Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Network has filed with the FCC to operate a nationwide LTE service.

Below is their letter to the FCC of the letter DISH sent the FCC seeking permission to start their LTE offering.

Attachments

• 11-149 10-27-2011 DISH Network Corporation; Gamma Acquisition L.L.C.; TerreStar Networks Inc., D.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 622
The more competition the better. Years ago we all used to get raped by the phone company...remember those $80 - $100 phone bills? Well, I haven't paid more than $9 a month to make all the landline phone calls I digits can dial over the past 10-years. Unfortunately, we're now getting raped by the Internet and Mobile Wireless providers: $60 for broadband Internet; $120 for two mobile phones, etc. I want that $9 mobile phone and $9 wireless Internet connection.

Is the idea that Dish would become a full-service cell phone provider selling phones and monthly plans? Or would they be using the LTE bandwidth exclusively for a home Internet service that they hope to package with their television service?

I think they would be doing BOTH.

Imagine NO BANDWIDTH CAP for download Blockbuster VOD movies... but only for DISH Network customers.

Imagine NO BANDWIDTH CAP for download Blockbuster VOD movies...
But... But... I already have no cap on my Cox broadband service. So are you talking about people who watch so many movies on their cell phone that they exceed their mobile caps? This seems crazy to me. I've watched the grand total of one 1hr program on my Android phone (via wifi) and the novelty wore off. Never did that again.

But... But... I already have no cap on my Cox broadband service. So are you talking about people who watch so many movies on their cell phone that they exceed their mobile caps? This seems crazy to me. I've watched the grand total of one 1hr program on my Android phone (via wifi) and the novelty wore off. Never did that again.

I'm sure that won't last long with Cox. Comcast has that 250GB download cap, and I am positive other providers will follow.

navychop said:
Can't see it on my iPhone, but this is no big surprise.

Upper right corner of you iphone screen has a right pointing flech when there are attacents. Click it to go to attachment screen and you willget the link that opens the pdf in your iphone.

I would be very interested in a bundle with unlimited data...or a family plan with a pool of data that could be shared.

Cox has caps...

Limitations of Service | Cox Communications

Cox Starts Threatening Disconnection if You Use Their Product - May be Considering Per Byte Overage Penalties | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

nelson61 said:
Upper right corner of you iphone screen has a right pointing flech when there are attacents. Click it to go to attachment screen and you willget the link that opens the pdf in your iphone.

Nope. Reply. Respond. Refresh. Cancel.

Cox only enforces it in certain areas as they have not officially implemented it nationwide, but it is one reason this will be my last month with Cox. I was going way over their 50gb cap for 3mb service with basic phone. They haven't said anything about it yet but I decided to give my only other option a try. I have been trying out Windstream (as much as I hated to) for the last month and surprisingly it is working well. With their lifetime price guarantee (apparently lifetime is until I move) I am paying the same money for 12mb service and unlimited local and long distance phone as my Cox bill is with fewer amenities. No caps with Windstream, at least at this time.

This is all part of the vision for Dish according to my Regional Operations Manager. Dish owns the 3rd largest wireless spectrum behind att and verizon. But ours is completely unused because of an fcc requirement that you must be a telephone company to use the wireless airspace. This is why dish bought liberty bell. To not only open the realm of dsl but more importantly wireless.

Dish eventually wants your whole home....tv...internet...phone to all run wireless together. Thats there vision.

This is all part of the vision for Dish according to my Regional Operations Manager. Dish owns the 3rd largest wireless spectrum behind att and verizon. But ours is completely unused because of an fcc requirement that you must be a telephone company to use the wireless airspace. This is why dish bought liberty bell. To not only open the realm of dsl but more importantly wireless.

Dish eventually wants your whole home....tv...internet...phone to all run wireless together. Thats there vision.

Now that is very very interesting.

While this is an interesting but not unexpected development, I hope they don't drop the ball on their core business (TV delivery) while they get this going and rolled out.

I will say that this is very forward thinking and given the changing landscape in this sector a very good move. Let's just hope the growing pains are minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If Dish could offer this as a home broadband internet solution, with decent speeds up/down, I would sign up for it tomorrow. Broadband is the only thing left I have to keep the local podunk cable monopoly around for...and I'd LOVE to tell them to take a hike on that too. Any speculation on what sort of up/download speeds this sort of service may offer?

Of course, knowing Dish, this isn't something that will actually be available anytime "soon"

Hmmm. I don't think wireless speeds will keep up with wired, or Fios, speeds. Or reliability. But I still think it's a great field for Dish/Echostar to enter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts