Dish Network, the king of fees?

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
I was recently looking at Directv pricing, and to get the base package, it'd be $56 a month, then $13 to get the sports package.

Then $20 to get an HD DVR. $20 a month?! :eek: And people complain about Dish?!

So then the title is misleading. Maybe it should say D*TV king of Fees.
But a few might not like that title. :eek:

I was recently looking at Directv pricing, and to get the base package, it'd be $56 a month, then $13 to get the sports package.

That's for a WHDVR (with 5 tuners) though and HD programing. Add that fee plus one extra stb and the fee is $26. 1H & 1J is $17, add the HD fee and it's $27. Of course you can get HD programming for free from both companies.

It was the price cited for the HD DVR and Whole Home Theater.

so you didnt read how it works huh?
$8 DVR fee
$3 WHDVR fee
$10 HD fee

now take off the $1 dvr credit and $10 HD credit and you get

tada.....$10 :)

so you didnt read how it works huh?
$8 DVR fee
$3 WHDVR fee
$10 HD fee

now take off the $1 dvr credit and $10 HD credit and you get

tada.....$10 :)
It showed the HD DVR, not whole home, at $20 a month with a $10 credit for 24 months. So after two years, it'll be $20 a month.

but its not...the 1st receiver is free. Its for the extra things

You'll receive a total monthly bill credit of $39 in your first year and $20 in your second year. Savings include a $29 monthly package credit in your 1st year and a $10 monthly package credit in your 2nd year—plus a $10 monthly credit on Advanced Receiver Service for 2 years if you get an HD DVR receiver and sign up for Auto Bill Pay. Redeem your rebates by visiting directv.com/rebates. If you redeem prior to your installation, your rebate credits will begin with your first bill. Rebates submitted online after installation will take 6-8 weeks. Rebates must be submitted within 90 days of the start of your service

at least Directv doesnt charge for WHDVR fee if you have one receiver ;)

Alright... there is a $20 fee. It isn't for the Receiver... but it is a $20 fee!

Yes, advance receiver services is $20 which include the DVR and HD, but you do get a $10 credit when getting auto-pay.

Generally speaking, Directv is a few dollars more on the base programming packages, but you make that up with the fact the additional receivers are only $6 instead of all of DISH Networks receiver fees that range from $7-$17 depending on the receiver.

I like the fact on Directv I can have (6) HR24's on my account and only pay $6 for each one, compaired to $10 for a 612 and $17 for a 722

Yes, advance receiver services is $20 which include the DVR and HD, but you do get a $10 credit when getting auto-pay.

Generally speaking, Directv is a few dollars more on the base programming packages, but you make that up with the fact the additional receivers are only $6 instead of all of DISH Networks receiver fees that range from $7-$17 depending on the receiver.

I like the fact on Directv I can have (6) HR24's on my account and only pay $6 for each one, compaired to $10 for a 612 and $17 for a 722
With that being the case, clearly Directv becomes very competitive with the larger households and people with 3+ receivers. But for a prole like me, with just one box wired to three tvs, Directv is pretty much fee'ing me away from them.

With that being the case, clearly Directv becomes very competitive with the larger households and people with 3+ receivers. But for a prole like me, with just one box wired to three tvs, Directv is pretty much fee'ing me away from them.
I have the same setup and I couldn't agree more.

Yep. During the AMC fiasco, we priced a system comparable to ours (722 + 211k-dvr).

DTV (2 HD-DVR + 1 HD Receiver) for the base entertainment package, it would be about the same price we are paying now for dish- for the first 3 months. Then it would almost DOUBLE, then be well over $100 after the first year, and go crazy after 2 years.

receiver fees:
Advanced Receiver Fee = $20 ($10 off for 24 months)
Primary = $6
Additional (2 receivers) = $12.

So after 24 months, it would be $38/mo just in receiver fees.

Yep. During the AMC fiasco, we priced a system comparable to ours (722 + 211k-dvr).

DTV (2 HD-DVR + 1 HD Receiver) for the base entertainment package, it would be about the same price we are paying now for dish- for the first 3 months. Then it would almost DOUBLE, then be well over $100 after the first year, and go crazy after 2 years.

receiver fees:
Advanced Receiver Fee = $20 ($10 off for 24 months)
Primary = $6
Additional (2 receivers) = $12.

So after 24 months, it would be $38/mo just in receiver fees.

that doesnt sound right. Take out the "free for 3 months" movie channels and the credits you get 1st year knocks it down to like $30-$40 a month....2nd year the discounts match what Dish sells the 2nd year for.....
and do you really think in 2 years you couldnt call and get the free HD renewed again? LOts of folks already did it this year :)

and why are you counting the primary receiver? That is free

Alright... there is a $20 fee. It isn't for the Receiver... but it is a $20 fee!
I guess you didnt read what I wrote
Its for the DVR fee, WHDVR and HD......they give you a $1 credit (normally WHDVR & DVR is $11) and the $10 HD credit

In that case Dish does the SAME THING....but oh if you do auto pay and paperless they give you $10 off for HD

Of course you can get HD programming for free from both companies.
Apparently the free HD only lasts for two years with DIRECTV. The $20 fee is made up half by an HD fee and it is only credited for the first 24 months on new accounts.

It appears that, as a new subscriber, one must pay the Advanced Receiver fee (DVR + HD +Whole Home DVR Service) less the 24 month HD credit even if you have only one HD DVR.

Yespage said:

3TVs
Dish--Duo (2 TV) + 1 Solo = $7/month
DirecTV--"Solo" X 3 = $12/month

4TVs
Dish--Duo(2 TV) + 1 Solo + 1 Solo= $14/month
DirecTV--"Solo" X 4 = $18/month

(I am using non-whole home DVR receivers for the comparison. I am trying to keep it cheap or at least cheapest as possible. An HD Solo 211 can also be integrated into a DVR for a one-time $40 fee and an external hard drive without the $6/month DVR fee. I believe DirecTV has an $8/month DVR fee with a recently changed itemized name change.)

This is even before we factor base programming. For example, America's Top 120 with HD or Dish Latino Dos with HD is $44.99/month. I believe DirecTV's lowest base package is the Entertainment Package at $54.99 without HD (which would cost an additional $10/month).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)