Dish Network Sues Kodi Add-On Library “TV Addons

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Like so many things, the product is legal but it can be used for illegal purposes. Don't compare Amazon selling products with KODI to matches. Matches are used for many reasons while the products using KODI are sold for one reason, to stream for free. From what I understand, all of the streaming originates outside the United States. Good luck Dish.

Amazon does not sell anything with Kodi on it. They make and sell a product like many others available. That allows you to side load apps and programs. Pay 39.99 for the fire stick. Get any and all instructions from Utube. And your done. I am surprised it has gone on this long. I saw a guy selling green boxes at the Statefair last year for 399.00. Called Ultimate TV. What a rip off. Was just Kodi on them. lol..Had a booth, letter head the whole shot. You would think that would be illegal? Until there is a court order for internet providers to take action. It's open season. Technology is always ahead of the rule of law. It will catch up. Then there will be a new thing. JMO Peace

I've been around a long time and well remember the fiasco of Napster And this seems eerily similar. When you start looking at copyright laws in the United States you really open a convoluted can of worms. I just read an article written by a retired Copyright lawyer. He places the majority of the catalyst behind this law suit on the individuals putting the apps on a convenient box and making it available to the public. However he reserves the true blame on companies like Amazon who make huge profits with products like Fire Stick and Fire TV and they know exactly what their products are being modified for. His final point was for us to ask two questions? Why did Dish not go after Amazon? Why Dish is face behind this lawsuit instead of the biggest financial losers like Sony, ESPN, Disney, ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, HBO, CINEMAX, SHowtime, STARZ etc? We're talking major movies and live sports broadcasting here not just TV shows. His answer, it would be like a flea going after an elephant. It's easier to intimidate the little guy who really can't afford to fight the good fight. Choose the most vulnerable target.

Last edited:
I've been around a long time and well remember the fiasco of Napster And this seems eerily similar. When you start looking at copyright laws in the United States you really open a convoluted can of worms. I just read an article written by a retired Copyright lawyer. He places the majority of the catalyst behind this law suit on the individuals putting the apps on a convenient box and making it available to the public. However he reserves the true blame on companies like Amazon who make huge profits with products like Fire Stick and Fire TV and they know exactly what their products are being modified for. His final point was for us to ask two questions? Why did Dish not go after Amazon? Why Dish is face behind this lawsuit instead of the biggest financial losers like Sony, ESPN, Disney, ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, HBO, CINEMAX, SHowtime, STARZ etc? We're talking major movies and live sports broadcasting here not just TV shows. His answer, it would be like a flea going after an elephant. It's easier to intimidate the little guy who really can't afford to fight the good fight. Choose the most vulnerable target.

Why would they go after Amazon for a producing a digital media player? That's all it is. Just like a Roku, Apple TV, or a Chromecast they can all have Kodi installed very easily. The same with any TV running on an Android OS. Dish is gonna sue Google for allowing a TV manufacturer to run their OS on it? I think not.

Reactions: . Raine and Tampa8

Total nonsense by the "copyright lawyer." Android Smartphones run Kodi, so lets blame Android, and and all Android Cell Phone makers too, along with Amazon, Roku, Chrome, wherever KODI legally can be used. Lets blame everyone but not the people who illegally obtain and distribute the material and/or those who use it. Backwards....

Reactions: eddie willers
Reasonable price is the key. Reasonable to who? How is it that a movie still in the theater can be be streamed in 1080p quality to your android device, for free? The technology is way beyond me but how is this material obtained in the first place? Why can so many people get it? Why would they stream it for free? I certainly understand why so many groups would be hurt financially and the ripple effect would be far reaching but if it's this easy for this to happen how can you tell people not to use it? Moral conscience? People stopped using Napster for one reason, it was taken down. Not because the people felt that it was morally objectionable.

So lets see. Since 2010 the number of movie tickets sold has gone from 1.34B to 1.32B while income has gone from $10.6B to $11.4. How did the income up while selling fewer tickets? Of course, tickets prices rose almost a $1.00 per ticket and we are not counting in the increases at the concession. Maybe the problem (if there really is one) are the raising cost of just going to the movies or the lack of quality movies available.

Most likely the pay TV providers will lose over 1 million subscribers this quarter. I would hazard to guess that a very very small percentage are using Kodi or "free" services.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Maybe the problem (if there really is one) are the raising cost of just going to the movies or the lack of quality movies available.
Well, obviously, no one is making people go see movies in the theaters that "lack quality". Enough people feel that the movies are worth the price of admission.

And I wonder how much of the drop in ticket sales is due to the trend of cinemas to offer reserve seating? The Cinemark Movies chain in our area removed the stadium seating and installed recliners. Instead of 180 seats for a show they can fit just 85 patrons. And they charge a premium for it, too. (The seats are very nice, I must say!) Plus, they've added a Starbucks, Edy's Ice Cream, and Adult beverages to the menu.

With the Frog IPTV box that keeps on popping up in Tabooli Ads, is that the same stuff that Kodi boxes are side-loading? The cable channels must originate from somewhere; is it possible that Dish is suing because the "TV Add-ons" people are taking Dish's signal and streaming it?

Well, obviously, no one is making people go see movies in the theaters that "lack quality". Enough people feel that the movies are worth the price of admission.

And I wonder how much of the drop in ticket sales is due to the trend of cinemas to offer reserve seating? The Cinemark Movies chain in our area removed the stadium seating and installed recliners. Instead of 180 seats for a show they can fit just 85 patrons. And they charge a premium for it, too. (The seats are very nice, I must say!) Plus, they've added a Starbucks, Edy's Ice Cream, and Adult beverages to the menu.

With the Frog IPTV box that keeps on popping up in Tabooli Ads, is that the same stuff that Kodi boxes are side-loading? The cable channels must originate from somewhere; is it possible that Dish is suing because the "TV Add-ons" people are taking Dish's signal and streaming it?

I've went to the IMAX theaters twice, never again, the seats are nice, but way too expensive, just not justifiable, if I need to go to the movies with my gf I just take advantage of the AT&T Movie Tuesdays deal, where you get 2 tickets for the price of one, I use to take advantage of the Visa Signature 2 for 1 ticket through chase for few years, now that ATT has this option it makes things super easy and cheap too.
One thing I don't do anymore is buy food at movie tickets, we usually have dinner before we go, maybe grab two sodas, she will have them in her purse and we good to go.
I don't do pop corns anymore, not good for my stomach :p

Sodas in a purse! Messy!

;)

I rarely go to theaters anymore, but I might try one with great seats and delivery of beer. Regular theaters- stopped buying concessions long ago. Hate to deprive them of revenue, but they've gone way overboard on pricing.

Besides- I have a better sound system at home than most theaters I've been in, in the last TWENTY years.

Reactions: KE4EST
I went to see The Mummy today. As I'm cheap I usually go on Tuesdays. Cinemark $5 Tuesday's. Really good deal today as it was actually $3.50. They had a special going for a bunch of church and school groups that were there today.

Reactions: TheKrell
So just think if the studios offered to stream those movies for $5 or less and didn't make you wait 6 months after release. Wonder how many takers they would have for that and how much that would cut into the so called Kodi problem?

Maybe Orange is the New Black will give some hint. The full season was leaked on-line a month or so ago because Netflix refused to pay the leakers. Last year 6.7 million viewed the first episode within the first few days it was available from Netflix. It will be interesting to see if those numbers drop significantly because of the leaked episodes.

So just think if the studios offered to stream those movies for $5 or less and didn't make you wait 6 months after release. Wonder how many takers they would have for that and how much that would cut into the so called Kodi problem?

Maybe Orange is the New Black will give some hint. The full season was leaked on-line a month or so ago because Netflix refused to pay the leakers. Last year 6.7 million viewed the first episode within the first few days it was available from Netflix. It will be interesting to see if those numbers drop significantly because of the leaked episodes.

An extreme tiny amount of people actually have Kodi even with the advent of the loaded boxes, and a small amount of that small amount would stick with going from broken link to broken link, freezing link to freezing link, till they find one that works well or acceptably well. And probably some small percentage searched wherever and found the leaked episodes. Someone might do that for things they otherwise would not care about but if it is a series you really want to watch Kodi isn't the ideal way. Beyond that for your specific example, how much less expensive could it be to watch Orange. Pay one time between $8 to $10 and watch the whole series and whatever else don't even need to subscribe for months at a time.

I don't think the actual number of people using Kodi was the problem, if it becomes ok to stream copyright protected material then at some point it will get it better and used more and that's the problem.

Amazon does not sell anything with Kodi on it. They make and sell a product like many others available.

Amazon may not manufacture anything that has Kodi on it, but Amazon.com has many boxes for sale that have Kodi pre-loaded. I bought one last fall, and I just did a search on Amazon and found several boxes with Kodi offered for sale today. That said, I'm no fan of piracy. (I'm a former small-time record producer so my box is not used for Kodi.) These boxes all run on Android--just like an Android cell phone, so they can run lots of apps beside Kodi. To be honest, I find Dish and its DVR to be so much more elegant and easy to use that even after trying Sling TV, Playstation VUE, and DirecTV Now, I'm sticking with my (very economical) Dish Wally with its FREE DVR, an outboard OTA tuner, and almost the identical interface to the Hopper 3. I'm currently paying $35 for the Flex Pack with auto-pay which includes free DVR and free OTA broadcast locals. Why bother with Kodi to break a commandment and steal TV? For me, Kodi's just not worth it.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts