DISH Network: Time to Stop the Retrans Mud Baths

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
If there were an Oscar this year for Most Disingenuous Comment by a TV Executive, it would surely have gone to DISH Network Executive VP Stanton Dodge. It was Dodge who in the context of DISH’s recent blackout of Hearst television stations claimed that broadcasters “use in-market monopoly power to put profits ahead of the public interests they are supposed to serve.” To Mr. Dodge, we would respectfully suggest: Look in the mirror.

http://www.tvfreedom.org/uncategorized/dish-network-time-to-stop-the-retrans-mud-baths/

How many times does it need to be said? Dish should pass whatever cost incurred for retransmitting locals directly on to the subscriber which would give them three options: Put of an antenna, pay the required fee, or opt out. Retransmission disputes with these OTA broadcasters would end literally overnight, and If this or something substantially similar isn't done, these disputes will continue endlessly.

How many times does it need to be said? Dish should pass whatever cost incurred for retransmitting locals directly on to the subscriber which would give them three options: Put of an antenna, pay the required fee, or opt out. Retransmission disputes with these OTA broadcasters would end literally overnight, and If this or something substantially similar isn't done, these disputes will continue endlessly.

they have a $10 local fee now,

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Let me guess the author of this article represents the tv industry

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
Right on their homepage:

TVFreedom.org is a coalition of local broadcasters, community advocates, network television affiliate associations, multicast networks, manufacturers and other independent broadcaster-related organizations. We believe that all pay-TV service providers should be held accountable for stifling innovation and repeatedly using their own customers as bargaining chips while increasing their record profits. In a fair and free market, broadcast TV programming is accessible, valued and fairly compensated as part of retransmission consent agreements.

All i am doing is reporting the news you guys i just thought that you guys would want to read this article.

I think that this conveys the author's viewpoint since Hearst pulled the signals not Dish.
I've posted or asked a question on local TV station's FB pages during a dispute and it was, "is Dish allowed to broadcast your channel when there's no contract in effect?" after they spew endlessly that "Dish dropped our channel, Dish did it, call Dish and complain". None have responded to that question yet....

I've posted or asked a question on local TV station's FB pages during a dispute and it was, "is Dish allowed to broadcast your channel when there's no contract in effect?" after they spew endlessly that "Dish dropped our channel, Dish did it, call Dish and complain". None have responded to that question yet....

Shocking.

Good idea but the truth is Dish is making a $$#&~load of money retransmitting locals so they won't.

This.

Just like MLB baseball.......Millionaire players fighting billionaire owners......who pays.......Just us.....Congress made this mess only Congress can fix it!......And guess what?....They could give a rats ass about any of us......But many have been duped to think likewise ...LOL, riiiiiiight!

I believe whenever it is settled the time frame will not change for the NEXT shutdown. Dish and DTV needs to hold out until SUMMER then make that the NEW shut down date for this BS. Who would care if LOCAL were off for a couple months.

Good idea but the truth is Dish is making a $$#&~load of money retransmitting locals so they won't.
It's hard to say but I'm sure in some markets they make a nice margin, others they may lose a little, and some they may break even. What they could do, and be transparent as possible about it, is something like this (using my market as the example and just made up numbers!):

AT120 = $64.99
ABC ($1.59 + 25%) = $1.99
CBS ($2.05 + 25%) = $2.56
FOX ($1.64 + 25%) = $2.05
NBC ($1.75 + 25%) = $2.19

Problem is, there's no consistent pricing and that alone could be a deal-breaker for Dish to implement it. Customers or potential customers could walk away because "their locals are too high", hence why Dish currently, and has always, charged the same for all markets.

The 25% adder, you ask ? Dish, without question, incurs costs for transmitting the local channels and should be compensated for that. Use the argument, "but the locals are broadcast for free" ? Fine, put up an antenna. Queue the "but I don't want to spend money buying an antenna and paying someone to install it", "I can't pick up locals where I am", "I'm not allowed to put up an antenna" excuses.... Dish is providing a service by getting the local channels to you - so pay for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)