DISH Network's Charlie Ergen May Be TV's Most Hated Man

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Here's Why You Should Love Him.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...be-tvs-most-hated.aspx?source=iedfolrf0000001

Ergen's at least minding the store in a flawed market
I have a simple philosophy as it relates to businesses. There may be short-run dislocations, but in the long run, value will eventually flow to the entity that creates it. Because of the lack of a la carte programming, that's not what's happening in pay-TV now. What we're currently experiencing is a consumer shift in which many are rejecting the bloated package of the pay-TV model.

As a result, many households are trading down to smaller pay-TV packages, cord-slimming, or going without the service altogether, also known as cord-cutting. While large, persistent content price increases are good for Kardashians, professional athletes, and million-dollar pols who tell their audience what candidate they should vote for, it's bad for average families scraping to get by.

In the absence of a market in which the consumer directly chooses what to consume and pay for, Ergen is the next-best thing. The CEO's brash approach of dealing with programmers to keep content costs low benefits all DISH's subscribers and, tangentially, all pay-TV subscribers, as future programming negotiations are often based upon recently closed deals. For that, Ergen is deserving of respect from all pay-TV subscribers, even if he remains the most hated man in Hollywood.

You don't have to love him or hate him but you really should respect him for what he has accomplished and for standing up to Hollywood and the content providers.

You don't have to love him or hate him but you really should respect him for what he has accomplished and for standing up to Hollywood and the content providers.
Actually he is in no better position than the next guy, so I give him the same respect he gives me.

Tell me in detail what has he accomplished against Hollywood and the content providers that stands out?
Besides,
Pissing them off while putting his customers in the front line to save peanuts over the next guy.

Or managing to lose customers quarter after quarter while making more and more profit in the process.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

hes part of the reason i left dish
sure he stands up, and then you lose channels, and the price still goes up

Reactions: Tyralak
Meanwhile I pay quite abit less with DISH over anything else available to me for traditional tv. Hmmm trying to think what channels I have lost because DISH dropped them. Must not be many or anything we ever watched.

Well Directv is offering quite a deal right now.
Ultimate pack added to your Att account includes no additional rooms fees $75 it includes a Genie and 3 minis.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/best_offer/offer

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Meh. Define "qualifying AT&T service". I got cell service for $60 for 3 lines and Dish for $87. I bet no bundle of AT&T cellular and DIRECT would fall under $150.

hes part of the reason i left dish
sure he stands up, and then you lose channels, and the price still goes up
I can't think of many channels I've lost in the last 4 years. Some may have gone dark for a very short while, but otherwise haven't really lost anything.

Reactions: osu1991 and Tampa8
Meh. Define "qualifying AT&T service". I got cell service for $60 for 3 lines and Dish for $87. I bet no bundle of AT&T cellular and DIRECT would fall under $150.
I've never had 3 smart phones for less than $130 a month.
Not sure who your carrier is that only charges $20 a month per phone.

I have Att I pay $75 for my 7GB plan, and $45 for 3 additional lines.
With my taxes included I'm at around $135-140.

Dish my package bill is still $130 and that's Top 200 with a $27 price lock credit.
And $23 in premium channel credits.

So yes, IMO $75 for a 4 rooms of service with DVR and their Ultimate package plus Att unlimited data plan thats only $25 over my 7GB plan.
Sound pretty good to me.

So again Directv and Dish are extremely close in prices for all the negative attention Charlie brings to his company.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

So again Directv and Dish are extremely close in prices for all the negative attention Charlie brings to his company.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
this.
having had both, the difference in price for equivalent service is minimal
what savings you get from dish on a package is usually made up in fees.
heck when i switched from a 722 to 2xhr24 the fees went down

Like I said, what I have works for me. I don't need 16 tuners. I don't need unlimited data. I don't need 4 rooms of TV service. I can't get prices anywhere close to what I have now, unless I play the temporary promo game, which over the long run isn't worth it.

And if you look at the fine print in that link, the ONLY thing you get by having AT&T wireless, is by being able to keep it "price locked" for 2 years.
To get the "all included" D* pricing, you have to have either U-verse Internet &/or Voice:

SELECT™ ALL INCLUDED PACKAGE OFFER: Ends 7/13/16. New DIRECTV residential customers who bundle w/ eligible new or existing U-Verse Internet or U-verse Voice and enroll in combined billing on a single AT&T bill. All Included TV pkgs include monthly fees for programming, Advanced Receiver Service and an HD DVR + 3 add’l receivers. U-verse equipment and services avail. separately.

Am I missing something here otherwise???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)