HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Dish Network's lack of Yankees has fans fuming
http://www.recordonline.com/archive/2005/09/28/noyanks2.htm
</B>
</FONT>

Here it is, the last week of the baseball season, with my Yankees and those blasted Red Sox battling for first place. A-Rod and Jeter, Mariano and Sheffield duking it out with Manny and Ortiz, Schilling and Damon.
Do or die. Playoffs or a long winter. Red Sox and Yanks. Last game of the season.
I can't watch.
I'm one of the few thousand folks around here who subscribe to the Dish Network. And as any ticked-off Yankees fan knows, Dish doesn't carry the Yes Network, which broadcasts the Yanks, including three of the final five games of the regular season.
This stinks.
Time Warner carries Yes. So does Cablevision. The other satellite company, DIRECTV, does, too.
But I live on a road that's not wired for cable. I chose Dish before the Yes Network was formed.
So I'm stuck. Just like I was all season. But now it really hurts. So I started making some calls. Lots of calls.
When I finally reached someone in corporate headquarters at Dish – after getting switched to six other employees in places like Wisconsin – he refused to comment on Dish and Yes. But he said not to count on it this year. Someone at Yes said, "It's not in the works."
Which doesn't make sense. A Dish dealer in Orange County said some customers who agree to buy Dish send the installer away when they learn Dish doesn't carry Yes and the Yanks.
And now, with the hottest playoff race in years, more and more Dish subscribers are complaining.
"I can't tell you how many calls a week I get," said the local Dish dealer.
But as I was calling around yesterday, I discovered a solution to the Yankee problem. And I don't mean getting Pedro for the last few games. Or praying that Ortiz and Manny get instant suspensions.
When I spoke with Belinda Savoy of Cronk's Electronics in Liberty, she told me all Dish subscribers could switch to DIRECTV without an installation fee or charge for equipment, as long as their credit is good. For a package that includes Yes, you pay $41.99 per month.
To which I say: Goodbye, Dish, hello, Yanks.

Steve Israel is a reporter in the Sullivan County bureau of the Times Herald-Record. He can reached at 794-3712 or sisrael@th-record.com.

Remember when Charlie said that when Cablevision got YES then Dish would get yes? Its been OVER a year since Cablevision added Yes.

Hey Charlie, put your money where your mouth is. :)

Didn't some local goverments vote to force Cable vision to pay for YES and pass that all to all Cablevision customers. It was called "The yankee's tax".

If Dish can make deals with dozens of other RSNs and not YES, My guess is that YES is the culprit in this one.

ummm Scott check out the" alt channels" for some unknown reason the blackout locks dont seem to last the entire game!! (Iwas able to watch half a game last nite..and a couple more last week (yankee's baltimore)

Dish said "no to YES" because they wanted more money from dish than what they're asking cable companies to pay.

Dear Yankee Fans,

I hope Dish Never gives in. We the rest of the nation don't give a Sh*t about the Yankees and are not going pay George so you can watch the games. Fact at the time the YES network took over the Yankee games for TV they ask Dish for 7.5 million dollars or $1 per subscriber at that time that was about 3 times what Dish was paying for all the ESPN channels at that time. SO Charlie said take a hike why should everyones bill be raised a $1 so the people in NY could watch the Yankees Games but no one else in the country could. Fact Dish also offer to sell the YES Network as a separate channel but the YES Network said NO. Fact Both DISH and Cablevision did not offer this channel the first year and lost alot of customers to DTV at that time in the Yankee Market. So I Applaud Charlie for have the Balls to stand up to George. Finally the Yankees Suck and aren't going anywhere anyway they will be lucky to make the playoffs.

Hey, the Yanks are the most watched team. If anything, we should get to watch them, and not only on Friday nights. I have considerded leaving DISH for the Yanks, but I love the HD bliss I get from DISH. If baseball was a year long event, I would say bye bye DISH. Work harder charlie. Make it a part of the eastern locals so those in Tinytown USA don't get bent out of shape.

He would if he could. Charlie offered to GIVE them the bandwidth, 100% of the revenue collected for the channel, and said that they would only be responsible for the uplink costs.

Steingrabber said NO.

If you want to bitch to someone go after George. Write MLB and get them to convince both sides to go to arbitration to find a way to get it to work if you feel so inclined.

Put YES network on it's own ala-cart channel and let those who want the Yanks that bad to pay the bucks. I couldn't care less if I ever see another Yankee game again in my life. They ARE NOT America's team!! They get WAY too much prime time the way it is now.

Stay tuned N.Y. The Mets are getting their on network next year.
I wonder who will carry them?

gunn55 said:
Stay tuned N.Y. The Mets are getting their on network next year.
I wonder who will carry them?

Since they choked again this year, maybe the price just went down......

E* will pay for an exclusive sports channel (ie. Altitude), just not if the terms are too unbalanced.

BobMurdoch said:
Since they choked again this year, maybe the price just went down......

You have to be in something to choke they weren't close this year.. no matter how hopeful I and other Mets fans were.

That said... the Mets owner isn't a Steinbrenner type.. he has a better business sense for the broadcast end and I think you'll find come January when they light the Mets network up a transmission agreement will be there.. if not then just before baseball season.

Wilpon isn't a fool like Steinbrenner is in that sense.

Cheers,
Sam

GaryPen said:
That's a lot of "facts" in your post. Unless you are one of the priniples in the negotiations, you should replace all instances of the word "fact" in your post with the word "supposition".

All my facts come from Charlies mouth himself via the Charlie/Retailer Chats or at Team Summit from what he stated I just don't pull numbers out of the air. When I hear something from the CEO of a company I conceder it to be a fact.

The Yankees are the most watch team by having the largest TV market and ESPN putting them on so much and forcing people to watch them.

Just remember this Charlie is worth 7.1 billion dollars (as per Forbes) and He is worried about saving me a buck on my bill. My hat is off to Charlie in this case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)