Dish Network to Carry 80 Channel Racetrack Network

For the Record I have no Issues with Gambling at all.
Just do it in the supplyed location. AC,Vegas and all the Other betting tracks around the country. Just keep it off my TV service.

"Keep it off my tv service"..So is it your notion that ANY tv service you do not watch be kicked out the channel lineup?
That is ridiculous.
Adding these services has no personal bearing on you. But is appears you have taken this personally.
Why?
No one has stated, indicated or implied you'd be deprived of anything you want.
So why the consternation?
And why are your desires more improtant than those of someone else? Do you consider yourself "more equal"?

"
And why are your desires more improtant than those of someone else? Do you consider yourself "more equal"?
When it comes gambling on Dishnetwork Yes. My desires are more important then yours, Not anyone else. Thank you!:p
If E* wants to add,
International ,Music, PPV,Locals, Sports,HD,SD, Shopping, or a channel that looks at the earth 24/7. I don't care !
But 80 gambing channels are just plain dumb!

When it comes gambling on Dishnetwork Yes. My desires are more important then yours, Not anyone else. Thank you!:p
If E* wants to add,
International ,Music, PPV,Locals, Sports,HD,SD, Shopping, or a channel that looks at the earth 24/7. I don't care !
But 80 gambing channels are just plain dumb!
First,I have no desire to pay 50 bucks a month for this service.
My goal was to find out what people thought.
Obvioulsy you have a certain arrogance that makes you think you are more important than someone else.
This was not the intended purpose my query. But you are to be congratulated on your honesty.
What I see here from you is "Screw everyone else. I want what I want"..Ok fine.
Good luck trying to start a one man crusade vs Dish's decision to move forward with the HRTV/satellite service.
As prviously mentioned, if you are so suspsicious and so angry, take the plunge and go over to another provider. It is what it is.
You have suspicions that you are convinced Dish is going to add the horse racing service and deprive you of the Kung Fu channel. That's nuts.

We'll employment Tax, State income Tax,Yes all the locals taxes like school and property taxes.
If all thats Local, Then where is all this gambling money going too then?
I have no idea what you state govet is doing wiht all that dough.
Stop electing tax and spend liberals and you may see a change.
Stick with the blue party and continue to have your pants pulled down.
Or ,move to a lower tax state.
Go no further. I'm not discussing politics here.

You have suspicions that you are convinced Dish is going to add the horse racing service and deprive you of the Kung Fu channel. That's nuts.
No!! I'm convince if E* doesn't stop doing dumb things the subcriberlist is going to drop further and further.
So this is the best tact? Add a $50 a month service?
Them adding 80 channel of nonsence could limit our chances of MLB making a return, NFL Suday Ticket in the future, Plenty of other HD feeds Like National channels ,RSN's Fulltime,.
Your like the only one that thinks adding 80 channels doesn't take up space, What do we have to lose this time to provide this?
again Put them on the 105,121.

I have no idea what you state govet is doing wiht all that dough.
Stop electing tax and spend liberals and you may see a change.
Stick with the blue party and continue to have your pants pulled down.
Or ,move to a lower tax state.
Go no further. I'm not discussing politics here.
Stop Electing, As if anyone has much of a choice on who you can elect. This is the real world pal. Yea I'll move. You really haven't a clue do you.

No!! I'm convince if E* doesn't stop doing dumb things the subcriberlist is going to drop further and further.
So this is the best tact? Add a $50 a month service?
Them adding 80 channel of nonsence could limit our chances of MLB making a return, NFL Suday Ticket in the future, Plenty of other HD feeds Like National channels ,RSN's Fulltime,.
Your like the only one that thinks adding 80 channels doesn't take up space, What do we have to lose this time to provide this?
again Put them on the 105,121.

And what convinces you of this? What are you going to lose?
I never stated that the horse racing service will not take up space.
You're not thinking this thorugh. You are emoting.You've convinced yourself that your desires are not goingot be fulfilled by Dish because ofg this deal. What makes you coem to that conclusion. You've offered no evidence. Have you been infiltrating meetings?
You have no evidence that Dish is going to eschew new HD services in lieu of the new HRTV deal, do you? Just a suspicion on your part.
What do you care if Dish loses subs? As hard as your fighting (with great futility I might add) you have choices. If other providers are offering what you want, switch providers. It's that simple.
Look, you have answered the queston already. You believe your desires to be more improtant than those of others and you are more equal than other Dish subs.
The rest of this is moot.

Less subs, Means Higher costs.
Hemi 6.1 doesn't want to be the only E* subscriber.
Its fact , a growing business lasts.
A fading one DIES.
It's a little more complicated than that. Yes, DirecTV is adding subs and Dish is losing a few.

DirecTV's success is largely due to successful advertising campaigns coupled with locking up NFL Sunday Ticket and paying the premium to carry MLB Extra Innings. The subscriber gains come at a cost though. Direct made $201 million on $4.90 billion in revenue, while Dish made $313 million on $2.91 billion in revenue.

Even with fewer subs, Dish is making more money because they are spending more time negotiating better deals (sometimes resulting in channel takedowns), and aren't committing to the ultra-expensive MLB and NFL packages.

Thge operative is "Sell".. Look we all know that HD enthusiasts expect HD options to be provided free or at a very small cost.
That's a fact.
Let's take your number (49, which I believe to be high by quite a bit. Based on one HD ch taking the same bandwidth as 5 or 6 SD Channels, research to follow), do you think Dish would simply "give away" 49 channels of HD service without extracting more coin from those who want them? I think not.
However, Dish IS going to charge 50 bucks a month for the service in question. That's guaranteed revenue for Dish.
Now let's say dish charges 50 cents per new HD channel adding 25 bucks per month to each HD sub that wants those channels. In my experience the uproar from HD enthusiasts would be something Dish would not want to hear. Especially in light of the fact that the additional channels are of the niche variety.
Using that logic (one niche group vs another) which service would you add as a business owner, one that generates instant revenue or one that generates none at all?
I think at the end of the day Dish will NOT jeopardize their future expansion of HD offerings. So I am not understanding the alarm from HD enthusiasts.
It is as though the HD people have assumed that their HD programing desires will be dealyed to accomodate the Horse Racing service.
I don;t think so.
Now Wiht that said, how do you justify one niche group to be more than Improtant than another. Answer that question objectively. In other words forget your desire to see more HD.
One last thing.
I think this whole hullaballoo over HD for free is nonsense. If you want more stuff you should be willing to pay for it.

PS......In checking the figures on how much space HD vs SD ,it appears that some sources convey one HD channel takes up an equivalent space of 4 SD channels.
So while 7 Tp's (as you say) would be required to x-mit 80 channels that equals just 20 or so HD chs. That's based on mpeg 4 compression figures.. It is my understanding that up to 12 SD channels can be transmitted by one TP so your 7 TP estimate is pretty close. While 4 HD chs in mpeg 4 can be on one TP. That's with quite a bit of degredation to the HD quality. A major bone of contention among those who rightfully(IMO) demand their HD quality be untouched by compression(HD lite).
Anyway who knows the plans Dish has to offer.

Dish runs about 11-12 SD channels on a single TP (main DBS satellites) or 7 HD channels. When Dish uses a TP for HD they use a different transmission format that HD receivers have the hardware to decode which results in about 30% more bits in the transponder bandwidth. SD is in MPEG-2, HD is MPEG-4 also much more efficient. The result is that it is working out to about 7 HD channels or 11-12 SD channels/TP.

You are makeing the false assertion that people sub because of one channel. Dish/DIRECTV/Cable offer HD for "free" because that is what the main stream customer is starting to expect. Yes HD may only be 20% of the total subs at this time, it is a growing segment. These are main stream customers numbering in the millions. Dish either offers all the popular channels in HD for "free" (i.e. not upping the HD charge because of more channels) or will lose millions of customers to other providers.

Horse racing may be popular with many thousands of people that might be willing to fork over $50-$100/month to see it in 80 channels. More likely it is casionos, sports bars, etc doing the bulk of the purchasing of these (I am sure commercial venues pay a lot more than an individual sub would pay). That also being said, how much of the $$ is Dish actually getting?

Dish runs about 11-12 SD channels on a single TP (main DBS satellites) or 7 HD channels. When Dish uses a TP for HD they use a different transmission format that HD receivers have the hardware to decode which results in about 30% more bits in the transponder bandwidth. SD is in MPEG-2, HD is MPEG-4 also much more efficient. The result is that it is working out to about 7 HD channels or 11-12 SD channels/TP.

You are makeing the false assertion that people sub because of one channel. Dish/DIRECTV/Cable offer HD for "free" because that is what the main stream customer is starting to expect. Yes HD may only be 20% of the total subs at this time, it is a growing segment. These are main stream customers numbering in the millions. Dish either offers all the popular channels in HD for "free" (i.e. not upping the HD charge because of more channels) or will lose millions of customers to other providers.

Horse racing may be popular with many thousands of people that might be willing to fork over $50-$100/month to see it in 80 channels. More likely it is casionos, sports bars, etc doing the bulk of the purchasing of these (I am sure commercial venues pay a lot more than an individual sub would pay). That also being said, how much of the $$ is Dish actually getting?
can you supply the links to that data. Mine were bits and pieces of different links.
Anyway, The bottom line is you're correct people DO indeed expect HD for free. So that helps make my point.
However as I previously stated I do not believe Dish is going to bump potential space they need for HD additons to supply 80 chs of racing feeds.
The other poster seemd to be nonplussed by the mere metnion that Dish had the nerve to offer another service before offerring such HD channels as Gallery, Monsters HD and Kung Fu HD.
I for one do not miss these seldom watched niche channels. That to me is gobbling up precious TP sapce.

I am a propenent of a la carte. No one is going to convince me that a la acrte is impossible. The C- band providers were able to successfully compete for subs before analog went the way of stone knives and bearskins.

Anyway, there is not enough of it all to accomodate everyone's desires.
Dish is moving forward with their plans and that's that.

can you supply the links to that data. Mine were bits and pieces of different links.
Anyway, The bottom line is you're correct people DO indeed expect HD for free. So that helps make my point.
However as I previously stated I do not believe Dish is going to bump potential space they need for HD additons to supply 80 chs of racing feeds.
The other poster seemd to be nonplussed by the mere metnion that Dish had the nerve to offer another service before offerring such HD channels as Gallery, Monsters HD and Kung Fu HD.
I for one do not miss these seldom watched niche channels. That to me is gobbling up precious TP sapce.

I am a propenent of a la carte. No one is going to convince me that a la acrte is impossible. The C- band providers were able to successfully compete for subs before analog went the way of stone knives and bearskins.

Anyway, there is not enough of it all to accomodate everyone's desires.
Dish is moving forward with their plans and that's that.

Check out SatelliteGuys.US - TheList at the top of every page. Pick subscription home list then satellite (like 61.5w) then click on transponder to sort by transponder. The hard part is finding a TP with just SD and not a mix of SD and Audio or other odd things. Also you can see the HD MPEG-4 HD, and see they go from 6-8/TP.

Dish has plenty of space for this, I do not think it will go on the main DBS satellites 61.5/72.5/77 or 110/119/129. But they could put them on 118.7 which is mainly used for internationals now and they would have a single dish solution. The 1000+ Dish does 110/118.7/119/129. 118.7 should have space clearing up as they move the HD LiL off of it to 129 spot beam.

I just do not see them taking down main stream programming and replacing it with this. I do not see them filling up the remaining space on the main stream satellites to put this up either.

Dish has a ton of capacity that they use for misc things, in fact they have stated it is a business they are expanding.

Check out SatelliteGuys.US - TheList at the top of every page. Pick subscription home list then satellite (like 61.5w) then click on transponder to sort by transponder. The hard part is finding a TP with just SD and not a mix of SD and Audio or other odd things. Also you can see the HD MPEG-4 HD, and see they go from 6-8/TP.

Dish has plenty of space for this, I do not think it will go on the main DBS satellites 61.5/72.5/77 or 110/119/129. But they could put them on 118.7 which is mainly used for internationals now and they would have a single dish solution. The 1000+ Dish does 110/118.7/119/129. 118.7 should have space clearing up as they move the HD LiL off of it to 129 spot beam.

I just do not see them taking down main stream programming and replacing it with this. I do not see them filling up the remaining space on the main stream satellites to put this up either.

Dish has a ton of capacity that they use for misc things, in fact they have stated it is a business they are expanding.
Ahh, a voice of reason.
Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)