to be a 722 (Not K) I can hookup a ota antenna I have to the receiver to get more ota channels?

So, if it turns out to be a 722 (Not K) I can hookup a ota antenna I have to the receiver to get more ota channels?
Yes, but you will only have one OTA tuner and it would only be accessible at TV1 (in dual mode).

If you get the 722K it will not come with the OTA tuner module and you would have to purchase it separately ($35? $40?). That would give you 2 OTA tuners and both would be accessible from TV2 in dual mode.

Reactions: old corps
Yes, but you will only have one OTA tuner and it would only be accessible at TV1 (in dual mode).

If you get the 722K it will not come with the OTA tuner module and you would have to purchase it separately ($35? $40?). That would give you 2 OTA tuners and both would be accessible from TV2 in dual mode.

+1!

Yep, and if you get lucky like I did Dish may send you the module for free.

Ed

I have a question about equipment before I contact Dish for an install. I pretty much know I want ViP 612 for my living room and a ViP 211k (or 211z) for my son's room. Can I request these specific receivers when I can to set up my installation?

I have a question about equipment before I contact Dish for an install. I pretty much know I want ViP 612 for my living room and a ViP 211k (or 211z) for my son's room. Can I request these specific receivers when I can to set up my installation?
At the same monthly costs, you can have a 722 in single mode which (I believe) would give you double the hard drive space for recordings. Unless there is some feature on the 612 that you are interested in that isn't on the 722 that I'm not aware of.

At the same monthly costs, you can have a 722 in single mode which (I believe) would give you double the hard drive space for recordings. Unless there is some feature on the 612 that you are interested in that isn't on the 722 that I'm not aware of.
Does the 722 have dual tuners in single mode? I like the 612 because of it's dual tuners even though it only supports one HD TV.

Because the 722 would be the only true DVR on the account it would indeed cost the same as a 612, which is nothing for either. With the 612 you would have OTA for sure because it is built in, and a 329GB hard drive, and of course with the 722K you have the option of a second tuner output in SD and a 500GB hard drive.

TV2 will indeed watch OTA, but indirectly. Simply start recording that OTA channel on TV1. Then from TV2, start watching the DVR'd OTA program. Easier than it sounds. I did it.

Just a few seconds delay.

Reactions: Tampa8
I'd be pissed if they sent me a 722 NON-K to replace my K model. I've got the OTA module to receive/record 2 OTA's as well as get OTA on tuner 2.

Ed
A few years ago, I spoke with an elevated CSR (Executive Offices or whatever the name is today) and such an issue like your came up, and he said that if a customer CURRENTLY has a 722K--AND makes the point that they have invested in an OTA module and expect a 722K like they currently have (because if you aren't using the OTA feature, it seems Dish feels free to just send out the RMA on whatever they have 722 or K, that is the ONLY instance in which they can guarantee a 722K replacement as part of RMA, but you have to CURRENTLY have a 722K. However, if a customer currently has a 722, Dish may replace it with either a 722 or 722K. If one currently has a 722, he had no way of (in the system) of guaranteeing/forcing a 722K if that customer wanted that instead of the 722. I think he said a customer can do a Dish n' it up upgrade from 722 to a 722K and get the 722K status, as it were, but that would cost money, of course, the only way to guarantee a 722K to replace a 722, at least that was the case a few years ago.

Bottom line sounds like unless a customer CURRENTLY has a 722K, Dish views the 722 and 722K's as interchangeable for RMA's. It sounds like Dish wants/needs to send out WHATEVER they have when the RMA is approved, or at least it is EASIER for Dish that way, UNLESS the customer has a 722K already and it helps to inform Dish that you have paid for the module and expect to use it. Then in that case, Dish seems to go to the trouble of guaranteeing a 722K for the RMA. Make sense? I hope so.

I'll ad in my case some years ago, when I needed one of my 722K's replaced, I specifically pointed out to the CSR that I've invested in the OTA dual tuner module and use the OTA feature and that I EXPECT a 722K, not a 722, and the CSR said something like, "Oh, yes. We will send a 722K". She made it clear it would be a 722K, and they understood. True to their word, I got a 722K, and then I installed my OTA module and off to the races. It was a very pleasant experience. It was a 722K I owned, to boot.

OP, if you get sent a 722, I would contact DIRT here and point out that you have spent money on the OTA module (I hope you removed it before sending the box in) and that you expect to get a 722K just like you had and NOT a 722. DIRT can probably resolve that for you. Let us know what happens.

Reactions: old corps
Annnndd they send me a 722....

VSuh68S.png

Unless you live within 30-40 miles of your local station broadcast towers, you won't get much if anything OTA. Aside from OTA, 722 and 722k are effectively identical. IMO 1 vs 2 OTA tuners isn't a big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)