Dish Networks HD is True HD?

How long did it take you to dig up a thread that is 10 years old. I think that we forget how great the new flat screen tvs are. We have gotten used to such a great picture even when in SD that we take it for granted. 4k is better, but even compressed 1080i is great. Come on guys, just enjoy such great quality and quit your bitchen.
I didn't dig it up. I googled the question and this thread came up. Quit my bitchin? Are you serious? Do you simply accept the status quo because you can't imagine anything better? I just wanted to know if Dish, whom I've been a loyal customer for over 16 years, is still broadcasting at a lower resolution then is available. Who out there doesn't want the highest quality picture they can get? I'm glad that you consider compressed 1080i great. It's not great for me. I, like most of us here, are well aware of how good the new flat panel generation of TV's are. Too bad we can't fully utilize the tremendous technology advances they provide. I bought a 4K TV for one reason, better PQ. I know all networks will probably never have 4K as a standard broadcast policy. I also know that we will probably never see 1080P generally broadcast. But a compressed 1080i signal? They only get away with that because enough people find it great. Now HD Lite, that"s not even compressed 1080i quality (usually). This thread, which ended 10 years ago, needs to be revisited. Simple question. Does Dish use a HD Lite signal. Does Directv?

Reactions: camo and Jim S.
You will NEVER see uncompressed 1080i unless you are in a studio some where because it must be compressed to broadcast the signal and that includes OTA.

I didn't dig it up. I googled the question and this thread came up. Quit my bitchin? Are you serious? Do you simply accept the status quo because you can't imagine anything better? I just wanted to know if Dish, whom I've been a loyal customer for over 16 years, is still broadcasting at a lower resolution then is available. Who out there doesn't want the highest quality picture they can get? I'm glad that you consider compressed 1080i great. It's not great for me. I, like most of us here, are well aware of how good the new flat panel generation of TV's are. Too bad we can't fully utilize the tremendous technology advances they provide. I bought a 4K TV for one reason, better PQ. I know all networks will probably never have 4K as a standard broadcast policy. I also know that we will probably never see 1080P generally broadcast. But a compressed 1080i signal? They only get away with that because enough people find it great. Now HD Lite, that"s not even compressed 1080i quality (usually). This thread, which ended 10 years ago, needs to be revisited. Simple question. Does Dish use a HD Lite signal. Does Directv?

But resolution is only part of it. If one provider gives you full 1920x1080 but another gives you a lower resolution and they both have the same bit rate, the lower resolution picture would suffer from less artifacts during movement and be preferred by many. Reality is all providers are giving us HD lite these days in some sort of fashion. You just get to pick the least obtrusive to you.

Let's also remember that 2 of the "Big 4" broadcast in 1080i and 2 broadcast in 720p. Does that mean the picture quality of the 720p stations are worse than the 1080i station? ;) Proof that resolution alone does not make for a great picture.

Let's also remember that 2 of the "Big 4" broadcast in 1080i and 2 broadcast in 720p. Does that mean the picture quality of the 720p stations are worse than the 1080i station? ;) Proof that resolution alone does not make for a great picture.
Still a simple question that begs to be answered. Does Dish provide HD Lite or full 1080? How about Directv?

Directv is Full res HD in 720 and 1080.

Dish is full res HD in 720 but it's 1080 is HD lite.

It doesn't matter how you want to sugar coat it.

Dish is bandwidth starved, and Directv isn't.
I've had both systems for a number of years.
I have a 50 tv Directv commercial setup and Directv PQ is better no question about it.
Dish HD is okay.
But definitely has room for improvement.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

But fitting 1440 into a 1920 space means less detail.
Compression is a whole other subject that just gives more reason not to compromise the Full resolution .

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Some HD channels look better on Dish and some look better on DirecTV. SD is definitely much better on Dish. That's a direct comparison on the same TV using a Hopper 3 and a Genie HR54. And that's the facts.

Since you have had dish for 16 years, let me ask you, does it look like it has improved to you or has it remained the same? IMO that's all that matters in the end. If they up the resolution and I have to ask if it happened, then it did not really matter ;)

Directv is Full res HD in 720 and 1080.

Dish is full res HD in 720 but it's 1080 is HD lite.

It doesn't matter how you want to sugar coat it.

Dish is bandwidth starved, and Directv isn't.
I've had both systems for a number of years.
I have a 50 tv Directv commercial setup and Directv PQ is better no question about it.
Dish HD is okay.
But definitely has room for improvement.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
How do you know DirecTv is not bandwidth starved? I would argue it may have better PQ than DISH
but it is still bit starved compared to the source it receives. So still HD Lite

Since you have had dish for 16 years, let me ask you, does it look like it has improved to you or has it remained the same? IMO that's all that matters in the end. If they up the resolution and I have to ask if it happened, then it did not really matter ;)
I don't think any provider has improved PQ. Maintained if you are lucky, but I doubt that as well. PQ is not the primary factor for most people. For everyone on Web forums complaining about PQ there are hundreds of people who don't even think about it when picking a provider and wouldn't notice the differences even if you pointed them out.

I don't think any provider has improved PQ. Maintained if you are lucky, but I doubt that as well. PQ is not the primary factor for most people. For everyone on Web forums complaining about PQ there are hundreds of people who don't even think about it when picking a provider and wouldn't notice the differences even if you pointed them out.

Sad, but true.

I have a simple question. How does anyone know for sure that Dish transmits HD lite? Many years ago someone posted that Dish was broadcasting 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080. Since then, this has been repeated over and over in many posts for years. Has anyone actually measured this with real equipment? Or, is all of this based on people's subjective opinion based on what they think they see on the screen?

I would like to see some real data on Dish's transmission resolution and bandwidth! Does anyone have any real data?

EDIT: BTW, resolution is not the most important factor for picture quality. A lower resolution image that has higher bandwidth can look much better than a higher resolution image with lower bandwidth.

Last edited:
I have a simple question. How does anyone know for sure that Dish transmits HD lite? Many years ago someone posted that Dish was broadcasting 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080. Since then, this has been repeated over and over in many posts for years. Has anyone actually measured this with real equipment? Or, is all of this based on people's subjective opinion based on what they think they see on the screen?

I would like to see some real data on Dish's transmission resolution and bandwidth! Does anyone have any real data?

EDIT: BTW, resolution is not the most important factor for picture quality. A lower resolution image that has higher bandwidth can look much better than a higher resolution image with lower bandwidth.
There is a couple guys on DBS Talk that has actually measured it and has the equipment to measure it.

They could be members of this site as well.

But why is this information so confidential?

I see it on a day to day basis.

I have 50 TVS that have H25s hooked up.
That PQ looks better than any Dish HD thats in my house.

Far more people agree with me on that.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts