Dish Networks HD is True HD?

Well, Dish Network should be able to increase some bandwidth to the rest of the HD channels after 1 December, after the loss of CBS in HD, both east and west.

I think it's safe to say that CBS HD is not going to go anywhere. It's not considered a distant. This subject has been discussed at length in the respective threads.

Where have you been? Dish HD has gone in the sh*tter this year. Comcast here has a lot less HD but it is real true full rez/full bandwidth HD. Watching DishHD is like watching a DVD compared to the real thing!

Same here. I just subscribed to Blueridge Digital Cable and the HD is much better then Dish. Not as many channels (no voom) but I would rather have true HD with less channels then HD lite . I may be selling my 622 soon !

BrianMis said:
I think it's safe to say that CBS HD is not going to go anywhere. It's not considered a distant. This subject has been discussed at length in the respective threads.
Sure it has. I am the one that continually states that the CBS HD feeds are in danger.

Read this article, from Multichannel.com:
CBS HD IMPACT

Separately, EchoStar has a deal that allows it to offer the high definition feed of a CBS affiliate to any household within a market that includes a CBS-owned affiliate. But the injunction would doom that in about 20 major markets.

“Among their bouquet of core HDTV services, the CBS [deal] is probably the most viewed, it’s the most important,” according to Jimmy Schaeffler, senior financial and consulting analyst with The Carmel Group, who has been involved in legal matters for and against EchoStar in the last decade. “If you lose that, then you’ve lost a core sales tool for a part of your service which you consider the most important going forward and that is the HD channel.”
Okay, so CBS in HD is still not considered a distant?

Same here. I just subscribed to Blueridge Digital Cable and the HD is much better then Dish. Not as many channels (no voom) but I would rather have true HD with less channels then HD lite . I may be selling my 622 soon !

We had D* for over 8 years when we lived outside Washington DC,after having enjoyed the high crime rate,traffic congestion,poor school system,and not wanting to learn a second language,we decided to move to the mountains.D* was unable to obtain the waivers for us to get HD locals(although it seems that they don't put much effort into it,I obtained one on my own)so we opted to get Adelphia Cable,they offer 17 HD channels includung locals in HD,but of course my hunger for more HD has me thinking that I need E* for thier 30 HD channels. After reading many post and now yours I am wondering if E* is even worth it. I had Gregg Loewen calibrate my Samsung and he not only did a fantastic job calibrating the set but also commented that the Adelphia HD feed was really good(this by a person who see's all types of service feeds).D* wants me to sign back up for a free thirty day trial with no contract but that isn't worth it as they have no new programing(have more with Adelphia now)and can't do anything with the locals. Now I have found an installer that will install E* and through a "move" will get me the DC locals. Long story made short-----is your cable feed that much better than what you were getting from E*,one of the reasons I ask is that I have read that E* is broadcasting at a bit-rate below 10mbps around 7mbps,I am getting a transfer rate according to the Adelphia stb of 19mbps and some channels 24mbps making me think that the feed from E* would be very inferior,and mediocre Thanks

Last edited:
-----is your cable feed that much better than what you were getting from E*,one of the reasons I ask is that I have read that E* is broadcasting at a bit-rate below 10mbps around 7mbps,I am getting a transfer rate according to the Adelphia stb of 19mbps and some channels 24mbps making me think that the feed from E* would be very inferior,and mediocre Thanks

My eyes think so. I forgot to add before, I now get all my locals in HD with Cable. This is a great plus !
I get my PA locals, my NYC locals , upstate NY locals and my local, local news channels . Like I said before all I don't get in HD are VOOM (which is all repeats anyway) and the Food Channel (wow) My main interest in VOOM was the Monster Channel anyway.
Oh and I almost forgot. When I call the cable company, the person I speak with is local.

Comcast in Sacramento is second to worst (there are some bay area systems with even fewer channels!) when it comes to the HDTV lineup. As of today, Comcast Sacramento has ESPN-HD, InHD1, and DiscoveryHD. All of the premiums (Sho, HBO, MAX, STARZ), plus 5 locals.

I don't sub to premiums unless there's a program I'm interested in (HBO for Sopranos mainly), so that's not a major selling point. So, 3 national HD channels, that's it. With my 622, I receive all HD locals via antenna, so those are passed through at full quality, Discovery HD and ESPN are passed through at full quality, so that leaves InHD1. So many repeats on that channel that it's not a major issue for me.

So I increase with many other, granted not full-bandwidth, channels that I can't otherwise get. The PVR from Comcast, while not terrible, is a lot worse off than the 622, so there's another plus for E*.

Once we get the RSNs and InHD1 via E*, the playing field is completely leveled, and there's no real reason to consider Comcast again.

We love the ViP622, and DishHD used to be the great. We still really like DishHD-Lite, but the crappy cable company is offering a "Ditch the Dish" offer for 12 months where we get two crummy HD DVRs, two cable cards, all the cable channels, and HBO, Showtime & Starz for less than half of our DishHD Platinum bill. I little as the cable company offers, their PQ, along with OTA, beats DishHD.

We don't have much time for TV these days, and 70% of our viewing is free OTA. I would probably continue paying E* $122.98 each month if they didn't water down so many of their HD channels. I may or may not get cable, but unless E* does something drastic it looks like I'll be ditching the dish in December.

When it comes to HD, PQ matters!

i think you all missed the intention of this advertisement....there are millions of television households who have already purchased an HDTV and continue to watch whatever they did previously(i.e. a 301 rcvr from dish w/ at60) and think that they now have HDTV. the general public is who these advertisements are aimed at...not highly intelligent individuals like those that post on here(at least most people that post here are highly intelligent when it comes to television)...the idea behind this advertising is to educate the consumers that they must have multiple links in a chain to receive HDTV...

1. HD Programming(programming that originates-shot/produced/broadcast-in one of the approved HDTV formats)
2. HD receiver(something to recieve that signal that has now been broadcast whether it be ota/cable/sat)
3. HD television(something to display the signal that has been recieved)

Long story made short-----is your cable feed that much better than what you were getting from E*,one of the reasons I ask is that I have read that E* is broadcasting at a bit-rate below 10mbps around 7mbps,I am getting a transfer rate according to the Adelphia stb of 19mbps and some channels 24mbps making me think that the feed from E* would be very inferior,and mediocre Thanks

You'll be hard pressed to find a provider running an HD channel 20+ mbps. I don't think you'll even see the C-Band uplinks to the cable co's that high.

Is the pricing cut a temporary pricing for new customers, or are they going to lower pricing for the HD packages $20/month across the board?

N.M. I see the very fine print (for 10 months).

Cheers,

...but the crappy cable company is offering a "Ditch the Dish" offer for 12 months ... for less than half of our DishHD Platinum bill.
I did the similar switch from satellite to cable for just short of two years. My promo was 50% for the 1st year, 25% for the 2nd year. When that 2nd year was coming close to an end, I called to see what my new rate would be, see what changes I could make, etc, etc. Needless to say, my options were limited ... and I'm back with Dish. TWC offers very little HD programming, including no local NBC. Price was also a large factor in leaving them.

What will your rate with them be after 12 months ??

You'll be hard pressed to find a provider running an HD channel 20+ mbps. I don't think you'll even see the C-Band uplinks to the cable co's that high.

This morning I am watching the Today show according to the SA 8300 the bit rate is 15,560,642 well above anything that E* or D* has ever broadcast

Where are you getting bitrate numbers from your 8300HD ?? I also have to question why the Today show needs a bitrate that high or more accurately, how reliable is that number ??

You must have SARA and not Passport. When I had TWC and the 8300HD box, I'm 100% positive that information wasn't visible.

The service provider is Adelphia and the box is a SA 8300 HD DVR, all SA's diagnostics can be accessed regardless of provider,Cox,TWC,etc have no say in the matter it's function that SA wants enabled.Does not matter if it is SARA or Passport software,two ways to gain access hold the Select button down till the mail flashed then press INFO,or hold the Pause button on the remote for 10-15 seconds when the mail flashes push page + and you are at the begining of the diagnostics pages

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)